info on alien gear ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    There are a few things that throw flags with me;

1) This is by far the biggest; they spend far more time talking about competitor products than their own

2) They refer to the shell as being 'plastic' and their competitors shells as being 'plastic' and they use 0.093 "plastic" whereas my Raven _KYDEX_ holster uses 0.080 which is WAY rigid. Makes me think they're using cheap brittle **** that is not good, or something.

3) Their claims about leather is largely fallacious.

4) I don't like how massively wide the leather backer is from the pics of people wearing it at 4o'clock, it spans a huge area and that just doesn't look easy to conceal well.

5) They also don't offer my preferred tuckable clip types.

6) They do not actually say /what/ the holster is /made/ from anywhere I could find on the site, other than generic descriptions like "leather" and "plastic" which can vary so wildly that they made as well have said "stuff and things"

Not to immediately count them out, but that's a lot of flags raised from reading the site.

Also, **** like this in the FAQ may have sounded cute to them but does not earn any points in my eyes:
    Q: Why are these so inexpensive?
    A: Our response is "Why is everyone else so expensive?"

And then stuff like this:
    Q: How do I wear my new Inside the Waistband Alien Gear Holster?
    A: Your new holster should be worn at about 4 o'clock inside the pants and with a belt. This is directly over the back pocket. It is the most comfortable and concealable position on the body. You can also move the holster about and adjust it to your own liking. You may want to wear it at 3 o'clock or 4:30.
    Makes me wonder how much experience they have wearing guns every day and what conditions.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I tend to stay away from Alien and Zombie crap! Its a marketing gimmick. Many are companies jumping on the last minute gun craze. They will be out of business soon.

On a side note*- When Hornady did it with ammo, I lost a little respect for the company. IMHO, firearms, ammo, and other related items should be for responsible and sensible gun owners. If they want to market to airsoft, then thats another story. I just don't see any excuse for Hornady to do it.

My advice is to either wait for some other poor sap to buy it and post a review or just go with a true and trusted brand. Bayou Shooter has a number of posts re recommended holsters.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've spent more on holsters that i ended up hating. The reviews on them online all seem rather positive. If you're in the market for a holster grab one and let us know?

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've spent more on holsters that i ended up hating. The reviews on them online all seem rather positive. If you're in the market for a holster grab one and let us know?

This ^^^

I'll probably buy one, three if I like it.

At $30, it's hard to find a reason not to try them out.

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    $37 with tax and shipping...just FYI.

I'll bite, and if it sucks, then we can test out their satisfaction guarantee while we are at it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's a cheap and easy to make holster. They took an established design and copied it. It appears of much lower quality than the comparable Comptac MTAC, and about on par with Crossbreed types. The leather looks way too wide, other than that they haven't really changed or improved the design.

That said, I'm sure it will work fine. It's hard to mess up that design. Personally I prefer to not let price influence my holster decisions (because a holster is pretty friggin' important), and prefer to give my money to the people that invented and continuously improve a design as opposed to those who copy it and stick a gimmick logo on it.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I had a crossbreed that I gave away and use one of two Foxx holsters daily. The crossbreed leather was thin. I prefer really thick leather, but even my thick-ass Foxx holsters are showing their age. I like the idea (stolen from mtac) of removable kydex, but unless they sell replacement backing leather, its kind of useless.

A heat gun always worked for tightening or loosening the fit of the kydex, so the screws are a novelty.

My issue with mtac is that they look a bit too narrow to be as comfy as my current setup, fatass that I am. I'd rather not toss a chunk of change on another holster I hate. Also who wants to change kydex rigs just to carry a different gun? I'd rather multiple holsters.

Am I wrong?

Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I might take one for the team and see what it's like . They have a 30 day money back guarantee so ill just be pissed over shipping .

thib2722

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    South Louisiana
    I own seven or eight of their various styles. The holsters really are well made and very much worth more than $30. They now offer four or five different style clips. I have tried them all and personally like the plastic D clips. These are the most comfortable for me and my leather car seats. The metal clips tend to scrape up my belt and seats. Their customer service is also great. They sent me the wrong color holster once by accident, and the girl on the phone had the right one made and Fed-Exed to me right away. She told me the keep the other one for my trouble.

I've bought many other holsters from other companies, including Cross Breed, and I like Alien Gear a lot. They remind me of Cross Breed except they are much cheaper and come much faster. I've had some for a few years now, and they have worn in nicely. I usually have to wear them a few days and play with the adjustments before I am completely happy, but adjusting cant, ride, and retain tension is easy. Just use the allen wrench and tinker with it until you are happy.

The plastic shells are kydex, and somewhat thicker than other brands. The leather is nice and thick. The large leather backer actually makes the holster easier to wear and easier to hide because it contours more evenly in your pants. You won't see barrels poking out and printing.

I'm a pretty picky guy, and I like their stuff a lot. I have not tried the new soft holster, though. All mine are the leather backed products. Everything comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can't lose, especially for $30.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I find that people who trash Alien Gear have never owned one. Usually.

I own one for a Glock 20. It is far better than Crossbreed. I ended up giving my Crossbreed away.

I also have an extra Kydex piece so I can covert it for another model Glock (19) and use the same leather.

Leather is high quality. The Kydex is much thicker than Crossbreed. I bought the leather loops for a few bucks and use them vice the metal clips.

Using "Alien" in the name is hype.. Yes. But the holster is high quality.

I doubt you will regret buying one.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    2) They refer to the shell as being 'plastic' and their competitors shells as being 'plastic' and they use 0.093 "plastic" whereas my Raven _KYDEX_ holster uses 0.080 which is WAY rigid. Makes me think they're using cheap brittle **** that is not good, or something.

They use Boltaron instead of Kydex. Some of the things they claim in their video is:
    "Boltaron... along with resistance to cracking in arctic cold and desert heat."

First off, cracking will occur where there are bends. Sharp bends will cause weak points. Everything has a breaking point and Boltaron will crack as easy as Kydex. They "mold" their Boltaron with extremely sharp bends, regardless of thickness, that is now a weak point. Second thing that annoys me, is that they show their competition as a Slide Holster and claim their holsters are better because they cover the entire gun. While a full cover holster IS better than a Slide Holster, they are twisting the image to make it appear that THEY have created a better holster. They also use too much material. All that extra material sticking out of each end will cause more stress on the sharp bends. They seem to be more worried about promoting their product with false information, than making a quality product.

They can say their holsters are stronger, because they use Boltaron, but they are only as strong as the are designed to be. Which, IMO, is horrible.

cloak-slide-owb.jpg

See how sharp the bends are, beneath the trigger guard? That's a weak point. It WILL break. That being said, Kydex holsters will break over time also, but most kydex holsters out there are eithers pressed or vacuformed, these two methods will not give you a sharp edge. They appear to be vacuforming their shells and then manually adding that crease.

And just to back up my point, you should never need to do this out of the box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UYKxwPw2uk

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I had to use the heat method on my Crossbreed "right out of the box." It would not hold my handgun securely. I emailed them and they advised I use a hairdryer and carefully heat the trigger guard portion and press on the Kydex in a couple of spots while soft. Their Kydex is very thin too, so it was easy to soften.

The sharp corners on the Alien Gear may be sharp, but they don't seem weak to me. I used a hammer on a shell I didn't use anymore (for a SA XD) and it would not break. I wailed away on it too. Yeah, these holsters are well built.

I watched the video and can see how someone may want to do a little extra to fine tune it. Heck, everyone seems to wany to personalize just about anything gun related.
    I'm wearing the holster right now... Laying on my couch watching bowl games. It's comfy. And I haven't modded mine. Been wearing it since early this morning.. And mine is holding a Glock 20 :)

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Just wondering if any BS members have tried alien gear holsters http://aliengearholsters.com/

I have a cross breed for my XDM, and an Alien gear for my Colt Defender. Both are pretty good, no real complaints. The screws on the belt clips of the alien gear come loose from time to time. I tighten them down and they're good to go for a while. I fined either one holds the weapon well, they are not uncomfortable for daily wear, (I carry one or the other every day all day) both have a life time warranty.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a cross breed for my XDM, and an Alien gear for my Colt Defender. Both are pretty good, no real complaints. The screws on the belt clips of the alien gear come loose from time to time. I tighten them down and they're good to go for a while. I fined either one holds the weapon well, they are not uncomfortable for daily wear, (I carry one or the other every day all day) both have a life time warranty.

if you had to use one or the other for both guns, which would you pick?

I'll shamelessly plug RM here. It's the best holster I've found to date, and I've tried everything in this thread. If you guys haven't tried him, I highly recommend you hit him up when/if you go shopping again.

Top Bottom