Hog hunting in Pearl River WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navysooner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Metairie
    Has anyone done any hog hunting in the pearl river wma? How plentiful might they be there? I want to hunt them on NAS but they stopped the humting on base.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Problem with hunting Pearl River WMA is all the novice hunters! I'v had some REALLY close calls! My advise is, if you have to hunt there, stay away from all the easy access locations.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I've been hunting hogs in the Pearl River WMA for about 15 years. Yes there are a lot of wild boars in the WMA. But, I agree with freedive10, you want to get deep in there, and try to avoid the masses.
    I'm not going to give up my locations, but with a good map and a little scouting, you can fill your freezer with the best pork in the world. IMO.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Some hints... Even early season, wear long sleeves and some kind of head/face cover. (Mosquitos get the size of hummingbirds in those swamps.) snake proof muck boots. (You'll have to do some hiking in snake infested swamp). Bring a GPS. (It's easy to get turned around when you get deep in there). And bring a short, light and handy weapon. (The swamps can be thick in places, no place for 10+lb rifles).

Final hint. Find the huge briar patches in the palmetto bottoms.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    How do you guys hunt there? Rifle days are just a few. Outside of that, it's bow or small game legal firearms (Rimfire, birdshot).

So do you guys hog hunt with rimfires?

I've tried that (.22mag), but we never got close enough. Might have been a good thing...

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    22 Mag to the ear hole or 1.5-2" above right between the eyes will drop them. Also you can use bows and crossbows and if so inclined up to a .36 cal muzzleloader. You can get 357 rifle power out of those with 128gr maxiballs and 50-60gr of powder.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Take a boat from Hwy 90 launches. They love to bed in the Roseau's by day, but move into the swamp/bottomland by night. Before Katrina, I scouted back there where the transition from Roseau canes meet the swamp/bottomland, and the hog traffic was sick. There are 3 different rivers to choose from 90.

If the search function works properly for you, there are a few threads in history here about hunting the Pearl. ;)

snappa001

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner
    I am also interested in learning to hog hunt in the PRMA.

I have a boat with a surface drive motor if anyone is interested in sharing their experiences.

How about forming a group to make some periodical hunts throughout the season?

Anyone?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am also interested in learning to hog hunt in the PRMA.

I have a boat with a surface drive motor if anyone is interested in sharing their experiences.

How about forming a group to make some periodical hunts throughout the season?

Anyone?

I would be shocked if no one takes you up on your offer. Do your homework on the regs in there! Wildlife and fisheries website is good start. There is some decent deer hunting too if you know where to go. Your hog scouting will lead you to them too! ;)

Learn the difference between a hog track and a deer track!

snappa001

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner
    Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Excellent advice Emperor. Of course it is! ;)

Here's the 2013-2014 hunting reg's for Louisiana WMA's for anyone who's interested:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/...014/2013-2014_hunting_regulations_low-res.pdf

I have some areas mapped out from other experienced PRMA hunters. Just a matter of time before I put them to use.

BTW, hog hunting has been open to tandem with ANY open hunting season on the WMA's.

Email me your map/game plan and I'll see if I can throw you a few more bones on it.

Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Was wondering how you guys get your hogs out the woods ? We killed 2 very large white hogs a few years back on three rivers wma and it was like dragging 3 bags of cement each . And hell that's when I was working for Kentwood spring water humping 250 5 gal. bottles a day a those 2 hogs almost killed us getting them out .

Wayne88

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm interested in a possible group. If there's anything I can do to help the group stand up, please let me know. Additionally, I'm fairly positive that I have some military friends who would be interested as well.

Top Bottom