"Casual" Carry in a Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I'm not talking about leaving the gun in the car when going off somewhere or for any other reason than just to have it readily at hand during the time when you are in the car and not at a school or other no-no like that. This person doesn't have a CCW license and this "casual" carry I refer to would be when driving to have the gun say on the passenger's seat. Wouldn't it need to be covered with something like a towel or paper or other? I thought I remember that being OK.

This is not for me but for a friend who doesn't have a permit (yet? I'm working on that...) and for times when she is driving around and can't conceal on her person for lack of permit. Could she just put the gun under a towel or something? I know it's not the greatest solution but could it be workable and still keep her out of trouble until my irresistible arguments to go get a permit overwhelm her and the towel will become unnecessary? Thanks for all info! I searched and unless "carry in car" or "carry in vehicle" aren't the right terms, I couldn't find anything to fit this question.:confused:

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    No idea on the towel thing, but she is completely legal to have a gun in her car at a school in LA. She just can't take it out of the car.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    She can keep a gun anywhere in her car. Legally, it does not have to be concealed in the car. Practically, leaving it out in the open is a bad idea. Keep it in the center console or the glovebox if it is in reach. The gun can be kept in the car on school property one pretty much everywhere except federal property. Does that answer your question?

Edit. Keeping it under a towel on the seat is a bad idea. Hit a bump and that gun will go flying. It should be stowed somewhere where it can't fly away easily. NRA has car holsters that clip under the steering wheel and other car holsters on their website. Many companies make them, but the ones on there are easy to find to get an idea of what I am talking bout.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The concealed law means concealed ones person, not new vehicle/home etc. a gun can be stowed anywhere inside of a vehicle, visible or not. A holster or trigger guard of some sort is recommended. There has been too many times I've seen that there has been a gun, while legal, is extremely unsafe just flopping around inside of a vehicle unsecured.

BR55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Wear it secured on your belt. If it's sitting on the seat and you get in a wreck it goes flying and you loose control of it. Or it slides across the seat out of reach when you most need it. Keep it holstered, on your belt until you get where you are going then take it off and safely lock it in the trunk or at least lock it in the glove compartment if no other option exists.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I kinda wanted to make sure that non-concealed carry in the car while traveling was more-or-less OK. I thought I remember there being something about the gun being out of sight and that's where the towel (or whatever came in...). I agree about it being secured in some way to prevent it going off the seat and to the floor. My thought was a Remora under the seatbelt (!!!) which would be not concealed and secured at the same time. It could also work under the towel. I should have mentioned a holster of some kind at first and not that a loaded gun would be laying out on the seat! :eek3: Thanks for the replies and tips!

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I haven't looked into it recently, but I believe you aren't allowed to carry concealed on your person (e.g. IWB) in your car without a CCL

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Texas requires a vol to have a handgun in a vehicle and the gun must be hidden from view, hence a towel or newspaper if it is left on the seat. As others have said, not a good idea and not a requirement in louisiana.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Like suggested above- Do your friend a favor and make sure they understand that the above mentioned rules apply to Louisiana.

Other states may (and most of the time, DO) vary. :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom