"Affluenza"?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I read that yesterday and it made me sick.

They aren't even bothering to LIE to us anymore! It's been known that rich people get off without punishment because they are affluent, but at least they'd get off on a 'technicality' or something within the law.

THIS WASN'T EVEN TRYING. LIE TO ME, JUDGE. ****ING LIE TO ME, THIS IS JUST OFFENSIVE.

****ing Texas.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thats how I see it....Saw a lot of this growing up in New Orleans with families with money and having the right connections..None involved with actual deaths but with property damages and stealing....

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    what can we do about this type of thing? What recourse do we have? Is this an "elected" judge or an "appointed" judge?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Oh my god. This whole situation makes me so mad.

One of my friends is arguing with me that I'm overreacting in this situation. I absolutely hate drunk drivers. I cannot believe that this kid killed 4 people and paralyzed a 5th person and is only getting 10 years probation. He's had other alcohol related incidents with law enforcement.

I absolutely hate the fact that he was stupid, made a really bad choice to drink underage and get behind the wheel of a vehicle, hit 4-5 other vehicles, threw his friend out the bed of a pick up truck, fled the scene, and plead that because his family is rich and he never had been disciplined for anything, that he shouldn't be held responsible. And what really pisses me off is that the judge went with it and only gave the kid 10 years probation. He's never going to learn from his mistake. He's never going to realize that he ended 5 people's lives far too early. He made the decision to drink. He made the decision to drive. He should suffer the consequences of any other human being who drinks and drives and ends up killing others.

/rant

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I read that yesterday and it made me sick.

They aren't even bothering to LIE to us anymore! It's been known that rich people get off without punishment because they are affluent, but at least they'd get off on a 'technicality' or something within the law.

THIS WASN'T EVEN TRYING. LIE TO ME, JUDGE. ****ING LIE TO ME, THIS IS JUST OFFENSIVE.

****ing Texas.

Yep...now its a disability and excuse for being a F*#*k - UP.
    Imagine that. But why should we be surprised. The wealthy who can afford a "dream team" of attorneys always get passes and "Get out of Jail Free " cards. Its the American way....Capitalism at its best. Its all about who you know and who your attorney knows.
    Money talks a BS walks.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Yep...now its a disability and excuse for being a F*#*k - UP.
    Imagine that. But why should we be surprised. The wealthy who can afford a "dream team" of attorneys always get passes and "Get out of Jail Free " cards. Its the American way....Capitalism at its best. Its all about who you know and who your attorney knows.
    Money talks a BS walks.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but this isn't Capitalism's fault, it plays no part in the gov't owned and operated court system.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If I hadn't seen this being reported everywhere, I'd swear this was something from The Onion....:doh:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    The best quote in the comments section:

"The paradox is making my head spin. If the judge holds him responsible, then the 16-year old holds an unrealistic and delusional view of reality, and truly suffers from a condition. So, if the judge accepts the defense's reasoning that the 16-year old has "affluenza", and doesn't hold him responsible, then the kid actually has no condition because it's true, and therefore the kid isn't suffering from any type of condition, and should be held responsible. Reality is, the kid belongs behind bars and judge should be disbarred. "

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The best cure for affluenza is being held accountable for your actions. BTW, affluenza can't be real because spellcheck wants to correct it.

RedStickChick, for my own curiosity, what was your friends argument to support this and how did they think were you overreacting?

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Under aged drinking, and the parent's aren't somehow in hot water, how?
    (Besides being rich...)

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Karma is a mother. One day this kid will f**k up again and somebody will be there to deliver what he rightfully deserves. His parents should be drug from their comfortable mansion and beat to within an inch of their lives for raising such a miserable POS. Also, the fact that judge is still sitting behind his podium is beyond me. He should be disbarred immediately.

To whoever asked why we no longer had faith in humanity, here is your reason.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The best cure for affluenza is being held accountable for your actions. BTW, affluenza can't be real because spellcheck wants to correct it.

RedStickChick, for my own curiosity, what was your friends argument to support this and how did they think were you overreacting?

Her argument is basically that because he's 16, he doesn't know anything. The "I'm gonna drink, I'm drunk, but I'll drive any way, nothing bad will EVER happen to me" attitude.

It just really annoys me (there are other words I'd rather say but will refrain) because I've know at least 1 person for every year since I've graduated high school in 2008 that has died either from driving drunk themselves or as a victim of a drunk driver (more actually). I've been hit by a drunk driver while driving in Colorado, and I've had my vehicle hit by a drunk driver while parked. I have zero respect for drunk drivers and the people who try to protect them.

Own up to your mistakes and errors in judgment and endure the consequences you deserve.

(For the record, I grew up in New Orleans and was lucky to attend private school, and sadly, a lot of these cases that I brought up earlier involved classmates at either my school or those in my grade at others).

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Allot of this happens in Baton Rouge. Anyone here who grew up going to catholic high or one of the other expensive private schools probably knows many people that got in plenty of trouble but their parents got them off. What's worst is because this town is all about "who you know" and not what you know many of these kids that are worthless grow up and get great jobs because of the family their in. I guess it's the same in every town though.
    Except for Kyle Manda. His family bought his freedom one too many times and couldn't afford the last one I guess.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but this isn't Capitalism's fault, it plays no part in the gov't owned and operated court system.

I am not blaming Capitalism. I am only saying that in this case...it appears to me that Capitalism ( money ) has trumped our Judicial system. Of course...it should not be that way and our Constitution tries to keep all bodies of government separate. But lets face it...money is power. And this kid killed 5 people...Yet Mommy and daddy bought him his freedom. IMO...the Judge's services were bought and paid for.
    Hence...Capitalism at its best IMO. A cynical view...yet thats how I see it.

FWIW..it's not capitalism's fault...because it really is just an example of human nature. The judge has no integrity IMO.

Definition of 'Capitalism'

A system of economics based on the private ownership of capital and production inputs, and on the production of goods and services for profit. The production of goods and services is based on supply and demand in the general market (market economy), rather than through central planning (planned economy). Capitalism is generally characterized by competition between producers. Other facets, such as the participation of government in production and regulation, vary across models of capitalism.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I am not blaming Capitalism. I am only saying that in this case...it appears to me that Capitalism ( money ) has trumped our Judicial system. Of course...it should not be that way and our Constitution tries to keep all bodies of government separate. But lets face it...money is power. And this kid killed 5 people...Yet Mommy and daddy bought him his freedom. IMO...the Judge's services were bought and paid for.
    Hence...Capitalism at its best IMO. A cynical view...yet thats how I see it.

FWIW..it's not capitalism's fault...because it really is just an example of human nature. The judge has no integrity IMO.

Definition of 'Capitalism'

A system of economics based on the private ownership of capital and production inputs, and on the production of goods and services for profit. The production of goods and services is based on supply and demand in the general market (market economy), rather than through central planning (planned economy). Capitalism is generally characterized by competition between producers. Other facets, such as the participation of government in production and regulation, vary across models of capitalism.

What makes it capitalistic is not your emphasis of 'for profit' but rather the private ownership and production in conjunction with profits and competitin. so capitalism shouldn't even be mentioned bc this is public governmental ownership and zero competition. This is much much worse than a true capitslistic market bc there's little recourse to be had, little chance of getting this judge kicked out and little chance of a fair trial for the families of the deceased. I don't mean to come at you or anything on this, just want to make clear the definitions of the terms.

And yes this entire immoral family needs to be taken down, along with the judge and entire system.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom