New Range in the LaRose-Cutoff area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Is there a range being built on hwy 3235 in or near Cutoff? I was driving to Port Fourchon last night and glimpsed a sign "Pistol and Rifle". That's all I could read as I was passing. There was also a new cement slab and what looked like shooting stalls. I go down there at least 3 times a week so I know it's a new sign. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? I'll probably drive over tomorrow or Sunday and check it out.

swampjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    From what i'm hearing the guy who owns Eymard Guns in Galliano is going to open a range. Unfortunately that's all I know so far . The number to Eymard Guns is nine eight five six three two four zero zero two.

swampjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    The New range in Cut Off is now officially open according to our local newspaper. It's called Eymard's Shooting Academy open Tue.-Sat. 10AM - 6AM Sunday 1PM - 6PM 8 shooting lanes ranging from 25 yds. to 800 yds. 14968 Hwy. 3235 Cut Off, LA (985) 632-4002

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    Shot at Eymards on Sunday. Friendly; easy; steel gongs at long range or targets placed for you (no walking). For the long gunner….I think it is the best deal in SE Louisiana.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    800 yards? That 200 better than Palo Alto. Anyone shoot there and have a chance to verify distance? (preferably with a LRF)

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    800 yards? That 200 better than Palo Alto. Anyone shoot there and have a chance to verify distance? (preferably with a LRF)

I shot there several weeks ago, It’s a well managed range. As far as verification, I didn’t pace off the 800 yards, but it looked good to me.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Levee district sues gun range

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20140506/ARTICLES/140509696/1320?p=all&tc=pgall

Levee district sues gun range

The South Lafourche Levee District has asked a judge to halt the operation of a Galliano gun range out of fear for those working on nearby levees.

Eymard’s Shooting Academy just off La. 3235 has been described as a godsend for shooting enthusiasts down the bayou, but what’s behind the range targets is the subject of the lawsuit filed last month.

Peeking over the berm that sits behind Eymard’s targets is the south Lafourche levee system, the crown of which is regularly traversed by levee district employees and contractors.

The lawsuit claims these workers are endangered by regular shooting from the range.

Attorneys for the shooting range assert an injunction stopping the facility’s operation would violate the constitutional rights of the range’s owner, Galliano resident Hugh Eymard.

Windell Curole, South Lafourche Levee District general manager, said the lawsuit followed discussions with Eymard toward a solution.

“Our job and our concern is to be able to maintain the levee, and anything that stops us and slows us down, we try to deal with,” Curole said. “At this point, we figure a judge would be best.”

Eymard couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.

Curole said his employees continue to express concern traveling down range from the shooters. He emphasized he isn’t against shooting ranges, but wants to avoid putting his workers in the line of fire.

The range opened in October and is the only one in the state that can boast targets 800 yards down range.

Behind that sits the range’s protection berm, about 825 yards from the eight concrete shooting stands. Another 400 yards behind that sits the levee, which is a few feet higher than the berm.

Stanley Lee, vice president for construction for Terra Logistics, a levee district contractor, expressed his fears in writing late last year.

“We have great concerns for the safety of our employees not knowing the type of firearms and calibers being used at the range. I have looked at the range from the levee side and noticed that you do not have side berms. A projectile could easily be shot off line or wind could move the projectile off line of inexperienced shooters which could in turn hit one of our employees, pieces of equipment or fuel tanks,” he wrote.

Eymard, who also owns the Galliano gunshop Eymard Guns, argued at a December levee meeting that district employees are too far away to be legitimately threatened.

The gun range manager, Monte Arabie of Galliano, said he inspects the range’s protective berm and it shows no evidence of being hit higher than 18 inches from the ground.

Arabie and Eymard argue most shooters are using standard rifles with bullets that will drop to the ground before making it to the berm.

But not all guns are made the same, the district has argued. The range also has a .50 caliber rifle enthusiasts can try out for a fee. It’s a similar make to a rifle that killed a Taliban combatant from some 2,700 yards in 2002.

The gun range has argued the shooter would have to arch the shot “ridiculously” to overshoot the protective berm and reach the levee.

No court date for the challenge has been set.

Honestly, Arabie and Eymard's arguments are kind of weak. Why wouldn't they have built the berm higher? I've never been there, can anyone who has say whether it seems like it poses a safety risk?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20140506/ARTICLES/140509696/1320?p=all&tc=pgall

Honestly, Arabie and Eymard's arguments are kind of weak. Why wouldn't they have built the berm higher? I've never been there, can anyone who has say whether it seems like it poses a safety risk?

I can! You're assumption is correct! The biggest berm on firing line IS the levee! :mamoru:

If it is such a godsend to bayou gun enthusiasts, everyone chip in and put some more dirt on the back stop berms.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    There was a story on the 10pm news about this. The range will be closed for a couple of weeks while they build up the berm. I hope this takes care of the problem but I have a feeling that it doesn't matter how high they make the berm the jerks at the South Lafourche Levee District aren't going to be happy until the range is closed permanently. Hope I'm wrong.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Seems simple enough, the owner has the range shut down for a few weeks to raise the berm. Raise the levee thru that section while the range is closed!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Here's the story from WWL TV. It's a one sided story because Eymard's attorney advised him not to comment. I'd like to hear their side.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Levee-district-sues-gun-range--258223411.html
    I saw the news story it was advertises plenty that it would be on at 10. They kept saying at ten, at ten
    Glad to see they are simply going to make it higher and hope that it will be considered safe, so things can progress.
    It was 100% one sided story, but as stated the range did not want to comment

fishunter

fishunter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Central, LA
    Glad I looked here. Going down to our camp in Galliano Thursday, was planning on bringing my AR and M1 Garand and doing a little long distance shooting. Please keep us updated on the developments down there. I live in BR and don't get the news down in that area of the state.

Cheytac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    Covington, LA
    The range is still open, closed for September, back open October.

Still not a safe range for the neighbors and the levee district. Shoot at your own risk as the range has no side berms and the backstop is lower than the levee where people work.

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    Went Saturday. Had a great time. Had never shot past 300 until then. I didn't range it but the ballistics app on my phone gave me my holdover and I hit the 24" plate at 800 on the first shot, never missed it after that. Very nice people also.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom