Why is a $3K 1911 better than a $389 Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I asked this in another thread that seems to have met it's untimely demise. I'm curious to know if there is a reasonable explanation as to why.

I've never owned a 1911. I've shot a few, and it was just like shooting any other pistol. I also don't like a manual safety or a grip safety on a pistol.

Also, I'm not looking to hear about how awesome the 1911 is at gun golf games. Telling me how awesome a tuned gamer gun kills cardboard and steel with reloads doesn't help answer my question. I would prefer to hear for someone who carries one daily and trains regularly with one.

Thanks.

JR1572

Last edited:

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't own a 1911 or a glock. As a gun guy though I feel it's not that one is better than the other. It's personal preference. Some like the simple glock block that "never" fails. Others like the 1911 platform along with the history and nostalgia that comes with it. To each their own.

Sent from me my phone and I.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Neither is better than the other to most people. If you shoot a 1911 well in the circumstances that you shoot in, then use it. Same for glock. Any argument can be won by a simple "but I hit every time with the xxxx". The problem is the fanbois of either can't see that fact. I own a 19 but I shoot better with my beretta 92 and 92c so that's what I carry and use. It's not that I dislike the 19 or 1911, I'm just not as good with them. I'd rather have 14 rounds of 9mm and can land 10 of them in a hurry than 16 and can only land 6, or 7 and only land 4. What brand is stamped on the firearm is the last of my worries.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    It's simple really. For some people, function is all that matters. As long as it works exactly how you expect it to, you don't care how it looks. For other people, it's not enough for something to "just" work properly, we want it to look good doing it. It's the same as the difference between a Crown Vic and a Mercedes. I would not hesitate to carry a glock because I know I can rely on it, but given the option to carry something else I know I can rely on just as much, that I also enjoy looking at, why wouldn't I?

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I own 2 1911s as well as a Glock 19

I prefer the Glock

Cool, Sir

I'd like to give you $389.00 for either of your 1911's heck make it $400.00
    Then I will be able to answer the gentlemens question lol

Uh where U guy's find $389.00 Glocks?
    Must have to have a PoPo discount huh lol

Let me know Adam I got cash in hand will meet you at the usual spot.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't own a 1911 or a glock. As a gun guy though I feel it's not that one is better than the other. It's personal preference. Some like the simple glock block that "never" fails. Others like the 1911 platform along with the history and nostalgia that comes with it. To each their own.

Sent from me my phone and I.

Personal preference is a bit of an avoidance though. I might prefer using a plastic knife over a table saw to cut lumber, however one is obviously a better choice than the other.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Neither is better than the other to most people. If you shoot a 1911 well in the circumstances that you shoot in, then use it. Same for glock. Any argument can be won by a simple "but I hit every time with the xxxx". The problem is the fanbois of either can't see that fact. I own a 19 but I shoot better with my beretta 92 and 92c so that's what I carry and use. It's not that I dislike the 19 or 1911, I'm just not as good with them. I'd rather have 14 rounds of 9mm and can land 10 of them in a hurry than 16 and can only land 6, or 7 and only land 4. What brand is stamped on the firearm is the last of my worries.

I understand that. You're missing my point though. I want to know why a $3K 1911 is better than a Glock 19.

I carry a 19 because it's what I shoot best. It's relatively easy to maintain, holds lots of bullets, easy to conceal, fits my tiny hands wells, etc...

My choice has nothing to do with the brand name. I has to do with my experience carrying pistols and input from others with more experience than myself.

JR1572

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have made the transition from a 1911 shooter who shot Weaver and worshiped at the feet of Col Cooper, to a carrier of the soaless user of the 'Fantastic Plastic' and 'modern shooting techniques'

Remember, not too long ago, other than the rare Semi Smith, or Hi Power, etc your choices were 1911 or wheelgun.

Also, relatively recent advances in pullet technology have made the differences between 9MM and 45 much less. (Not to mention the invention of the 'tween cartrages'

If you'll look at the batman movie from the 90's with the Joaker, you'll see that everyone carries a wheelgun, except the one 'special guy' who carries a 1911.

Choices were much less.

Then there's the 'boys and their toys' concept, along with the fact that till Kimber came along, if you wanted a 'nice' 1911, you bought one and immediately shipped it off for better sites, safety etc. It's almost a cultural thing.

I will freely admit that even today, a 1911 or nice Hi Power feels MUCH better, and will be more accurate in my hands.
    A Glock is just this uninspiring hunk of metal and plastic... that works.

It's a tool, whereas the others are functional works of art.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've owned and carried both. And yes, my 1911 was a $3000 Wilson. The 1911 trigger is a work of art, and they are inherently more accurate. The Glock wins in every other category. It took one training class to discover the flaws in the 1911 as a defensive pistol. The thumb safety sucks, the grip safety sucks, the capacity sucks, by design they are not as reliable (don't even bother arguing about that, it's proven), and they are unnecessarily heavy as a carry pistol.

As a weekend toy the 1911 wins. As a defensive tool the Glock wins. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    As a weekend toy the 1911 wins.

I disagree. I'd much rather have a weekend toy I can shoot, abuse, and generally treat as a toy. As far as triggers go, the trigger worked as a crutch to assist my poor trigger control, but I'm sure that I shoot a glock better now, than I shot a 1911 then.

I didn't have a 3k 1911, but I was about half way there with a TRP Operator

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Why do you prefer the Glock?

JR1572

Durability, simple to use, easy to maintain, fits my smaller hands better, price point

Coming back from the Texas Open I had an interesting conversation in regards to competition guns. Many shooters opt for $3,000 STI race guns, the latest and greatest. To a professional shooter, the performance of an STI can't be matched. However at Texas I saw countless race guns fail due to environmental issues. A little dust and your $3000 gun becomes a paper weight. I shoot a Glock in production and an M&P in Limited. Based on my skill level both of these guns are more than adequate for my needs. Also my $400 Glock performed flawlessly in the dust and dirt, mud, rain, etc.

Custom 1911s are a work of art yet my Glock suits my needs perfectly. I don't have a love of 1911 platform enough in order to justify the extra expense. Revolvers on the other hand........

Cool, Sir

I'd like to give you $389.00 for either of your 1911's heck make it $400.00
    Then I will be able to answer the gentlemens question lol

Uh where U guy's find $389.00 Glocks?
    Must have to have a PoPo discount huh lol

Let me know Adam I got cash in hand will meet you at the usual spot.

I think I'll hang onto them for a while Mayor but thanks for the offer :)

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    You're missing my point, Jr (I say that respectfully). If you shoot a 3k 1911 better, then it's a better gun *for you*.

Of course I base my thought on defense. If that 3 grand means you put more rounds on target ensuring you or your families survival, then it's a better weapon.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've owned and carried both. And yes, my 1911 was a $3000 Wilson. The 1911 trigger is a work of art, and they are inherently more accurate. The Glock wins in every other category. It took one training class to discover the flaws in the 1911 as a defensive pistol. The thumb safety sucks, the grip safety sucks, the capacity sucks, by design they are not as reliable (don't even bother arguing about that, it's proven), and they are unnecessarily heavy as a carry pistol.

As a weekend toy the 1911 wins. As a defensive tool the Glock wins. It's that simple.

Oddly enough, the 1911 was reliable enough 100 years ago in these conditions:

images

It DOES need more maintenance than the Glock (One reason I switched) another is that it was not designed to modern manufacturing methods.

I have not found the safety's to be a disadvantage, nor it being unreliable.

It does not have as durable a finsih (easily correctable) it does not have the capacity (Although I have a P14 Limited that DOES) and takes more maintenance.
    The Subcompact glocks are the REAL reason to carry a full sized or compact!
    (there is much to be said for a backup which uses the same mags)

JMHO

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I disagree. I'd much rather have a weekend toy I can shoot, abuse, and generally treat as a toy. As far as triggers go, the trigger worked as a crutch to assist my poor trigger control, but I'm sure that I shoot a glock better now, than I shot a 1911 then.

I didn't have a 3k 1911, but I was about half way there with a TRP Operator

I agree and only own and shoot what I carry. That's just me though, and I don't hold anyone else to my standards or opinions. I am giving the 1911 credit where it is due and saying I understand the fascination with them, and appreciate them for what they are. As a defensive tool however, they are just about my last choice.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you shoot a 3k 1911 better, then it's a better gun *for you*.

Not arguing with you man just this one point in general.
    It doesn't matter how well you "shoot" that fancy gun if after you draw the gun it malfunctions and costs you are a loved ones life. No reason for someone to say, I choose it because I shoot it best. Take a 1000 rounds maybe less; get formal training and I guarantee that you can shoot these new "undesirable plastic" gun real well.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    I own a g19 and a colt gold cup national match, they are hard to compare, as a hobbiest/ collector i get far more enjoyment out of the colt, i always recommend a g19, you can not go wrong with a glock and it cost easily half of my colt.

I'm in a local reserve academy and the 1911 isn't approved for carry so that's a easy decision for me personally. I'd probably carry the glock given the choice due to weight, and i dont feel bad about beating the crap out of my glock.

I think glock is a great starting point, and some people get off collecting a more practical gun, it fits in with shtf and zombie end o days type guys real well. Personally if its the end of days I'm going out in style. By starting point i mean, easy to shoot, easy to clean, easy to find parts and every thing else for, and for most people, the most important part, easy on the wallet.

My glock is no where near as smooth as the colt, but the quality is there. It is just as tough if not tougher than my colt and as i always bring up over and over, price point. It matters and its the main thing it has over the 1911 platform imo. Easy to clean is a big one, i love my glock to death based on that alone. I hate cleaing and i like a gun that makes that easy on me. It does everything i need and is very affordable.

just the rambling opinions of a guy that loves to shoot quality guns

heres a pic of a post from another forum that sums up my opinion of my glock, he states it well....we'll know its not the best when it stops getting all the attention of the "glock killers" that have been coming out for years.

1355643242655.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom