Opinions on light/laser

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Problem : My fiance is too scared to shoot or practice with any of our 9mm handguns, she shot it one time (one shot, I don't know what it was that scared her, I do have ear muffs, she just too scared)I did borrow my FIL's .22 and she did shoot that, on target every time. She really wants to shoot it (have a full size m&p9 for her at home), just can 't. It is what it is, I just want to make the best of the situation at hand. She doesn't carry or anything, just for at home with the kids.

I'd like to give her as much of an advantage as possible, would anyone have any arguments against a laser? Something easier for "point and shoot"? Maybe a light with a small beam so she could see and know the area of where she is aiming? I have zero experience with either, also, the simpler the better. Thanks guys, Neil

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't think a laser is a very good idea. Finding the dot, especially if your eyes are adjusting from a change in light and you're under a lot of stress, seems like it could be a difficult thing to do. Also, I'm not a fan of relying on battery powered electronics without a plan B. I'm not a laser expert by any means, but it seems like forsaking sights is a bad idea. I know you've probably read this hundreds of times, but it can't be said enough. Take her to a GOOD instructor. I don't mean one of the CC teaching yahoos, I mean a legitimate firearms instructor. I get that she is scared, but I think a lot of that can be helped with confidence and good instruction.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    And a light? Something that doesn 't cover a large area? SOMETHING to help. I'll keep trying to get her to overcome it, but trying to make the situation somewhat better.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    Just read a column by Dick Metcalf in the October 'Guns and Ammo.' He recommends a laser for teaching women to shoot. And that husbands should never attempt to teach their wives... :)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Just read a column by Dick Metcalf in the October 'Guns and Ammo.' He recommends a laser for teaching women to shoot. And that husbands should never attempt to teach their wives... :)

This is truth. Women don't listen to their boyfriend/fiance/husbands.

And a light? Something that doesn 't cover a large area? SOMETHING to help. I'll keep trying to get her to overcome it, but trying to make the situation somewhat better.

Think she would be less worried about shooting a rifle?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^^+1!

Get with one of the instructors onboard and do an hour of one on one instruction.

If she's comfortable with a .22 pistol, move up to a .22 rifle. Then maybe .223? and work up gradually. Make it fun. Reactive targets go a long way (a tin can even). 12ga and a skeet thrower (dove loads, not slugs!!!).

You need to figure out if its the muzzle blast she doesn't like or the recoil. Women don't typically have the arm strength that guys do. Recoil is harder to manage also.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    There's no substitute for proper instruction,
    You stated several 9mm and a .22, were the 9s full size, did she have a proper grip, able to get her pinky on the grip comfortably?
    And ask point blank what bothered here more the noise, recoil, or her a anticipation.

I've seen my wife, aunt and cousin over come issues with .22 training pistols and Full size 9mm pistols.

S&W M&P 9 - M&P .22 (much better choice IMO)
    Or
    Ruger SR9 - SR.22 although the saftey on the 22 is backwards.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    She is scared of the recoil, she said "it kicks". I just consolidated all of my firearms to more need vs want, but now it seems I will need to pick up another 9mm carbine eventually

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had a marlin camp carbine. I found the felt recoil to be more than my AR in .223. The bolt slamming back resulted in more felt recoil.... a heavier recoil spring would have helped but I never got around to playing with it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So you think spotting a laser would be more difficult than her lining up sights ? 98% sure she 'll just point and shoot ,

Yes, the sights are always in the same place. On top of the gun.

Let 's forget about her. Do most WMLs have a broad range, or do some have a smaller focus area?

In my limited experience, TLR-1s and x300s aren't focused enough to be used in any kind of aiming. I'd also seriously doubt the "center" of that light output, is lined up well enough to make it an accurate tool. She needs to get some time behind the gun. That is the solution. Would you buy an infant a wheelchair if you see them fall over while trying to walk?

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    There is a difference between locating the sights on top of the gun, and lining them up. I guess the question should have been, "can anyone recommend a decent laser/light combo to try until purchasing another firearm, or until it's possible to get her time behind the gun?"

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Then I won't be able to help you much. I get what you are looking for, but I don't think that it really exists. There just isn't a substitute to knowing what you are doing.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Lasers are an aiming aid, not replacement. They still require practice to use effectively. To be honest you'd probably be doing more harm than good IMO. Not only will she not have any fundamental practice, but now you're introducing the additional stress of fumbling with a tiny switch on a laser/light.

But since you seem insistent, the Streamlight TLR-2 or Surefire X400 are the only laser/light combos I'd recommend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom