1000 yards in Louisiana. Looking to gauge interest in a new private range.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustinflint

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Everyone,

Sorry for the delay responding to this. As you can tell, I dont visit or post on this site often.

We hit a couple of snags around the beginning of the year. The first, and less important, is that there is a small right of way at about 850 meters that will not expire for another four years. Shouldn't be a huge deal to overcome if things eventually move forward but it is an issue.

The more important snag is that the landowner has run into some unexpected but serious health problems which has been a big time drag on this project. He is very reluctant to move forward with lots of construction until he gets better. I dont blame him; a range this big involves a LOT of time, money and work to safely get off the ground.

For now the range is just a high-power silhouette range until further notice. If things change I'll post here.

Dustin

Phatpad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Gramercy, LA
    I am a happy owner of new unfired 50BMG rifle with Mark 4 optic. Is this club/range in existence? If yes, are there any memberships available? Also would like to know if someone would be willing give me guidance on shooting the beast? Largest caliber I have shot is 3006. Thanks, Phatpad

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    My guidance would be to either sell it and buy a lesser caliber to learn on or leave it in the safe for a long long time and learn on a lesser caliber. Not what you want to hear but the truth. You will develop SEVERAL bad habits trying to learn on that platform.

If you really do learn to shoot and find this post 5 years from now you will look back, smile and realize I was right.

Might I suggest 6.5 Creedmoor (clear winner if you don't reload), 6.5x47L, 260 Remington, 6XC, 6mm Creedmoor, 6 Dasher or even a .223 or .223AI that has a proper chamber for 77gr or heavier bullets as a darn good place to start. Ditch any idea of a semiauto and build or buy a bolt action rifle.

Last edited:

Phatpad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Gramercy, LA
    Thanks for the feedback but I will not be selling this rifle. I do have experience with smaller calibers and shooting distances out to 300 yards. I know very well that shooting the 50BMG is a whole other thing and politely refused requests from friends to come to their property to fire the rifle. I would prefer to interact with experienced large caliber rifle shooters for guidance and support. I'm in no hurry here. Would be happy to leave my rifle in the safe and observe others shooting large caliber weapons before bringing my rifle to the range. I recognize I have a lot to learn before ever pulling the trigger on my 50BMG. Besides, it's too darn hot in August in LA.

Phatpad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Gramercy, LA
    Barney88PDC, I have experience with 5.56, 308, and 3006. My 50BMG is not a semi automatic rifle. Itis a single shot bolt action rifle (SM HS .50) with Mark 4 optic with mildot reticle. Sorry to referring to my earlier post but I was hoping the proposed club/range in the initial posts on this thread had come to fruition. And, if memberships were available. Thanks again for responding to my post.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    My guidance would be to either sell it and buy a lesser caliber to learn on or leave it in the safe for a long long time and learn on a lesser caliber. Not what you want to hear but the truth. You will develop SEVERAL bad habits trying to learn on that platform.

If you really do learn to shoot and find this post 5 years from now you will look back, smile and realize I was right.

Might I suggest 6.5 Creedmoor (clear winner if you don't reload), 6.5x47L, 260 Remington, 6XC, 6mm Creedmoor, 6 Dasher or even a .223 or .223AI that has a proper chamber for 77gr or heavier bullets as a darn good place to start. Ditch any idea of a semiauto and build or buy a bolt action rifle.
    Was able to shoot my BILs 6x47L yesterday. Talk about a fun gun to shoot. No recoil and a tack driver.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Have fun and I hope you find a place. Most ranges do not want anything bigger than a .30cal Mag shooting at their steel because it breaks targets and puts big holes in berms that have to get repaired.

I don't know why I even try anymore.

Phatpad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Gramercy, LA
    Thanks madppcs. It's going to be awhile before I'm ready to shoot the rifle. I appreciate the invitation. Do you have much experience shooting this large of a caliber? I have none to date but want to learn. Rifle is a SM HS 50bmg. Has never been fired and scope "supposedly" has been bore sighted. The rifle came to me from a long-term close friend and he is the person who either bore sighted it himself or had someone do it for him in Mississippi. BUT, I can't know for sure. Basically I have no idea where a round might go. I plan to have it bore sighted by a professional so I can be more comfortable it shoots close to a target so final zero process can be completed. Plus it's too darn hot right now. Thanks again.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Only experiences I have is with a Barrett M82A1. I have pics and a couple videos on my photobucket. Ill dig them up and post them. I thought seriously about getting a bolt action 50 cause they are a lot cheaper than semi autos. I figured it would be nice to have a tool in the shed for taking out light vehicles lol. My buddy that had the barret only shot the AP-I rounds. They were like 10$ per round. Very expensive to shoot, but also very effective. I had to buy a steel plate just for him to shoot. It is 1-1/2" thick lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom