How to spot a fraud

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Good info.

Well mostly. Requesting certifications is silly, since there are really none that mean anything.

And the cool instructors wear multicam, not digicam. Duh.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Aren't #4 & #5 contradictory?

Not necessarily. Some companies will only let you progress by taking THEIR classes, which is what #5 is about. Good companies just make sure you do have adequate experience and previous training to not be in over your head and push the safety envelope, regardless who your previous experience is with.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Good info.

Well mostly. Requesting certifications is silly, since there are really none that mean anything.

And the cool instructors wear multicam, not digicam. Duh.

So is it wrong to ask for a instructors DD-214?

I'm not being a smart A@@ but in light of a recent post that no one stood up to clear their name and then it vanished. I'm not sure I'm willing to put out any money for trainers without knowing a little about them.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

I'm not being a smart A@@ but in light of a recent post that no one stood up to clear their name and then it vanished. I'm not sure I'm willing to put out any money for trainers without knowing a little about them.

Why would anyone stand up to clear their name if their name hasn't been named?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

I honestly don't know what's considered acceptable in regards to asking for military documents, and I'm definitely not the right person to ask. I do know it's not a common request, and if you ask someone like Kyle Lamb for their documents you'll probably get punched in the face.

As to that thread, and it won't be discussed any more because it was dumb, no one cleared their name because no one was named even after direct request to do so. That's exactly why it was removed, it's vagueness caused confusion over what amounted to nothing but hot air.

The writing BP linked to, and I don't care who wrote it, is good general info, albeit mostly common sense (I would hope).

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I honestly don't know what's considered acceptable in regards to asking for military documents, and I'm definitely not the right person to ask. I do know it's not a common request, and if you ask someone like Kyle Lamb for their documents you'll probably get punched in the face.

As to that thread, and it won't be discussed any more because it was dumb, no one cleared their name because no one was named even after direct request to do so. That's exactly why it was removed, it's vagueness caused confusion over what amounted to nothing but hot air.

The writing BP linked to, and I don't care who wrote it, is good general info, albeit mostly common sense (I would hope).

You make K.L. sound like an ass that can't control himself!

I wouldn't know that no one was named because the thread was deleted and that in itself has got a lot of people questioning the instructors on BS. It could have been closed but now everyone that saw part of it has it on their mind and it has made sponsors look bad. I have got calls asking who got called out that caused the post to be pulled and all I can say is "I didn't see how it ended".

I don't care who wrote the Blog/whatever either.

I'm new to training and was looking for info on how not to get screwed and your response wasn't very helpful but I guess that's how it goes when you step on toes around here.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Instructors who are afraid to put their skills to the test in competition usually know what would happen if they did – an thus why they bash and avoid.

:chuckles:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Also, I slightly question point 3. Yes, I want someone who's training me to have lots of background, other training, specialties, experience, etc etc but lots of classes under someone's belt does not necessarily make them a good fighter nor a good teacher.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You make K.L. sound like an ass that can't control himself!

I wouldn't know that no one was named because the thread was deleted and that in itself has got a lot of people questioning the instructors on BS. It could have been closed but now everyone that saw part of it has it on their mind and it has made sponsors look bad. I have got calls asking who got called out that caused the post to be pulled and all I can say is "I didn't see how it ended".

I don't care who wrote the Blog/whatever either.

I'm new to training and was looking for info on how not to get screwed and your response wasn't very helpful but I guess that's how it goes when you step on toes around here.

Sorry you missed it. It was a pointless troll and obviously it worked.

It wasn't deleted, it has a happy new home in the mod forum. Any mod, including spanky, can still see it and break it down for you. But truly, you're wasting your time.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Sorry you missed it. It was a pointless troll and obviously it worked.

It wasn't deleted, it has a happy new home in the mod forum. Any mod, including spanky, can still see it and break it down for you. But truly, you're wasting your time.

It really doesn't matter. I was just looking for ideas on ways to pick trainers and not get screwed outta my money.

You know most people tell me they won't go to classes because their intimated. So you saying stuff like asking a question will probably get you punched in the face doesn't help get classes booked.

Thanks

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It really doesn't matter. I was just looking for ideas on ways to pick trainers and not get screwed outta my money.

You know most people tell me they won't go to classes because their intimated. So you saying stuff like asking a question will probably get you punched in the face doesn't help get classes booked.

Thanks

Isn't that what we're discussing?

Like I said, I don't know what's taboo or not as it relates to military documents, especially for special operations guys. I literally have no idea. I was merely pointing out that that area of the advice in the OP is not universal as I think some guys, such as Kyle Lamb, Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers, etc, have established themselves to the point that it would be insulting and a bad idea. Obviously they're (hopefully) not really gonna punch anyone in the face. But that's an example where a simple Google search would get the job done and should be the first step. If you can't find what you're looking for (such as in the case of Billie Bob Tactical as previously mentioned), then approaching them directly would be appropriate.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Isn't that what we're discussing?

Like I said, I don't know what's taboo or not as it relates to military documents, especially for special operations guys. I literally have no idea. I was merely pointing out that that area of the advice in the OP is not universal as I think some guys, such as Kyle Lamb, Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers, etc, have established themselves to the point that it would be insulting and a bad idea. Obviously they're (hopefully) not really gonna punch anyone in the face. But that's an example where a simple Google search would get the job done and should be the first step. If you can't find what you're looking for (such as in the case of Billie Bob Tactical as previously mentioned), then approaching them directly would be appropriate.

Come on man we know I was asking about local guys. I'm also open minded enough that I don't think the "other post" or that blog/write up was even talking about the well known trainers. I only asked you because you stated that it was silly to ask for them so I thought you had an idea on what was accepted. I know y'all mods keep y'all's guard up because a lot of people do stir the pot but I asked because I wanna learn to shoot better and wanna spend my time and money the best way I can.

CMorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    Here is my two cents, if you don't agree simply don't take my advice.

Very few veterans carry around a copy of thier DD214, if any of them actually do....well God help us. I have never seen someone with their i love me book on hand. If you are on thier training grounds already and taking a class it's too late to ask for credentials. Do all research prior to signing up for a class. There are alot of "tactical schools" out there and some are pretty damn good. I'm willing to bet that is someone produced a valid training certificate from someone other than the NRA 50% of people would not know if it was real or not. If they are a LLC or CORP or SCORP doesn't really matter, if they are legitimatly trying to teach and imparting knowledge on the end user then good on them.

If they shoot competition or not is irrelevant to. I'd love to do some 3 gun matches but I just don't have the time. Granted now if all this said instructor is doing is training people he/she would have some down time and have the ability to shoot competitions.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom