Sad Reminder on Gun Safety

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    A read for EVERYONE! Youtube can bring out the "THAT GUY" in all of us! Please don't be "THAT GUY"!

"THE BANG SWITCH"

We have all seen those YouTube videos where some poor, unprepared, inexperienced shooter is handed a firearm they are not prepared for, and the jackass with the camera catches the ensuing “hilarity”on video. While I will admit, I have found a few of those clips entertaining on occasion, that is the rare occasion. I usually find them frustrating to say the least. Not only is doing something like that very unsafe, both for the shooter and for those around them, but it also is likely to traumatize the victim of the joke. Stunts like that, at the minimum will leave a “training scar” in the way of a huge anticipation/flinching problem, and at the worst, will scare the new shooter away from guns for life.

Even worse than any fear of guns, is the very real possibility of serious injury or death. As every gun owner with a speck of common sense knows, guns can be dangerous, which is why we treat them with a healthy amount of respect. I absolutely love shooting, but always present in my mind is the very real possibility that complacency when shooting can get someone injured. Handing an unprepared shooter a gun far too powerful for them goes way beyond complacency, it is reckless.

Sadly, on Sunday November 3rd, a perfect example of that reckless behavior occurred. At a range in New London, Missouri, a South American woman was handed a S&W 500 pistol to shoot. I have no idea what her firearms experience was, but based on the results, she was far under-prepared for the power of that handgun. She fired the gun and the resulting recoil caused the gun to flip in her hands, ending with the barrel pointing back at her, and then, likely while trying to maintain control of the gun, the trigger was pulled a second time, and she shot herself in the head killing her, hopefully instantly.

The resulting scene was likely a traumatic one for everyone at that range. Having seen firsthand on many occasions, the absolute mess created by a close range head shot from a powerful firearm, the devastation is catastrophic. Fortunately for most of the people there, they will live to see another day, but unfortunately the female shooter paid for someone’s huge lapse in good judgment with her life.

This is another situation where we (gun owners) become our own worst enemy. Situations like this only serve to fuel the fire of the gun grabbers. The actions of one or two irresponsible gun owners give them valid ammunition to use against us, because the non-gun owning people out there view the gun owners as a group, not as individuals.

It should never ever take an incident like this to remind us that guns can be dangerous, and that safety is paramount when operating them, but apparently it does. Please, please do not do stupid stuff like this with your friends. If you see some yokel at the range doing something like this, either bring it to their attention or the attention of the rangemaster. We need to police ourselves, otherwise the gun grabbing politicians are going to be successful in doing that for us.

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    First time I shot a 500 I only put 1 round in cylinder until I saw how I handled it. Anytime I have inexperienced shooters with me I just load 1 at first until they see how they handle it.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    There are quite a few youtube videos of people putting holes in the roof of ranges from accidentally bump-firing S&W 500s. Scary to say the least.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Giving a new shooter a high recoil gun bothers the crap out of me, even with one round loaded for safety reasons. There are a few vids on youtube of <10 y/o's firing full auto mac 10's. They have stocks and foregrips, but still... makes me queasy

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There are quite a few youtube videos of people putting holes in the roof of ranges from accidentally bump-firing S&W 500s. Scary to say the least.

I have no idea what calibre, but there's a pretty decent hole of the roof of the Palo Alto pistol range. Somebody was playing around I guess.

rtr_rtr's post reminds me of the Christopher Bizilj story, I watched that whole court case.
    Little 8 year old at a full auto shoot fired an Uzi, the recoil overcame him. :(

Top Bottom