380 question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Would it be better to use hollow points or FMJ's for the extra penetration? This is for self defense purposes. The hollow points I've shot preform well but do not penetrate very well. I worry that they may not even penetrate the chest plate of a large man

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Well, FMJs WILL penetrate a man's chest.... That being said, I don't think anyone here will ever tell you FMJ is better out of a pistol than HPs. WITH that in mind, if you do choose HP loads to carry, you need to buy TWO boxes of that load, one to shoot and one to carry. You need to know that it will feed and function in your defense gun. Don't be lazy on this part, it'll get you killed.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A cast lead bullet would be my choice. 380 acp just isn't going fast enough to cause HP's to reliably expand in people despite what you see in ballistic jello. I've seen plenty of people shot with 380 acp and their x rays afterwards. If fact most handgun rounds don't expand. You need a velocity 2100 fps at a minimum to reliably cause a HP to expand. If you do pick a HP just make it'll penetrate at least 16 inches of ballistic jello. So that being said I don't think that for that caliber FMJ would be a bad choice. It has the most chance of getting through a rib for example to hit something vital.

I recommend watching the video attached to the below link. It is the best lecture I've seen in that it totally follows what I've personally seen with 20 years in the field. It was given to Paramedics like myself. Educate yourself by watching the video. Then don't read any of the gun rags and make a decision based on medical science not who paid for the most advertising that month in a magazine.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?89728-Gunshot-wound-lecture-from-ER-surgeon

Dave

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    The only "critical issue" with any handgun round is shot placement. It's not going to bounce off the bridge of their nose.... CNS shot for the win, FMJ or HP or otherwise.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Would it be better to use hollow points or FMJ's for the extra penetration? This is for self defense purposes. The hollow points I've shot preform well but do not penetrate very well. I worry that they may not even penetrate the chest plate of a large man

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

This website deals with many calibers of self defense ammo, including the .380, and if nothing else, it will provide you with a starting point for more research...

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La

I like Hornaday Critical defense, or Critical Duty ammo. Just my choice (opinion) every body's got their own. It's all good.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I agree with the posters warning to be careful in bullet selection. Stephen Camp did some interesting, but by no means extensive testing of a few .380 defense loads. I'd check those out. I'd like to see more testing of Hornady's all copper bullets or their XTPs. While the copper bullets get good expansion, their actual surface area is less than more traditional hollow points. The XTPs have a good track record for reliable expansion, but to a more limited diameter to increase penetration.

I'd also be weary of the gun I was shooting. With an already marginal cartridge, shorter barrel lengths may make a major difference in your selected bullet's performance.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    When I carry my bodyguard I stagger Speer GD and FMJ, with them two and placement something HOPEFULLY will get the job done.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    When I carry my bodyguard I stagger Speer GD and FMJ, with them two and placement something HOPEFULLY will get the job done.

I personally advise against this practice. Two differant loads with two differant POI and recoil characteristics. Just my opinion, but I'd pick one and stick with it.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere

When I carry my Taurus 738, I have it loaded with Speer GDs. I did a huge amount of ballistics and performance research. The 90gr. SGDs kept coming up as one of the highest rated and most consistent performers in .380 ACP.

Just as a side note, I use 124gr. +P (Short Barrel) SGDs in my 9mm and they are flawless in every respect.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I personally advise against this practice. Two differant loads with two differant POI and recoil characteristics. Just my opinion, but I'd pick one and stick with it.
    I agree where this would be a problem with different guns dif people but with this little gun and the rounds I have put through and the long hard trigger pull i have it down pat. I have also shot this pattern through many many mags just to make sure it will work for me as anyone should with their EDC. I do understand though and I appreciate the input and I dont think it would work for my g 19 which is my choice EDC.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I have heard some people say they carry HP during warm weather, and FMJ when its cold. This is due to the FMJ being able to penetrate heavy clothing better than HP's. Is that true? Hell if I know! I keep HP's in mine all the time, but it might be worth looking into further.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have heard some people say they carry HP during warm weather, and FMJ when its cold. This is due to the FMJ being able to penetrate heavy clothing better than HP's. Is that true? Hell if I know! I keep HP's in mine all the time, but it might be worth looking into further.

The 30,000 LEO of NY City use 124+P Gold Dots year round and last time I was there it was pretty cold.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Try Powr' Ball in +P,if they have it. It's a hollow point with a polymer ball. Kinda like Critical Defense but with more mass in the front of the projectile. I think they were originally designed to defeat windshields.

Currently,I carry 165grn Critical Defense in my G23 but contemplating 180grn in a bonded HP.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

98% of gun owners wouldn't be effected by the difference, 99.999% couldn't tell the difference under stress, and 90% will be shooting them out of mouse guns with no sights to speak of in the first place.

In a perfect world, your advice is sound-- but for most people, it's essentially a non-issue, akin to running 93 octane in a Prius.

The +p Hardcast would probably be Hell on hits for the average Joe with a Keltec or Ruger. If I were stuck with .380 and a mouse gun, it's probably the one thing I'd handoad SD rounds for... That aside, I'd probably tote the heaviest FMJ's I could find.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    A cast lead bullet would be my choice. 380 acp just isn't going fast enough to cause HP's to reliably expand in people despite what you see in ballistic jello. I've seen plenty of people shot with 380 acp and their x rays afterwards. If fact most handgun rounds don't expand. You need a velocity 2100 fps at a minimum to reliably cause a HP to expand. If you do pick a HP just make it'll penetrate at least 16 inches of ballistic jello. So that being said I don't think that for that caliber FMJ would be a bad choice. It has the most chance of getting through a rib for example to hit something vital.

I recommend watching the video attached to the below link. It is the best lecture I've seen in that it totally follows what I've personally seen with 20 years in the field. It was given to Paramedics like myself. Educate yourself by watching the video. Then don't read any of the gun rags and make a decision based on medical science not who paid for the most advertising that month in a magazine.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?89728-Gunshot-wound-lecture-from-ER-surgeon

Dave

This is one of the few factual comments on this thread. Don't carry a .380. If you have no other option carry one loaded with solids. I'd rather carry a .32 than a .380.

Top Bottom