New Range in Killian

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Hey guys, I just wanted to announce that KPD will be constructing a new firing range / training facility in Killian. It will be a police range but open to the public on some weekends every month. The address isn't announced yet but it will be near the old airstrip. The facilities of the range will be:

25 yard gravel pistol range
    50 yard rifle range
    Covered line @ 50 yards

More facilities will be dependent on fundraising efforts by KPD. I'm going to hold a meeting at the Killian town hall late march, open to the public, to address concerns and give a presentation on the project. Everyone is welcome to come.
    I will update periodically.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Hell yeah. I'm glad they're doing this. Amite and Slidell are entirely too far away for me to go to on a regular basis. Hopefully by the time it is constructed, ammo prices will have come back down to earth.

I would like to see it available more often than "some weekends every month", I'd actually like to see it available to anyone who can provide a Hunter Education Certificate, POST Qualification, Military ID, or Concealed Handgun Permit.

Those of us who shot regularly on our own property without ever causing a problem are being suffered to follow "General Ordinances. Sec. 11-3 Hunting, Discharge of Weapons, etc. (c) Must be 100' from a roadway and 500' from a residence." Sounds fine and all, but it should be changed to something along the lines of "100' from a road way, and in a safe direction."

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Amite range is closer to Hammond than the proposed Killian range.
    If you do not like the Livingston Parish Ordinance about shooting you should read the East Baton Rouge Ordinance.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I am literally parked at the site right now. I'm excited you guys are supportive of the idea. This is kind of my baby. I pitched the idea to my chief, who is extremely supportive, and we're moving forward. The town will provide $0.00 in funding, but has allowed the project.

I'm in the looking for funding and surveying the site stage right now. After the first fundraiser I'll have a better idea on the timescale.

I'm Trying to get corporate sponsorships, and if I do I'll crash the project and have a backstop within a couple of months.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So you want public donations for a range that will only be open to the public a few days out of the month? Seems like a hard sell, but good luck.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    If you do not like the Livingston Parish Ordinance about shooting you should read the East Baton Rouge Ordinance.

Killian is the epitome of "out in the sticks", apples and oranges. That's like saying someone in Cali should appreciate their gun laws, since they're not as bad as NY's. But enough derailing this thread.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    So you want public donations for a range that will only be open to the public a few days out of the month? Seems like a hard sell, but good luck.

Thanks, Debbie Downer. It will be open as often as there are RO's available. Right now that's just one person, and I'm not about to ask him to give every weekend. Would you be interested in bring an RO for public range days?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Depending on the dates I'd be glad to. Would the air strip be on land you would be able to use for the range?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Killian is the epitome of "out in the sticks", apples and oranges. That's like saying someone in Cali should appreciate their gun laws, since they're not as bad as NY's. But enough derailing this thread.

I stated facts and your reply makes no sense.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i just hope its more "open to the public" than the amite range. with all the clubs and other stuff up there it averages 1 day every other month.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Depending on the dates I'd be glad to. Would the air strip be on land you would be able to use for the range?

That's outstanding and I appreciate it, if you're serious about being an RO, and if we can get more people volunteering we could open to the public a lot.

I'm not understanding the second half. What do you mean?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I think he's asking if you can convert the air strip to a longer rifle range.

Oh, at this time that's not really feasible. The old airstrip is overgrown and the range will run parallel due to the topography. One of the things I did this afternoon was map out a possible 100yrd range, but it will require a full length whisker berm and I'm not sure if we can get enough funding.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Roger that, in EBR it's half a mile for a rifle or pistol from a road or house and 500' for a shotgun. Not many places you can shoot a rifle or pistol legally. I can't on my 55 acres.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Oh, at this time that's not really feasible. The old airstrip is overgrown and the range will run parallel due to the topography. One of the things I did this afternoon was map out a possible 100yrd range, but it will require a full length whisker berm and I'm not sure if we can get enough funding.

Sorry for being vague in my last post now that I have a minute I'll try and expand. I don't think range sponsorships will do much for you if the range isn't open to the public regularly, the same applies for donations. Obviously Killian PD has been going without their own for some time now so getting backing based on need isn't going to happen.

Without anything to put behind it, it will appear as though a CHP instructor is trying to get a range put by your house, under the guise of police and public use(no range fees for students which would increase profit kinda thing). Converting the airstrip into a longer range would give the range something most other local ranges don't have. That would give the range validity, a purpose, and a bigger appeal to sponsors.

If you just tell people it's another PD range that they might be able to go to every now and again, and is nothing special they won't care. If you tell them its a free place to shoot 300+ yards I think they'd care.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom