For the panic buyers: How much ammo is enough

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I was thinking about this today at work, and I'm curious. Almost everyone is buying up ammo like crazy, but how much is enough for *you*? If you're one of the panic buyers and are trying to buy as much as you can find, do you have a limit that says "Ok, I feel comfortable now"? If you had purchased 2k rounds, is that enough or do you feel 10k or even 50k is still not enough. I'm just curious as I'm not really feeling the panic setting in, so I have no frame of reference.

I hope the question above doesn't sound condescending or confrontational, as it is not intended to be in any way. This is an opinion question only, so there is no wrong answer.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Panic mode right now?

About a magazine or two's worth. Or however much you want to go shoot at the range.

No ammo bans are on the table to my knowledge.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I guess what I'm thinking, is at what point do you feel you can stop panic buying. And that's the indefinite you, as in anyone who feels they've been doing the panic buying. Does the guy with 20k rounds still go out and buy everything he can find, or does he feel, when he hits a certain level, "No, I don't need to buy anymore 9mm or .223". I never really considered a limit to this question until today.

I'm just curious what others think.

Then again, it's possible that nobody needed any additional clarification and I've just posted for no reason. :rofl:

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    If i were a gun grabber how whould i get around the second amendment? Ban or regulate your ammo to the point of extenction and the Comerce clause gives congress the tool to do it if they want. So maybe not a total ban on ammo but putting so many regulations on ammo producers that it becomes a margin killer. EPA and Corps of Engineers kill more devlopment with regulations not laws using the clean water act as the door to excessive regulation. Maybe Homeland Security will require a micro stamp on every casing and a matching stamp on every projectile? Then lets say they decide to make it so you have to fill out paperwork to buy ammo and no more online sales. Laws like that would make ammo so expensive you could not afford to shoot. im shocked that the EPA has not mandated that you store ammo in certian fasion and allow ATF inspectors to see the ammo on demand. Agian it doesnt mess with the 2nd amendment but sure cramps your shooting / training style. SO the point of my rant is even though there is no ammo ban on the table right now, you can never have enough.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Depends a lot on the scenario you foresee. If you think that there may be government regulation imposed on ammo in some form or fashion and you want to keep shooting weekly or monthly, then I agree with what most have said, "There is no such thing as too much".
    If you see TEOTWAWKI and you are gonna ride it out in your specially chosen place, More is better as you can use it for protection and barter. Again, No such thing as too much.
    If you see a SHTF shift and you are gonna bug out and you gotta leave stuff behind, then no more than you can carry.
    Personally... I'm still buying when it's priced right and I've got more than I can carry.
    Charlie

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Closet !!!

Damn...Cleaning out the closet and out jump's this...
    Someday's it pay's to be a prepper...
    I'm sure i have more ?

Attachments

• closet (800x600).jpg
      closet (800x600).jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 200

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    No such thing as too much ammo, but I am finding I need less and less as the prices climb. Primers and .22lr is what I tend to be going after. Can't reload .22 and can't reload without primers.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Damn...Cleaning out the closet and out jump's this...
    Someday's it pay's to be a prepper...
    I'm sure i have more ?
    Nice score!
    I thought it was just me. I cleaned out my truck today(last time was in August just before harvest started) and found 500 rounds of 7.62X39 a couple bricks of .22fed auto match and a 100rd WWB .40!

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    My situation

Before all of this mess started, I had 6K each of 9MM and 45 ACP. 1K of 7.62x39, 800 rounds of 5.56 and 200 rounds of .223. I also have 6K of 22 LR and 1K of 380. I have 500 rounds of the Russian stuff for the Mosin Nagant. 500 rounds of the 38 special and 357. I don't have a goal as I bought all of my stuff prior to the craziness. I think I will keep whatI have as a baseline and pick up 50 round packs as I find them if they are reasonable for playing with until things calm down.:)

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Cool Deal, I've been picking up over the year's, It only took me one hurricane to make a believer out of me...Oh just found another 1500 rd's of 22lr...I'm good for awhile.

Nice score!
    I thought it was just me. I cleaned out my truck today(last time was in August just before harvest started) and found 500 rounds of 7.62X39 a couple bricks of .22fed auto match and a 100rd WWB .40!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I guess what I'm thinking, is at what point do you feel you can stop panic buying. And that's the indefinite you, as in anyone who feels they've been doing the panic buying. Does the guy with 20k rounds still go out and buy everything he can find, or does he feel, when he hits a certain level, "No, I don't need to buy anymore 9mm or .223". I never really considered a limit to this question until today.

I'm just curious what others think.

Then again, it's possible that nobody needed any additional clarification and I've just posted for no reason. :rofl:

Depends on how much and what you shoot...

I've got 20-50k of the main rounds I shoot... And I feel as if I can ignore the panic.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I value it as a commodity to park wealth into, so I don't have enough of it just as I never have enough in my 401k. I balance it and make wise decisions as necessary. It's mostly a hedge, than an investment.

"Enough" would be if I had enough to last a lifetime of shooting, and beyond that, surplus/profit.

It's a consumable with a pretty good shelf life.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Thanks all for the input. I wasn't sure if this was unusual buying as a panic or really a manifestation of standard buying practices just slightly compressed. It seems most people aren't panic buying, just purposely looking and buying when they can.

As I've just started collecting ammo, I'm at 200 rounds each on 9mm and 40. However, I expect to be adding to that as the days and paychecks come by. I still don't plan to pay more than reasonable prices, i.e. no 2x or 3x what it's normally worth, and I have time on my side I think, generally speaking. I am actually trying to explain the value of reloading to my wife, but she's been exposed to the firearms scene a bit on the quick side so she needs time to digest all this before I spring any more on her.

I was actually thinking somewhere between 2k and 5k would been enough, but now I'm not sure. Hmm, time to put the thinking cap back on.

:beer:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom