Thinking of checking out Sherburne

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,

Wondering if any of you have been to Sherburne Shooting Range. I just moved out the Lafayette, and other than Sherburne, my options are limited to one indoor range with only a 25 yard rifle range. I just got a new scope and a bipod for one of my rifles, and I just got a new 1911, so I wanted to go shoot them this week. I was wondering what I need to bring and if I can literally just show up and start shooting (which I don't believe is this case). I'm sure this has been talked about numerous times, but I can never figure out the search function on here. I remember reading that I needed a hunting license or something like that to go to Sherburne a while back, but I never went so I never really looked into it. I'm dying to shoot my 2 new toys, but I don't want to go out there until I know the rules and everything I need to bring.

For example, do I need to bring a standing target, or just a paper target to slap on to something? I tried looking on the Sherburne website, and it just told me what ranges they had and that they were open sunrise to sunset. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You need to have a hunting/fishing tag of some kind. A $5 annual 'wildlife stamp' (I think that's the price) suffices. I've not been checked for one in over five years, but that's the rules.

Then make sure you fill out and keep the self-clearing permit - there's a box at the boat ramp and at the rifle range. You'll know it when you see it - they're clearly labeled green metal boxes on plywood/wood framed stands.

Otherwise yes you just show up and shoot - just follow the rules of a hot/cold line, and don't point your gun at other people and you'll be ahead of some of the geniuses that go there.

Sherburne is both the best and worst resource for the average shooter. There are plywood target stands you can move to the 25, 50, or 100 yard concrete pads, and the berm is behind the 100 yard concrete. You can shoot anything on the rifle range, and pistol/rimfire on the pistol range.

Drop1

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    You can get by with a hook and line fishing license . It cost less than $3 I have seen people get tickets for not having a valid Louisiana Wildlife Licence of some sort, so don't risk it.
    A word of advice is to go as early as you can. Their are less people there the gentlemen are usually a bit older that time of the day and more responsible with their weapons.
    Just make sure to communicate clearly with the other people there and you shouldn't have any issues.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    What JNieman said pretty much cover's it and the Game Warden will stop by every so often.

I've never seen him check anyone....yet

The fine is 350.00 if you don't have the permit and some sort of wildlife stamp or hunting/fishing license.

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How do I go about getting the hook and line fishing license? I don't have class until noon on MWF, so getting out there early is actually preferable for me anyway. Is there a range officer that manages the cold/hot line, or is that something that is governed by communication between shooters?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    How do I go about getting the hook and line fishing license? I don't have class until noon on MWF, so getting out there early is actually preferable for me anyway. Is there a range officer that manages the cold/hot line, or is that something that is governed by communication between shooters?

There is no Range Officer for the entire range facility. The agents there just do the maintenance.

You can get the stamp/license anywhere you get a fishing/hunting license: wal-mart, sporting goods stores, some gas stations, etc. Wal Mart always does them in sporting goods if you don't already know a place.

Typical guidelines for calling hot/cold when I've been there is to look up/down the line to see if anyone else is waiting around and if a few people are, someone chimes up with a "Going cold?" question, and if everyone's good, give the "RANGE IS COLD" after everyone puts their guns down and leaves them be. Sometimes someone will holler up to let them finish their shot or two, and then you wait on them and then go cold.

"Real" range rules (I'm no vetted R.O., I'm going off what I've been instructed to do by other ROs) should be that all guns are laid down, pointed down range or on the rack, actions/bolts/cylinders open, unloaded, no magazine in if applicable, and no one touches any gun anywhere on the line until the line is called hot.

At Sherburne, people just lay their guns down in any condition and walk away to do whatever.

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just got my Hook and Line license. I wanted to go out there today, but I heard it gets crazy around this time especially on Friday. I'm going to go get my targets this weekend and then get at it early Monday morning. What kind of targets to you guys bring out there? This will be my first time shooting my AR with the new scope/bipod period and only my 2nd time shooting it at 100 yards. Last time was through iron sights my 4th or 5th time ever shooting it (or any AR for that matter), and needless to say, I missed the target as many times as I hit it. I've never tried those targets where it turns orange where you hit the target (see where you shoot targets or whatever they are called), but I figured those would be best for the 100 yard shooting (that way I can kind of see where I'm hitting through my scope). Also, any last bits of advice for me for my first trip out to Sherburne? I plan on using this resource quite a bit, and I don't want to do anything that may **** off some other regulars or something.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    If you don't have a spotting scope, or a high(er) powered scope, the shoot-n-c/dirtybird styel ones are very easy to spot hits. I make my own, but generally use about a 12" round or 11x17" ish size. Bring a staplegun or some pushpins for your targets and I'd bring some kind of a rear bag for your rifle. The benches are plain concrete, so you may want to bring a towel or something along those lines to put on top to keep from banging your gear up.
    I was there yesterday, its not too busy as of late due to ammo price and availability. While I was there, a guy came and shot a mag out of his AR, a couple guys came and took a few shots with a deer rifle, and one guy shot a box or so out of a .22. Don't worry about pissing anyone off, just be careful and very attentive of what others are doing! I usually try and get a bench at either extreme end, and be sure to pay attention to everyone when you go downrange to change out targets. Oh yeah, make sure you put your ear pro in/on ASAP as getting back to the bench, because the bubba who doesn't wear ear pro to shoot a ported .358 win mag doesn't care about your ears either!

ahamay79

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    New Roads
    I go almost every weekend and have only run in to a couple of newbies that didn't know the "Hot/Cold" terminology. One of the guys just started walking out to his target while the range was still hot. I cleared things up for them. :doh:

I've never seen it too busy. I went on a Thursday and had the entire range to myself, other than the maintenance guys.

Swampywood

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Krotz Springs, LA
    It's a great range..You can get any licenses at exxon station or at Kartchner's grocery(jalapeno and creamed cheese stuffed pork loin..woohoo) on the highway in Krotz Springs. Like they said..bring targets& stapler.. maybe some big paper or cardboard(boards are tore up bad sometimes).

johnjohn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    They just put in a new outhouse by the boat ramp. My wife didnt like to go because in the past all that was available was a porta-potty,before that,bushes.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    They just put in a new outhouse by the boat ramp. My wife didnt like to go because in the past all that was available was a porta-potty,before that,bushes.

I didn't look yesterday, but I've noticed the last couple times I went, they didn't have the porta-potty that's normally between the pistol and rifle ranges. Had to go have my son **** in the trees a couple times. Is the porta-potty back by the firing lines again?

Yesterday was a good day to go, too. Weather wasn't horrible, it wasn't crowded. Got there some time around 9am probably and left around 11am. My son and I had a good time, though he mostly played on the ipad after shooting the .22 a little.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Porta Can is always between the two ranges . I wonder why they moved it ? I NEVER leave the house without a roll of TP under the seat . ;)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I haven't seen the porta-cans the last couple times I've been. I did see the new outhouse last week when I was there. I went in it thinking there might be a sink to wash my hands, but it's basically a gigantic porta-can.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    click my sig ..some of those are at sherburne.

I've yet to run into an unfriendly shooter out there- although had one aim downrange while we were out replacing targets. Other than a big and loud lecture - it was pretty much a non-issue don't do it again thing.

One thing that does give me the redass - people swarm like vultures picking up my brass. I shoot hundreds of round sometimes - and like im gonna donate $100 worth of brass or whatever. At least ask ya know...and even then ..wait until im done shooting... and really ... id think the 5 gallon bucket full of spent brass would be a good indication that I'm not donating it to anyone.

Btw ..you can take the "scenic" route from I10 and basically follow the eastern levee of whiskey bay north (pretty long and bumpy drive - but good scenery) or you can go through towns that I don't recommend stopping in for long...cross a steep RR xing and youre there. Its probably faster going up through Opelousas - i prefer the I10 route.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom