BayouShooter Ad Available
Advanced Weapon Systems
Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: effective range of 223?

Gone hunting or fishing! Goatman's Avatar

effective range of 223?

Got a mini 14 and planning on some serious deer hunting this year. I just however don't know the effective take down range.

Does anyone here know?
    I gave up my fast cars for a 4x4, Fishing pole, Rifle, and a Freezer full of food..

Rabble Rabble
    Meh, I wouldnt take a shot over 150-200 with a 70gr Barnes TSX bullet.

Actually, I wouldnt take the mini14 at all.

If your goal is "serious deer hunting", skip the Mini 14 and the .223.
    "They're ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol." - General George Patton

All Items Posted For Sale Are From My Own Private, Personal Collection. Any Opinions Given Do Not Reflect The Official Policy Of Any Local, State Or Federal Agency.

Well most shots will be inside of 300 yards and I already have a mini 14 do I'm going to use it.
    I gave up my fast cars for a 4x4, Fishing pole, Rifle, and a Freezer full of food..

Marksman

Silver Member
    Head shots.

The Mini-14 will run out of effective accuracy long before .223 runs out of effective range.

Marksman

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
    Well most shots will be inside of 300 yards and I already have a mini 14 do I'm going to use it.
    go ahead and if you shoot pass 70 yrds and bring one down post pictures 223 is not a good deer round

Well crap

The Mini-14 will run out of effective accuracy long before .223 runs out of effective range.
    +1

go ahead and if you shoot pass 70 yrds and bring one down post pictures 223 is not a good deer round
    +2

Dave
    "All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others."
    Paraphrase from George Orwell Animal Farm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    Ash (Bruce Campbell) Army Of Darkness 1992

The Hitler of fun.

Marksman

Silver Member
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377740619.783466.jpg
    Got this one last year with my ar. Bout 50 yardsImageUploadedByTapatalk1377740742.688958.jpg
    Also got this one about 50 yards head shot.

Marksman

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stag0608 View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377740619.783466.jpg
    Got this one last year with my ar. Bout 50 yardsImageUploadedByTapatalk1377740742.688958.jpg
    Also got this one about 50 yards head shot.
    yep with an ar not mini 14 and under 70yrds

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeldave View Post
    lol you're so wrong it's just horrible.

Marksman

Silver Member
    Yep, defiantly more accurate than a mini.

Marksman

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNieman View Post
    lol you're so wrong it's just horrible.
    Really you made kills with a mini 14 pass 70 yrds would love to hear about it

Marksman
    If its the newer 580 series with a decent scope you should have no problem killing deer at 100 yards. Is the .223 and Mini 14 the best deer killer, probably not, but I've seen many post on Perfect Union of deer people layed down with the Mini 14.

I think he was referring specifically to the broader ".223 is not a good deer round" statement, which is not necessarily true.

Hell no, I have a poor opinion of the mini 14.

However, 223 is a fine choice for deer, opposed to your assertion.

What exactly is it that makes a good deer cartridge, in your eyes, that the 223 lacks? Because 223 is popular enough up in Missouri where I most commonly hunt. And the deer sure get a lot bigger up there than the bayou-bred rats-with-horns that roam these parts.

Marksman

Gold Member
    Well as all things I reckon what you see is what you believe and hunting in la from its swaps to its hills I all ways laugh when we take the rolling tape back to the shot from the the stand to where we find the deer or first blood 300yrds lolololo

Can someone translate Cletus to English for me?

Marksman

Premium Member
    you prob could take a deer at 400-500 yard but whether or not it will be an ethical kill is another story.
    Last edited by clem131; August 28th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.