Copy of e-mail re. Honey Island

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    If this is improper, please pardon me, send a pm.

The Honey Island Shooting Range is located on the extreme northern end of the
    Pearl River Wildlife Manage Area in St. Tammany Parish. The range is operated
    by the tax-exempt, non-profit Southeast Louisiana Firearms Safety, Inc. (SELFS,
    Inc.). SELFS, Inc. is a Life Member of the LSA, under our Business and Clubs
    Affiliated Membership Program. The range is the only public shooting range in
    Southeast Louisiana, and as such, has about 20,000 men, women, and children use
    the range each year. During the Fall and Winter, the range is open to the
    public on Fridays from 11:00 to 4:00, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 to
    4:00 (21 hours per week).

The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission has recently asked SELFS, Inc.
    to reduce the hours of operation during hunting season to Fridays from 11:00 to
    3:00, and Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 to 3:00 (14 hours per week).
    The
    volunteer range officers and Board of Directors of SELFS, Inc. has asked that
    the members of the LSA help them out by sending POLITE requests to the seven
    Commissioners on the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission asking them to
    reconsider their request to SELFS, Inc. to limit the hours of operation of the
    range.

FACTS:
    1. The Honey Island Shooting Range is the ONLY public-use shooting range in
    Southeast Louisiana.
    2. The Honey Island Shooting Range is affordable, only charging a shooter $6.00
    to use the range for an entire day. This puts the use of the range within the
    grasp of any person, regardless of one’s income, and does not require one to
    join an expensive private shooting range.
    3. The use of the Honey Island Shooting Range soars during the hunting season,
    as many hunters use the range to sight in their rifles and to practice prior to
    their hunting session.
    2012 Range Use Figures:
    Q1 – 4,563
    Q2 – 4,125
    Q3 – 3,993
    Q4 – 7,039
    Year Total: 19,720
    4. This fourth quarter jump in use of the range is documented back to 1993, when
    SELFS, Inc. assumed operation of the range.
    5. A 33% reduction in the operating hours (from 21 hours per week to 14 hours
    per week) during the peak use by hunters negatively impacts hunters, which is in
    direct conflict with the goals of the LWFC.

Please contact the commissioners and tell them how important the Honey Island
    Shooting Range is to the hunters and shooters of Southeast Louisiana. Tell them
    that a reduction of hours by 33% will adversely impact the ability of hunters to
    sight in their rifles, for men and women to practice for their self defense, and
    for families to enjoy a safe environment to exercise their Second Amendment
    Rights.

Mr. Ronald "Ronny" Graham, Chairman
    Phone: 318-232-7021
    FAX: 318-232-7051
    E-mail: ronnygraham@lincolnbuilders.com

Mr. Billy Broussard, Vice-Chairman
    Phone: 337-652-4191
    FAX: 337-737-2395
    E-mail: bbillypb@kaplantel.net

Mrs. Ann L. Taylor
    Phone: 985-758-2795
    E-mail: annt@heraldguide.com

Mr. Stephen Sagrera
    Phone: 337-893-7709
    FAX: 337-893-7703
    E-mail: swsagrera@hotmail.com

Mr. Edwin "Pat" Manuel
    Phone: 337-457-0101
    FAX: 337-457-7401
    E-mail: patmanuel.wlf@gmail.com

Mr. Will Drost
    Phone: 337-480-3799
    E-mail: will@towerlandllc.com

Mr. Dan Davis
    Phone: 985-637-5127
    E-mail: ddavis@marlin-services.net

Last edited by a moderator:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    What's the motivation for the change? Is there concerns that the noise is a hindrance to the game hunting in the area? It looks like their hours are purposely timed to keep the peace during the morning and evening deer-movement times.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    What's the motivation for the change? Is there concerns that the noise is a hindrance to the game hunting in the area? It looks like their hours are purposely timed to keep the peace during the morning and evening deer-movement times.

That's exactly what they are doing this for. The deer and squirrel hunters up there (there are a bunch because it's accessible by car), don't want to hear anything but shots fired at animals while they are in there.

This is a classic dual use squabble between people that should settle these things outside of the authorities (LWFC).

Personally, I think the hunting season adjustment period is fair; but definitely understand both sides of the issue.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, I side with the hunters. If there's a concern over loss of revenue, up the fee to $7 and it's still cheap as hell, and would more than cover the losses, I expect. Change sucks, but oh well.

If there is a legitimate claim to the noise of the range affecting hunting, then I'm with the hunters. There are over 300 (unless rifle season on deer is longer than I realize) days when the range runs unabated. I think a small sacrifice of time in the interest of the deer hunters is not a small request.

The property is for everyone to use and you gotta be fair.

This is a classic dual use squabble between people that should settle these things outside of the authorities (LWFC).
    Like how?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yea, I side with the hunters. If there's a concern over loss of revenue, up the fee to $7 and it's still cheap as hell, and would more than cover the losses, I expect. Change sucks, but oh well.

If there is a legitimate claim to the noise of the range affecting hunting, then I'm with the hunters. There are over 300 (unless rifle season on deer is longer than I realize) days when the range runs unabated. I think a small sacrifice of time in the interest of the deer hunters is not a small request.

Agree 100%. We're lucky to have a decent, cheap range available at all. I've also noticed it's less crowded during hunting season, so it's a fair trade. I'd rather them close an hour early and not wait in line an hour anyway.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Like how?

Let SELFS do it. Why get The Commission involved? They operate it, they must understand the issue!?! If not, okay; different story. But I would be shocked if they didn't know the issue was at hand.

I can't imagine the revenues from the range trump the revenues from hunting, so if I were the recreational shooters Poobah, I would have tampered that bitching down. And I certainly would not bring it to the Commission. The OP is stirring a pot of **** that probably doesn't need to be stirred.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville

I can see your point but I throw this out there....... Being a hunter for many years, I have on many occasions shot a game animal and had another one pop out a few min after the shot. I have hunted in private locations with ranges on the camp and taken game with people shooting close by. My camp in next to a military reserve location and just yesterday they were training with full auto fire. A number of deer and hogs were taken that same time. And my most evident example is the deer that came out on the range in Honey Island a few years ago while the line was hot. The range master had to call a cease fire and chase the deer off b/ it would not move off on its own. I guess it really enjoyed the lead based grass. LOL!

If spooking game is the excuse, I call B.S.! If it’s just the enjoyment of a quiet hunt in nature, then I can understand.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I can see your point but I throw this out there....... Being a hunter for many years, I have on many occasions shot a game animal and had another one pop out a few min after the shot. I have hunted in private locations with ranges on the camp and taken game with people shooting close by. My camp in next to a military reserve location and just yesterday they were training with full auto fire. A number of deer and hogs were taken that same time. And my most evident example is the deer that came out on the range in Honey Island a few years ago while the line was hot. The range master had to call a cease fire and chase the deer off b/ it would not move off on its own. I guess it really enjoyed the lead based grass. LOL!

If spooking game is the excuse, I call B.S.! If it’s just the enjoyment of a quiet hunt in nature, then I can understand.

I concur with your assessment!

I will tell you this as a FYI side story however, when we would squirrel hunt the middle areas coming up from Hwy 90 by boat, and on the days that we stayed later to hunt deer; I'll be damned if those deer didn't know by the sound of those boats leaving when to start moving again. It was uncanny!

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Having dealt with deer hunters and a similar issue on private land I believe deer hunter go just as crazy as bucks do during rut only they do it when the season opens and don't regain sanity until it closes.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't understand why there is an issue here. If you wait until the last minute to sight in your rifle, who's fault is that?

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I don't understand why there is an issue here. If you wait until the last minute to sight in your rifle, who's fault is that?

You could show deer hunters a video of a heard of deer grazing in the middle of a firefight and they would say gunshots scare them off. If cars whizzing by them while grazing along the side of the interstate doesn't scare them because they get used to it then they will also get used to gunshots. I have a private range and have deer walk by while we are shooting but the hunters who hunt the land surrounding mine are always complaining we are scaring the deer away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom