Vietnam trophy of war

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    So my dad and i made a trade a couple of weeks ago and one of the items I got from him was a Type 53 from Vietnam. He bought it from an estate sale from one of his friends that passed. I have been looking at it for the past couple of years and really admired it and thought that it deserved some special treatment. It's got some rust, some nicks, type 53 on the receiver with an izzy bolt. I have the certificate with it as well. I want to give it the respect that it deserves and frame it. I know it's not rare or special, but its a nice piece of history I want my boys to have one day. So, I need some opinions. Should I clean the rust and crap off of it thoroughly or just give it a good general cleaning? I don't want to strip the stock or anything like that. I would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

samb985

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Slidell
    I would give a good cleaning and leave it as is. The dings and rust on that weapon shows character. Unless there is severe rust and pitting. I would leave it as is.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    It's definitely a used rifle. I'll try and post some pics. The main rust is at the top of the magwell next to the stock. It looks like barnacles.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I vote knock the rust off and oil it well. While it is a piece of history, its also a servicable piece of history. It wont degrade the sentmental value but it will preserve it for generations to come. Rust is the devil and you may take it down one day to find that the rust has made it unsafe to shoot. I'd throw a spam can in the back of the closet for a rainy day. It would be a great way to remember my dad to one day take my grandkids to the range with dads old rifle.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    The curious thing about these Vietnam bring backs is the paperwork quite often more than doubles the value of the piece. Although there is an incremental increase for WW2 bring backs with paperwork, it's not nearly as significant as the 'Nam guns.

I picked up two pieces from the estate of a vet who brought them home and subsequently lost the paperwork. Instead of $500.00 for a Type 56 and $600.00 for a Type 54, the pair came home with me missing the $550 piece of paper at a price reflective of its loss...

Still, no import marks and no safety on the Tok tend to be pretty strong indicators of their origin.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've heard that the Vietnam bring back papers increased the value of bargain basement milsurps so much that now the papers are faked too. Rusty, blueing gone, bore shot out etc etc. Fake some bring back papers and presto it's valuable again. Anyone know if that rumor is true or not? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Dave

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    I've heard that the Vietnam bring back papers increased the value of bargain basement milsurps so much that now the papers are faked too. Rusty, blueing gone, bore shot out etc etc. Fake some bring back papers and presto it's valuable again. Anyone know if that rumor is true or not? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Dave

I've seen a few fake DD Form 603 papers, over the years as well as Fake Form 33 papers. They are pretty easy to spot. Most of the originals are carbons with original ink signatures and original inked rubber stamps from the processing office. The original paper on the Form 33 had high acid content and 70 years isn't kind to it, no matter how it's stored. The Form 603 (firearm), and 603-1 (non-firearm) are either light carbon copy weight paper or occasionally mimeograph paper. Without exception they will be impression printed ink forms or mimeographed forms (not laser or ink jet). The inserted text will be carbon paper copy with original ink signatures, original ink stamps -- although not all will have stamps and some may have typewriter ribbon ink.

Mimeograph original:

index.php

pierce36.jpg

Impression Ink original:

sksdocs.gif

Last edited:

Coolhand1856

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Missing paperwork

Trigger, I may have your missing paperwork. Do you know who you bought the guns from? My dad had these same guns and I have the paperwork but no guns.

The curious thing about these Vietnam bring backs is the paperwork quite often more than doubles the value of the piece. Although there is an incremental increase for WW2 bring backs with paperwork, it's not nearly as significant as the 'Nam guns.

I picked up two pieces from the estate of a vet who brought them home and subsequently lost the paperwork. Instead of $500.00 for a Type 56 and $600.00 for a Type 54, the pair came home with me missing the $550 piece of paper at a price reflective of its loss...

Still, no import marks and no safety on the Tok tend to be pretty strong indicators of their origin.

coastie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Many years ago, at a gunshow in Corpus Christi, a fellow had a Norwegian Krag and a Tokarev pistol in a cut down holster. I wanted the Krag and suggested he try about the show before coming back to my table. For 1970's I paid what he asked for.
    And inside the holster were these three papers.
    Struck gold and sold in the late 1990's via and internet listing for a tidy sum.
    27 years, did better than most stock investments.

Thom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    Baton rouge
    Theres a great wall st. Journal article from yearsback that compares gun investments vs stock investments. Great read if youcan find it.

Top Bottom