Lifetime CC permit bill passes house 65-19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The current cost is $125 for 5 years or $25 per year.
    With an average lifespan of 74 years a 21 year old can spend $500 for a 53 year permit at a cost of $9.43 per year.
    The 65 year old gets a real break spending $250 for a 9 year permit at a cost of $27.77 per year.
    The senior will pay 2.94 times as much per year as the 21 year old.
    So much for helping the seniors. When my current permit expires my life expectancy will be less than 5 years so no lifetime permit for me.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    With an average lifespan of 74 years a 21 year old can spend $500 for a 53 year permit at a cost of $9.43 per year.
    The 65 year old gets a real break spending $250 for a 9 year permit at a cost of $27.77 per year.
    So much for helping the seniors. When my current permit expires my life expectancy will be less than 5 years so no lifetime permit for me.

:( I'm willing to bet you got at least 20 more years sir!

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    The senior will pay 2.94 times as much per year as the 21 year old

JB55: you and I must be close in age , $125 FOR 5 YRS. is enough for me to spend at a time.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    What about providing proof every 5 years of up to date training. That's gonna cost and it would almost be the same as a renewal...
    I would have rathered them try to find a way to lower auto insurance since Louisiana has some of the highest insurance rates in the US.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What about providing proof every 5 years of up to date training. That's gonna cost and it would almost be the same as a renewal...
    I would have rathered them try to find a way to lower auto insurance since Louisiana has some of the highest insurance rates in the US.

A 21 year old buying a lifetime permit and paying for proof of training will still save $925 in an average lifetime.
    A 65 year old will lose $125 doing the same thing.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

Some flaws in your argument:

65 year old has a longer actuarial life expectancy than a 21 year old.

Most people getting lifetime permits will not be 21 years old. They will be somewhere between 21 and 99 years old. Sure the young guys get the best "deal."

The young guys' "deal" could be eliminated over the course of their lives through right to carry legislation or a future ban on concealed carry and repeal of the permits, etc. Nothing is a sure-bet. You have to discount the value of the future years of a lifetime permit for many variables such as the future cost of a similar permit, whether or not the person would want the permit in the future, whether or not the permit is valid in the future, costs to replace the permit when lost or worn out (will a plastic card survive 20, 30 years?), etc. And the 21 year old who dies at 22 pays $500 for 1 year.

But I do agree, the permit is too expensive, for seniors as well as everyone else.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Some flaws in your argument:

65 year old has a longer actuarial life expectancy than a 21 year old.

Most people getting lifetime permits will not be 21 years old. They will be somewhere between 21 and 99 years old. Sure the young guys get the best "deal."

The young guys' "deal" could be eliminated over the course of their lives through right to carry legislation or a future ban on concealed carry and repeal of the permits, etc. Nothing is a sure-bet. You have to discount the value of the future years of a lifetime permit for many variables such as the future cost of a similar permit, whether or not the person would want the permit in the future, whether or not the permit is valid in the future, costs to replace the permit when lost or worn out (will a plastic card survive 20, 30 years?), etc. And the 21 year old who dies at 22 pays $500 for 1 year.

But I do agree, the permit is too expensive, for seniors as well as everyone else.

Don't forget; each time these ding dongs in the Legislature get together they can add new layers of crap. Like more training! More this or that! At more costs, etc. Nothing in law is ever static!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    From the article:

" The lifetime permit would cost $500 and would require the permit holder to provide proof of renewed educational training every five years."

Gross.

Top Bottom