GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" WOW! Worth the watch!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Easily the most educational 27 minutes I've ever spent on Youtube.

I almost passed on it b/c it was so long but I'm glad I didn't!

Subscribed! You will learn something from this video if not a notebook full!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I saw these before I got my "safe" but I was in the market for size and wanted a little more protection than a wooden gun cabinet with glass doors.
    I'm satisfied with what I have but maybe one day ... Maybe.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My view in safes is that they just slow a motivated thief down and offer some kind of fire protection. If somebody wants something bad enough, they are going to get it.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My view in safes is that they just slow a motivated thief down and offer some kind of fire protection. If somebody wants something bad enough, they are going to get it.

Yea but just how long do they have? Some of these safe's in the video would take SPECIAL equipment to get into and hours of it on top of that.

Hell one of them was so thick it weighed like 2 1/2 tons!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Pretty much why I have not bothered. It's about as useful as a "gun free zone" sign. Just shows em where they all are is about it.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Yea but just how long do they have? Some of these safe's in the video would take SPECIAL equipment to get into and hours of it on top of that.

Actually a person with a more than thug IQ can walk in with just a few small items in their pocket and open any of those safes without damage and take what they want. Well not just any person, one has to know the proper ways.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You don't need the 4 way bolts or the insane amount of bolts Fort Knox has. But yeah, most gun "safes" are pretty poorly made. Best bet is buying an old safe that has been restored that was used to store something like Jewelery or Cash. There is a place out of Atlanta that sells refurbished Diebold safes for a good price, these are SAFES, not RSC's, but rarely do they have one tall enough for long guns, but great for a large handgun collection.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    You don't need the 4 way bolts or the insane amount of bolts Fort Knox has. But yeah, most gun "safes" are pretty poorly made. Best bet is buying an old safe that has been restored that was used to store something like Jewelery or Cash. There is a place out of Atlanta that sells refurbished Diebold safes for a good price, these are SAFES, not RSC's, but rarely do they have one tall enough for long guns, but great for a large handgun collection.

The old safes like this are more secure especially since they have the old dial combination lock which even for the old safe crackers would take some time if they could get at it. My main concern is fire protection. If your guns are stolen, there is always a possibility of getting them back, but in a fire, that is the end of them basically.

Last edited:

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    If you need a newly made or custom safe that would be worthy as a backup to a bank vault, I highly recommend contacting Graffunder.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell

Its the law of diminishing returns. At some point you have to find what is "enough" for your needs. I can't personally justify paying what some of those safes companies are asking. I'm happy with what I have, except for the fact that it keeps getting smaller. :dunno:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The old safes like this are more secure especially since they have the old dial combination lock which even for the old safe crackers would take some time if they could get at it. My main concern is fire protection. If your guns are stolen, there is always a possibility of getting them back, but in a fire, that is the end of them basically.
    Nah, bayoushooter will buy a new glock for you.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I personally insure my guns... I don't want guns back that have been stolen or in a fire. Now my Grandpa's Winchester Model 12, Great uncles double barrel that got confiscated during WWII because he was Italian and my dads Remington 1100 my Grandfather gave him as a gift will get the best protection available when they come into my hands.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If you have a home security system, a safe slows someone down long enough for the police to arrive.

Someone could smash into your home and grab quite a lot of valuable stuff and be out in seconds. A five minute response time would allow someone to grab quite a lot, even worse if they already know where to look.

Sure some professional safe cracker would bypass the home alarm and open the safe real quick, but outside of Hollywood these people do not exist. And the ones that do exist are going after bigger fish than you and me.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I personally insure my guns... I don't want guns back that have been stolen or in a fire. Now my Grandpa's Winchester Model 12, Great uncles double barrel that got confiscated during WWII because he was Italian and my dads Remington 1100 my Grandfather gave him as a gift will get the best protection available when they come into my hands.

The idea is that with a safe your guns don't get stolen and/or survive the fire untouched.

Really though I don't see many safes surviving a big home fire.

Top Bottom