Battery Storage Ideas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What are you guys doing for "long term" battery storage? I've been rearranging some things lately and am revisiting my half ass battery storage. Currently I'm using some random tupperware pilfered from the kitchen, basically a couple of these:

eva5eze8.jpg

I have one full to the brim just like this that works fine, and this one is often scavenged for kids toys, etc. Point is as soon as you pull out a couple batteries the whole thing goes to crap and everything gets jumbled. I'd like a better option that can keep things organized but accessible.

Also curious if there's any benefit to storing open vs. airtight.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I like akro bins myself http://www.akro-mils.com/Products/Industrial/Standard-Storage-Bins/AkroBins.aspx you can get them in a lot of shapes and sizes. I have a couple small closets in my "man cave" one is set up with all my emergency supplies lights etc. I've also used these in my shed and gun safe makes everything neat and organized. I have two large boxes of each size one as overflow and the other is open in the bin loose once the second over flow box gets tapped just buy another brick and put it to the back keeps fresh batteries rotated. Works well for keeping them stocked up too.

At the very least I would get more containers and split your batteries up into sizes. Could even get a few smaller containers sorted out and then have a container that fits all of the smaller ones inside if that is what you were wanting. Then you would only have to find a container marked AA and pull just that one out etc.

A large enough fishing box might do the trick too just have to find one thick enough.

batterystorage.jpg

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Speedracer - here is an idea for your system. Gallon sized zip-lock bags. Put all of the batteries in bags and then back in your box. Also, I don't know much about the life expectancy of Alkaline batteries, but I know a selling point of lithium batteries is their ten year shelf life. If those are just sitting there in the box, do you rotate them out whenever they expire? (I don't use regular batteries often so I don't know much about how long they last.)

As for what I do...well, I keep 30 CR123 batteries for my flashlights in a drawer. We keep a bunch of AA, AAA, D, and C batteries in a cabinet designated almost exclusively for batteries. The AA's and the AAA's get used up pretty quickly by the family for XBox controllers and computer mice. They get rotated pretty often due to that.

Also, you asked about open vs airtight. Airtight would keep some of the humidity away from batteries which could help keep the ends from rusting, but I really wouldn't worry about that. If you can keep them from getting too hot though, that would be better. Batteries at high temperatures do not last as long as those kept at room temperature.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Growing up, ive always heard that its best to keep batteries in the refrigerator.
    I did a little research on that an hour or so ago and I remember learning about batteries in a few of my chemistry classes. I know hot (greater than 90 degrees) is bad for them. Refrigerating them will slow down how fast they lose their charge, but it is nominal (2ish% a year). I personally wouldn't waste refrigerator space for em, but if you have the space, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't freeze them though.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I tape two together at a time for my eotech. I have a few canteen pouches with batteries double taped and I twist to take them apart. The rest go in my kids toys before I can even ****ing store them long term. Have more children Curt. It will solve the long term solution.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I stock up of batteries every year when the tax free hurricane prep weekend comes around. All the batteries are pretty much all used up in a years time. After riding out numerous hurricanes in Baton Rouge, I found that D batteries are sold out immediately, but every store had AA and AAA batteries. So, all of my emergency lights now use those batteries. I keep one pack of D batteries on hand for my large LED lantern.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I buy lights that use the 18650 battery and buy lots of those.. They hold a charge for 7 months, ( longest I have let one sit) and the lights are cheap too..

Plus rechargeable

The wife's insulin pump uses AAA so we have a few of those around and thats about it..

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Growing up, ive always heard that its best to keep batteries in the refrigerator.

Ive done this for years...........
    Now does it work ? I don't know.......... doesn't seem to hurt...... but I NEVER forget where I put them !
    and it definitely keeps the kids away from them.......... LOL

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I get rechargeable NICad's {sp?} at Sam's in bulk packs. And charge them all up. i use them in everything so just have more on hand and the flash lights i have are Roybi that take rechargeable. Have wind up clocks and plenty gas on hand and a small gen set

Red Leader

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Hahnville, La
    However you store them if they can touch at the terminals put a piece of tape there. I have seen used ones catch fire that were thrown in a bucket for disposal.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I use the Sanyo Eneloop: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058N6JUE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I'll never buy another battery! These rechargeables are so good we bought 2 sets!

Good stuff. Most everything in my house now runs off of Eneloop AA batteries and a few AAA. Radioshack actually makes a decent rechargeable as well. I've even traded off most flashlights that run on CR123 and replaced them with models that use AA. I played with rechargeable CR123s but I couldn't find anything with decent quality so I gave up.

Top Bottom