Transitioning from strong hand to weak hand???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    My fellow USPSA shooters, I wanted to know if their are any drills or techniques regarding transitioning to one's weak hand, especially after you draw the gun? Though weak hand shooting is a small percentage of shots in matches I know that mine could be faster and especially eats up precious time on classifiers. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gump:draw:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you have the pistol in a two hand grip roll your dominant hand thumb away and place your non dominant thumb around the grip and shoot.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Don't try to speed the transition too much. Concentrate on getting the grip you want/need. More time will be lost trying to shoot with a bad grip than getting a good one.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    If you need to go straight from draw to weak hand, don't get a full high grip with your strong hand. Draw with your hand far enough down the grip that you can get your weak hand thumb webbing right into place.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If you need to go straight from draw to weak hand, don't get a full high grip with your strong hand. Draw with your hand far enough down the grip that you can get your weak hand thumb webbing right into place.
    While this works for some, I rather keep the draw the same. There's already enough to think about without concentrating on changing your index on the gun. Rember, if you miss the grab and drop it, it's a free trip to Dairy Queen!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Drawing a pistol from the holster without a proper grip is not a good idea.

81HarleyRydr

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Drawing a pistol from the holster without a proper grip is not a good idea.

exactly, remember its all about muscle memory and most importantly gun control, learning to do this on the range in competition is one thing bt if the need would arise in a sd situation, you could end up with a very bad day

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I'm pretty sure gump is concerned with competition situations. But you are correct about the muscle memory. Whether competition or real world, one will perform as he practices.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    While this works for some, I rather keep the draw the same. There's already enough to think about without concentrating on changing your index on the gun. Rember, if you miss the grab and drop it, it's a free trip to Dairy Queen!

It definitely works for me. It's more secure during the transition, in my hands, which is where you have the least control if you have to break your strong hand thumb to get it out of the way.

Last edited:

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    exactly, remember its all about muscle memory and most importantly gun control, learning to do this on the range in competition is one thing bt if the need would arise in a sd situation, you could end up with a very bad day

This is for competition. In what "real life" situation would you want to transition from a working strong hand to weak hand, straight from holster, anyway?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is for competition. In what "real life" situation would you want to transition from a working strong hand to weak hand, straight from holster, anyway?

So in order to practice transitioning to weak hand, you should deliberately injure your strong hand first?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I don't know if I'm out of line by saying this in this topic or not, but in regards to non gun golf situations you should be able to draw your handgun from it's holster with your weak hand. I can get mine out of my duty rig with my weak hand and trust me, I'm by no stretch of the imagination "thin".

As far as transitioning from on hand to another, it's as simple as changing hands. I really cannot think of any simpler way to break this down. Try it.

JR1572

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The draw is separate from the transition.

You don't transition differently simply because you just drew the gun a second ago. Unless you're scooterj at a match, I guess.
    You must have misunderstood what I wrote. I don't transition differently. Mahamoti does use a different draw when transitioning to weak hand. I'm a proponent of keeping things the same.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You must have misunderstood what I wrote. I don't transition differently. Mahamoti does use a different draw when transitioning to weak hand. I'm a proponent of keeping things the same.

I did, I was reading a conversation in the quotes and mixed up names in my memory. My mistake.

I do agree with JR1572, though, but I believe the rule about off-hand drawing is in regards to the danger of breaking the 180 while doing it which is intolerable. That's my guess as to 'why' - but it would be good practice for offhand drawing. Oh well.

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCIKHOcGLPo

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I did, I was reading a conversation in the quotes and mixed up names in my memory. My mistake.

I do agree with JR1572, though, but I believe the rule about off-hand drawing is in regards to the danger of breaking the 180 while doing it which is intolerable. That's my guess as to 'why' - but it would be good practice for offhand drawing. Oh well.

Oh goodness. If I get injured and my right arm is rendered useless, and I need to deploy a handgun, at that point in not really worrying about the 180...

JR1572

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Oh goodness. If I get injured and my right arm is rendered useless, and I need to deploy a handgun, at that point in not really worrying about the 180...

JR1572

No disagreement here. There is no 180 off the range. But there's not exactly any sort of entrance exam for most any local club running a USPSA/IDPA/IPSC match that I'd heard of. So when you have any random gun owner jack coming up - sees someone else doing something and looking fast and cool, if he goes to try it... I'm just pulling that situation out of my ass, tbh, however it is a large organization who probably has their own level of liability to concern themselves with. Besides, it's just gun golf. It shouldn't be mixed up with real-world strategies 100%, and I don't think anyone that takes gun golf seriously as a sport has a problem with that. (hopefully)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom