When is your Vehicle NOT an extension of your home in LA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The bad part is that particular VA is in a not so safe part of town. The savages in the .gov assisted neighborhood across the street always pop off their gats in the air on New Years Eve and July 4th. Vets have to drive to that hospital from miles around to receive care, yet they have to make the trek unarmed or risk violating federal law. Not a very safe place to be going heels.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    The bad part is that particular VA is in a not so safe part of town. The savages in the .gov assisted neighborhood across the street always pop off their gats in the air on New Years Eve and July 4th. Vets have to drive to that hospital from miles around to receive care, yet they have to make the trek unarmed or risk violating federal law. Not a very safe place to be going heels.

I totally agree, as a minister I am there often making clergy visits to church members and I HATE going through that part of town unarmed... A flat or breakdown a few blocks from the VA and it could be real bad news!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Even locked in your vehicle? I thought that the state law (vehicle is an extension of your home) would apply to state hospitals.

I ran into this problem about two years ago at the War Vets home in Jackson

WarVets002.jpg

I emailed the Administrator and this was his reply.

Louisiana Law = R.S. 14:402.1 reads the following outlined information below . . .

I hope this helps to clarify information for you. This is underscored by concerns of potential spousal abuse for employees as well as concerns lately of the groups that are picketing and demonstrating at Veteran funerals. This was signed into law and clarified in 2006 and is a required posting as we are a State of Louisiana facility.

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Jon Salter, NFA

Louisiana War Veterans Home

4739 Highway 10

Jackson, LA 70748

Phone: (225) 634-5265, ext. #256

Fax: (225) 634-4057

Email: jsalter@lwvh.com

2006 Louisiana Code - RS 14:402.1 — Taking of contraband to state-owned hospitals unlawful; penalty

§402.1. Taking of contraband to state-owned hospitals unlawful; penalty

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to introduce or attempt to introduce into or upon the grounds or buildings of any state-owned and administered hospital or related facility, except through regular channels as authorized by the administrator of the hospital, any of the following articles which are hereby declared contraband for the purposes of this Part, namely: Any intoxicating beverage or beverage which causes or may cause an intoxicating effect; any narcotic or hypnotic or exciting drug of whatever kind or nature including nasal inhalators of any variety, sleeping pills or barbiturates of any variety that create or may create a hypnotic effect if taken internally; and any firearm or other instrumentality customarily considered a dangerous weapon.

B. Whoever violates any provision of this Section shall upon conviction be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than three years.

Added by Acts 1962, No. 383, §1; Acts 2001, No. 403, §1, eff. June 15, 2001.

luv1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I ran into this problem about two years ago at the War Vets home in Jackson

WarVets002.jpg

I emailed the Administrator and this was his reply.

Louisiana Law = R.S. 14:402.1 reads the following outlined information below . . .

I hope this helps to clarify information for you. This is underscored by concerns of potential spousal abuse for employees as well as concerns lately of the groups that are picketing and demonstrating at Veteran funerals. This was signed into law and clarified in 2006 and is a required posting as we are a State of Louisiana facility.

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Jon Salter, NFA

Louisiana War Veterans Home

4739 Highway 10

Jackson, LA 70748

Phone: (225) 634-5265, ext. #256

Fax: (225) 634-4057

Email: jsalter@lwvh.com

2006 Louisiana Code - RS 14:402.1 — Taking of contraband to state-owned hospitals unlawful; penalty

§402.1. Taking of contraband to state-owned hospitals unlawful; penalty

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to introduce or attempt to introduce into or upon the grounds or buildings of any state-owned and administered hospital or related facility, except through regular channels as authorized by the administrator of the hospital, any of the following articles which are hereby declared contraband for the purposes of this Part, namely: Any intoxicating beverage or beverage which causes or may cause an intoxicating effect; any narcotic or hypnotic or exciting drug of whatever kind or nature including nasal inhalators of any variety, sleeping pills or barbiturates of any variety that create or may create a hypnotic effect if taken internally; and any firearm or other instrumentality customarily considered a dangerous weapon.

B. Whoever violates any provision of this Section shall upon conviction be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than three years.

Added by Acts 1962, No. 383, §1; Acts 2001, No. 403, §1, eff. June 15, 2001.

Well you learn something new everyday!

luv1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Maybe the security office or guard station will lock it up for you if you ask nicely?

Funny you say that, my dad saw a follow up to that story (couldn't find the link) where the VA PD said that the only legal wy to bring a firearm onto VA property was to secure the amminition in the trunk of your car (not good since I drive a truck) and then bring you weapon to yhe VA PD office inside the hospital where it would be held for you.

I didn't see that part of the story but who wants to bet that once you "hand over" your unloaded gun at VA PD they will have a reason not to return it to you when you return for it?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I totally agree, as a minister I am there often making clergy visits to church members and I HATE going through that part of town unarmed... A flat or breakdown a few blocks from the VA and it could be real bad news!

What Church are you a minister at?

Funny you say that, my dad saw a follow up to that story (couldn't find the link) where the VA PD said that the only legal wy to bring a firearm onto VA property was to secure the amminition in the trunk of your car (not good since I drive a truck) and then bring you weapon to yhe VA PD office inside the hospital where it would be held for you.

I didn't see that part of the story but who wants to bet that once you "hand over" your unloaded gun at VA PD they will have a reason not to return it to you when you return for it?

If you need to make a trip up there, I'd call up there and ask them. I've worked closely with the ones at Shreveport VA Hospital and they are all good people. If they said that was an option, I wouldn't hesitate in trusting them. 90% of them are also Vets.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I don't recall seeing a sign that included knives at the VA clinic in BR. There is certainly one covering guns.

I think most chem plants get antsy about guns in vehicles parked in their lots. This is their property and I don't believe "the vehicle is an extension of your home" applies, but I am not a lawyer.

I know some plants recognize employees go directly from work to hunt and have provisions for that.
    :eh:

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    You pass a large sign when entering saying "No guns or weapons". By entering the property, you are no longer in Louisiana territory. State and local police have no jurisdiction. The VA Police are federal officers and you go to federal court with charges they present you. There is no guard station to "leave your weapons" at...no weapons on the property. The VA police have to check their duty weapons in and out every shift, round for round, and cannot bring personal weapons. Knives under three inches are allowed.

The police are pretty agressive in searching vehicles, in fact they do a few a day. By entering the property, you consent yourself for seach. They do quite a few each day, and confiscate many MANY "weapons". ARs, pistols, knives, swords...a Barret .50 the other day. In fact, the other day they called me out from work (this is my workplace) to question me about an old empty faded out ammo box that was in my truck. Obviously empty and not recently bought.

Its completely fine with me. I had a patient try to stab me one day, and they catch people with pistols in the hospital frequently. When someone is sick/demented and wakes up to some weird dude poking at your chest, they do some crazy and violent things...which is understandable.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Um, in response to the title (And I simply can't pass this one up):

Since when IS the vehicle an extension of your home? Whichever misguided individual first misread the law, then posted on the internet, then attracted thousands of like-minded groupies...

I must ask again...since WHEN is a vehicle considered an extension of your home in LA? Just because the law considers it a constitutionally protected activity doesn't make it part of your house...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom