AAR Phobos Solutions Intermediate Carbine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrisba

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    New Orleans Area
    This past Sunday, Oct. 6, I had the opportunity to attend Phobos Solutions Intermediate Carbine Course.

We began the day with a safety brief as all these classes should. We then progressed into the operation and function of the AR-15 platform followed by quickly confirming our zeros. This portion of the class took less then 45 minutes but is a necessary part of any class.

We then moved to the 7 where Jimmy put us through several common drills. The drills are as follows: Failure Drill, NSR Drill, Zipper Drill and the Box Drill. Jimmy went into great detail on how to properly execute the drills and the real world applications of these drills.

Jimmy then began instructing us on various movements during which we were expected to execute one of the previously mentioned drills. The movements were as follows: contact left right and rear. Once we were comfortable with the.movements and the various ways to execute them we began working in pairs to put the movements to real world use. Prior to this I have never fired a firearm in close proximity to others or had one fired near me. It was interesting to say the least. Due to the small class size I was comfortable with the safety of those firing near me and was not concerned about being injured or injuring another. Jimmy definetly stressed safety prior to this phase and I feel even if I had not known the other students I still would have been at ease.

Just prior to lunch we started working on transitions to secondary weapons and communicating to each other, loading, covering or gun up.

Lunch was typical with conversations ranging from baby strollers to football.

After lunch we had a few more drills involving transitions and communicating but we quickly moved on to moving while engaing targets. Both engaging while closing the distance to a target and moving adjacent to targets.

Up to this point we had only been shooting cardboard. We moved back to the 50 and begain shooting steel while learning various shooting positions. The VTAC wall was taken out and we put those various positions to use while utilizing cover. After the VTAC wall we had a friendly competition shooting steel from the 50 while using several different shooting positions.

We had a 1-5 drill in there somewhere and several other things I am sure I missed but the above is the gist of what was covered.

James Wine was the sole instructor of this class. Jimmy has an extensive background in the Military, Law Enforcement and most recent private military contracting. Jimmy has an astounding ability to get information across to a student clearly and consice without the arrogance or pompousness that I usually experience with this type of instruction. It does not seem to make a difference if Jimmy is talking to a child or an experienced operator, he is always able to humble himself to the level needed.

I will be patiently awaiting the the next class announcement. Especially since my wife has promised to pay for the next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

15Tango

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good AAR. I have never heard of Phobos but when I checked out their website I see Nick, Lewis, and James as contacts. Do you know if they are affiliated with VATA at all? I took a pistol course with VATA last month and both instructors were Nick and Lewis from the New Orleans area. What range did ya'll use?

chrisba

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    New Orleans Area
    Yes, I know Nick and Lewis also teach for VATA. Not sure about Jimmy. The class was at the Pit which is Covingron I think. It is at the end of Lee Rd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom