Public land for mid/long range shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Is there such thing within 50 miles of Lafayette where I might be able to set up some steel and safely (and legally) do some shooting from 200-800 yards? I've entertained the idea of buying some property, but right now I'm not sure how much longer I'll be living in Louisiana.

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    I know this an old thread but, I would also like to know the answer to this question.... With Sherburne being closed right now and the next closest range is 100+ miles...

Is there any location that would be safe and legal to drop by and shoot a few rounds??? Off a levee, cane field, or a river bank anywhere??

I absolutely do not want to be in violation of any laws.. I have checked out a few places on Google Earth that nobody is around for miles and very secluded... I'm just worried a Wildlife Agent or a State Trooper will show up and confiscate my rifle and put my in jail just because I don't know the laws regarding this....

It just seems being in a Louisiana there has to be a spot to do some shooting outdoors legally, besides a range.. Any suggestions on locations or laws regarding this?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    What has to be considered is that every square inch of private property in Louisiana is legally posted whether there are signs or fences or not. The public lands in Louisiana would include the Kisatchie National Forest and the La Wildlife managements areas.........and I would not set up for target shooting on any of that unless there was an established public range.......and none go to 800 yds that I know of. You just don't have much in the way of options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom