Bringing a Canadian to Honey Island Range?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Someone I know is coming down from Canada and wants to go to the range.

Is there any problem with a Canadian getting a license of some type to go shooting on WMA property?

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I was at the Honey Island Range this past Sunday and the LDWF agent at the WMA check-in station told me that I must have a valid Louisiana fishing license to utilize the shooting range and if I were to access any other part of the WMA, additionally, I would need another permit. I had my current fishing/hunting license but neither the check-in agent nor anyone else asked to see it. I think a resident cane pole license is about $2.50.

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    He was incorrect. I'll try to find the post/info from range officials but they now give you a ticket at the range and licenses are no longer required. Unless that had changed since two weeks ago. I do know that on the info website it still says you need one.

***edit*** the only stuff i'm finding is that you no longer have to sign in at the front gate if you are going to and from the range. Maybe a range officer or range master could chime in?

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    A range officer told me that checking in at front gate is no longer required but we still have to have either a hunting or fishing licence. I seem to remember there was another type you could buy.. something like a "nature observing" tag which you could buy for the nature trails.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    A range officer told me that checking in at front gate is no longer required but we still have to have either a hunting or fishing licence. I seem to remember there was another type you could buy.. something like a "nature observing" tag which you could buy for the nature trails.

I just get the "Wild Louisiana" stamp. Its the cheapest thing I could find that would work at the WMA.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Okay so let's say you do need a fishing license or something to get there. Can a non US citizen get one? That's my biggest concern not spending the $5 on the license to be safe.

JoeRoache

This Space for Rent
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    River Ridge
    From talking to LDWF AND Range officers: A LDWF License is required to enter any WMA. If you are only going to the range, you do not need to check in at the WMA entrance, you check in at the range. If you go anywhere else on the WMA, regardless if you went to the range or not, you must check in with the self clearing permit at the WMA Entrance. Any LDWF License grants you entrance. I've taken non-residents with the Wild Louisiana license. Please read under State Requires: http://www.honeyisland.org/info.htm

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    From talking to LDWF AND Range officers: A LDWF License is required to enter any WMA. If you are only going to the range, you do not need to check in at the WMA entrance, you check in at the range. If you go anywhere else on the WMA, regardless if you went to the range or not, you must check in with the self clearing permit at the WMA Entrance. Any LDWF License grants you entrance. I've taken non-residents with the Wild Louisiana license. Please read under State Requires: http://www.honeyisland.org/info.htm

Joe is correct on this. Stop at Academy or Wal-Mart on your way there and get your Canadian friend a Wild Louisiana Stamp. It's $2 for one day. That's it. Good to go.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    You need any type of License that LWF issues to access the range. I've been going for years and have never been checked, but the fine is $350. That's the price of a new NAA revolver, and would cause me a boat load of butt hurt.

Your Canuk buddy can get a one day non-resident license for cheap. Much cheaper than the fine, should you get caught.

He can get a non-resident basic fishing license for $5, plus $2.50 for doing it online. Print out the confirmation and that will serve as the license. It's only good for one day though.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Anybody know the reason for this inconvenience?
    Revenue producer? Most gun folks already have hunting/fishing licenses. The ones who do not are only going to get a $3-5 cheapo - can't be that many per year to generate a lot of income for the state.
    Safety? Paying $3-5 for a "permit" that does not involve any training makes for no increased safety that I can think of.
    Government bureaucracy run amok? Makes more sense than anything else.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Anybody know the reason for this inconvenience?
    Revenue producer? Most gun folks already have hunting/fishing licenses. The ones who do not are only going to get a $3-5 cheapo - can't be that many per year to generate a lot of income for the state.
    Safety? Paying $3-5 for a "permit" that does not involve any training makes for no increased safety that I can think of.
    Government bureaucracy run amok? Makes more sense than anything else.

Revenue producer, yes. Because if one doesn't have it then that is a ticket to be written and money coming in.

Top Bottom