The Shooters Club

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Let it go already.. Its old news..

You should learn to move on with your life.. Its not that important..:D

Besides my daughter loves her new P22..:rofl: :rofl:

bird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2006
    Quite True.....

Yea, I agree Swampy,

By the way: Merry Christmas, Hanukah, Quanza, Football Sunday, Festivus, and respect to the litany of other religious observances that help get us through the winter :x: It's just that nothing effects me more when I get accused of things I didn't do and secondly when one makes up lies about it. There are so many quality gun shops around and I’m grateful that I didn’t give money to one that ultimately was awful to me and many others. I had meant to delete my post today at work but ended up being too busy to do so (for your exact mentioned reason...just drop it and let it go). Glad to know someone bought the Limited Edition and enjoys it.
    Sincere Best Holiday Regards,
    ^v^

Last edited:

bird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2006
    I have no interest in that :-P

Hello,

Actually, that would go by the Parish courts and St. Tammany and Jefferson are relatively cutting edge ;) by Louisiana standards. There is certainly no shortage of quality lawyers where I live that I have developed positive relationships with from my social work career. MOST IMPORTANTLY, as my last post suggested, Please let's just drop it. I would rather read and write about potential firearm purchases and what is going on in the firearm community on this forum: target shooting/hunting. I was referred here by someone else that had a bad experience @ shooter's club and found this to be a great forum for locals. A bad experience with shooters is all I will chalk it up to. For me, if people lie and are aggressive(even in writing) there is always a reason for it. I said what I wanted to say, responded to fabrications which in retrospect I should have just ignored. Regardless, it is the holidays and I've stopped stirring the pot on this thread... others will hopefully do so as well.
    Sincere Best Regards,
    ^v^

glockthirtysix

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    First of all I am here to defend Shooters' and all of their employees. I don't work there. I am one of the guilty that walks around "armed" (benefits of having a CCW) and I usually hang out there before going to work. The staff does what they can, as soon as they can and I have nothing but respect for those who are willing to help out all of the "newbie's" and us old veterans of shooting. They usually have 10 people standing in the shop at any given moment and to have to deal with the ignorant is a talent. Not to mention that the phone rings non-stop and on top of that, the have to call in NICS checks... I've been hanging/shopping there since, well, for a long time. I've seen the guys who work there come and go, including Morey, who is a great guy and even better gunsmith, and a good friend. He's built several pistols for me in the past and I speak to him often as I now consider him a good friend. I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet him or become his friend if it wasn't for Shooters. Not to mention, the countless other folks I've met there that I now speak to almost daily.
    Sometimes you have to wait for a lane. So what? Sometimes they have to order something for you because it's not currently in the shop or they sold out. Again, so what? That's business.
    It's nice (sorry to quote "Cheers") to go where everyone knows your name. It's true. If you go there and treat the staff like they are there to help you and not spend a few minutes to have a conversation, well they will treat you the same. As a customer, you are entitled to that. But you are also afforded the same luxury at Wal Mart. I don't go to Wally world to hang out and have conversations, I go there to get what I need and leave. If you treat Shooters the same way, well you get what you give.
    Also, every person has their own experiences with Shooters, Elliot's, etc. Personally my experiences have been great. I take the time to talk to the guys and share my thoughts and opinions with them. I had nothing but BAD experiences with Elliot's. I don't recommend them to ANYONE. I, however, recommend Shooters to EVERYONE. I make my experience with Shooters a good one with some help from the staff. So if anyone has a problem with Shooters, you should consider yourself part of the equation an reevaluate what it was that makes a "bad" experience.
    To those who likes Shooters, see you there!

bloencustoms

Individual Right
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2007
    Jefferson
    Well, I'd like to weigh in. I have bought a couple of Kimbers there, and hundreds of dollars in reloading equipment, AR15 parts, 1911 mags and parts, etc. I like the parts selection they have, I like that they stay open late enough to get some shooting in after a work day. I also think some of the staff are knowledgeable people. Nobody's perfect. I had some sights installed by a staff member a while ago on a 1911 and they peened the new sights in the process of installing them. Bear in mind, thiswas partially my fault, because they did inform me that their regular gunsmith was not present in the store, and I told them I did not want to wait. The did their level best to accomodate me. Unfortunately this resulted in some minor cosmetic damage to the new sights. Well, I'm not too anal about this particular gun, so I really don't care. This hasn't stopped me from continuing to give them my business. In fact, I will probably be buying a small pocket pistol next time I'm in town, and I'll be buying it from SC when the time comes.

I have been there at times when the staff was running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I have seen people be vociferously ejected from the store for attempting straw purchases. I have also had staff spend a good 15 minutes searching their stock for a specific part just to help me out. None of them know me personally, they might recognize me, but I have never been treated rudely. Perhaps this is because I don't mind waiting until the store clears out a bit before monoplizing their time. Heck, it's a gun store! There are rows of nifty gadgets to look at while you're waiting for them to deal with other customers.

As far as the old range in the power blvd location, yeah it's a little small. Sometimes the target trolley doesn't work all that great, etc. But it's a place to shoot, and that fills a need in the Metairie area. I really enjoy shooting so much that I don't care how small the lanes are. If I'm shooting, I'm happy.

Another thing that I really like is their target refunds. They don't charge you for targets you don't use. They don't have to do that. They do it out of courtesy. I've never been to any other range and been able to bring back a target and not get charged for it.

So, on a whole, and to answer the original post that started this thread, I shoot there. I like the place.

My recommendations? If you have a lot of questions, be prepared to wait until the store clears out a bit. Would you rathe have them answered hastily by someone in a hurry, or carefully by someone with the time to concentrate on your inquiry? Selecting a gun for defense is an important descision. Have the patience to wait until you can get good focused advice. Some of the staff actually know a thing or two. Heck, they even went so far as to look up some reloading data for me one time, when they weren't too busy.

Finally, nobody's perfect. If you own a particular gun, and have read every book, visited every website and own every blueprint ofr that gun, don't get into an argument over some nuance of the gun's operation with a gun store clerk. You might actually know something they don't, but it's not your job to educate them. They probably know more about more types of guns than you ever will, so let one or two minor bits of misinformation slide once in a while.

It amazes me how much of a pissing match people get into over technicalities when it comes to guns. Everyone, and I mean everyone, thinks they know everything there is to know about some gun or another. Best to let it be.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    As long as the manager of Shooter's club is involved in this forum, I would like to express a concern.
    Back in February I walked into SC to look for a Kel-tec P3-AT and to talk to Maurey about a replacement front sight for my S&W. I had discussed it with him several months earlier and it was going to be an involved project where I would be without the gun for an extended period of time and was now ready to let him work on it.
    I eventually made it to the counter after walking around the store for quite a while (as I expected as they don't have enough staff to handle the crowds- this isn't a gripe as there isn't any more room for more staff! I understand the problem and waited patiently.) I asked if Maurey was in the back and was told he doesn't work there anymore. The attitude that came across was 'I'm glad he's gone.' I asked if he knew where Maurey when and was told 'no clue' and the salesman abruptly turned to the next customer. After having Maurey work on several small projects for me successfully (not to mention seeming to be a very hard worker for quite a while) I was disappointed. I managed to get the salesman's attention back and asked who was going to be doing the gunsmithing and was told 'no one'. OK.
    As I had already searched the case for a P3AT without success I asked if they had another coming in. Answer: 'eventually'. Can I order and pay for one now? 'no, just keep calling until one comes in.' Yea, sure I have time to do that, and I had already heard the warmth in the employees voices when they had to stop to answer phone calls.
    I walked out and called Nick's in Garyville. I had my P3 in about 2 weeks. It was out of my way, and slightly more expensive, but the customer service was excellent.
    I know ya'll are busy and understaffed. BTDT. I am patient, but I expect when it is my turn to be treated politely and to have my questions answered. I know you don't want your employees turning away business, even if it wasn't a large sale. Putting down former employees is never proper unless you had him arrested for embezeling or something.
    I'm not bashing your store. I've been in many times, and have been back since then for some small items. I would have brought this to a manager's attention had one been present at the time or if even knew who the manager was when I went back.
    I'd honestly like to see improvement in the shop. As space is an issue how about routing calls offsite? 99% could be answered without being in the shop (order status, hours, etc.).
    Thanks for listening to me gripe...

Bamboozled!!!

Finds ass with BOTH hands
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2006
    Maurey did some outstanding work on several of mine
    I wish I knew where landed also

jayd,

Good news. Maurey now has his own shop. It is on Jefferson Highway right next to the Italian Pie restaurant. And no, I'm not Maurey and I'm not involved with the business.

CRab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2007
    Metairie
    I know this is an old post but I just wanted to share my experiences regarding Shooters.

I've actually purchased three guns using Shooter's. My fiance and I usually shoot every couple weeks, sometimes once a week. I've had a membership there since right after the storm when I purchased my first firearm. We both, my fiance and I, have our CHP's now having taken our class there. We really like both locations, the lack of A/C keeps us away from the new place, but it's still nice. Generally we just go to the Jeff Gun location.

The last time we were there they had this young black guy in the lane next to us, he rented a G36. He was afraid to shoot it at first. I fired a couple rounds, he went and traded it for a G19/G26, don't really remember. He didn't really know what he was doing(really like racking the slide for some reason), he was actually making the fiance nervous. I tried to help him out, although I'm not sure he was really listening. He actually looked a bit "thuggish":rolleyes:, I think he was pretty young though...corn rows, over sized t-shirt and an orange safety vest:biglaugh:. Seemed nice enough, didn't know enough about guns to be in the range yet though. I forget the guy's names but the two working behind the counter were the tall black guy and the short white guy with the glasses, actually I think they both wear glasses.

In the two and a half years I've been a member that was really the only time we had a strange experience. I say strange because for all I know the kid just wanted to start shooting, though I was watching him like a hawk the entire time he was in there. I've got no trouble helping a new shooter out.

I've got no reason to go any place else really, and all the people I've dealt with have been helpful, even the owner. Their prices aren't so bad(though I don't buy ammo there), and they have a pretty diverse selection of handguns. I think if they moved into a larger place and started selling the hunting stuff they would quadruple their business. Though I have no clue what their aim is longterm.

Anyhow, I recommend it to everyone I know that wants to start shooting or is interested in a CHP. I think they're good people.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I know this is an old post but I just wanted to share my experiences regarding Shooters.

I've actually purchased three guns using Shooter's. My fiance and I usually shoot every couple weeks, sometimes once a week. I've had a membership there since right after the storm when I purchased my first firearm. We both, my fiance and I, have our CHP's now having taken our class there. We really like both locations, the lack of A/C keeps us away from the new place, but it's still nice. Generally we just go to the Jeff Gun location.

The last time we were there they had this young black guy in the lane next to us, he rented a G36. He was afraid to shoot it at first. I fired a couple rounds, he went and traded it for a G19/G26, don't really remember. He didn't really know what he was doing(really like racking the slide for some reason), he was actually making the fiance nervous. I tried to help him out, although I'm not sure he was really listening. He actually looked a bit "thuggish":rolleyes:, I think he was pretty young though...corn rows, over sized t-shirt and an orange safety vest:biglaugh:. Seemed nice enough, didn't know enough about guns to be in the range yet though. I forget the guy's names but the two working behind the counter were the tall black guy and the short white guy with the glasses, actually I think they both wear glasses.

In the two and a half years I've been a member that was really the only time we had a strange experience. I say strange because for all I know the kid just wanted to start shooting, though I was watching him like a hawk the entire time he was in there. I've got no trouble helping a new shooter out.

I've got no reason to go any place else really, and all the people I've dealt with have been helpful, even the owner. Their prices aren't so bad(though I don't buy ammo there), and they have a pretty diverse selection of handguns. I think if they moved into a larger place and started selling the hunting stuff they would quadruple their business. Though I have no clue what their aim is longterm.

Anyhow, I recommend it to everyone I know that wants to start shooting or is interested in a CHP. I think they're good people.

Hello, CRab! I see you followed my advice and came on over. Glad to have you.

Happy shooting!

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I'll give an unbiased report of SC I am going there today while visiting folks in NOLA.. My lil brother needs his cherry popped and introduced to BRD..

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    I'll give an unbiased report of SC I am going there today while visiting folks in NOLA.. My lil brother needs his cherry popped and introduced to BRD..

you should really head over to 10-8 Tactical (5644 Jefferson Hwy) ... it's just a hop, skip and a jump from SC, and MUCH better service, people and prices ;)

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I know this is an old thread, but what time is the new range open? And what is the Jefferson gun club's hours of operation?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Oh wow. I can't believe all the crap I read in this thread. I used to have extensive dealings with Shooters Club. I bought my Kel-Tec P3-AT from them for about $230 back in 2006, and though I had to wait forever to get someone to help me I was pleased with the pistol.

Overall experience: The David Drive location is the worst gun dealer experience I have EVER had including Eliotts. They were beyond horrible. I went there to shoot a couple times each month, and each time I went I got the feeling that if I looked at them funny they'd throw me out. The antagonism towards customers at that store cannot possibly be described. All they had going for them was the range. Without that I'd have never gone back after the first experience. The only three rays of hope I encountered there were the serene old guy who hung out there at the end of the counter, Maury, and one young guy who became the Harahan site worker for many months, until he told me he would be sent back to the David Dr. location. Crap! I won't be shooting at ANY Shooters' Club location for a long time.

The Harahan location was nice, but the young guy who worked there said he we reassigned back to Davaid Dr. Bad news fopr me.

Nick's is infinitely more professional. Not only that, but at Nick never once has some hoody fanned me with a gun. Three years of shooting there. Not once. If you can spare the 30 minutes, go to Nicks.

Top Bottom