will there ever be .22 again?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    It seems to be trickling in to walmart a little more often. I've picked up over 4400 rounds in the past 3-4 months. And they had some 225 round packs of the Remington golden hp come in on the truck Friday afternoon and is usually out on the shelf the following morning. But either they did not put it all out or any at all since it is still showing in stock as of a few minutes ago. Like an addict, I'm having a very hard time not going there and grabbing 3 boxes.

ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe
    I don't think I've ever chimed in on this issue here on Bayou Shooter, so hey- what the heck. You may not like this, though.

The reason the .22 ammo shortage has lasted this long is that retailers and consumers have refused to allow simple supply and demand work to stabilize the market. When the events at the end of 2012 converged to cause panic, retailers should have raised prices. Doing that would not have been price gouging. I repeat: doing that would NOT have been price gouging (look up the definition. Lots of folks have it wrong).

Even today, .22lr should cost more than it did prior to the end of 2012. Do we WANT that? Heck no. But demand for the product is still too high for the supply.

The nature of the beast- .22lr- is that people want or need a lot of it. And even at, say, $35 a brick, it's still relatively inexpensive. If Academy had a pile of it out on the counter, and took the limit off, a lot of folks would still buy more one, even at that price. Do we like that price? Of course not. Can many of us remember paying $7, 8, 10 a brick, or even less? Of course.

Also, keep in mind that prices in general have gone up over the past few years. I remember paying $1.78 a pound for ground beef at Walmart in 2010. That same ground beef the other day was $3.98 a pound.

I don't like higher prices any more than you do. The sad fact is, though, that as long as retailers keep putting out .22lr at prices low enough that folks buy it all up as fast as they can, this shortage will persist.

steveo04234

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    As of 2:30pm, RJF has .22lr in stock, $40 a brick, 4 box limit.
    9988685088d42a3a0c477899e18545f8.jpg

3d18b42bcd64fd04cd85fbc38cb6ff7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    440 a brick? I am getting 4-5 alerts a day from slick guns for 22 ammo in the 4.5 cents to 5 cents a round range. No need to pay $40 / brick.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That is what I have been telling folks. Local dealers posting up $40 a brick before tax like it's a deal they are excited about. We get it for $10 less than that shipped to our door!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    And we do not know where nearby is if if Rhandali does not have his location in his profile.

Very good. I'm actually traveling in Australia right now and on my last day in Brisbane decided to duck into one of the only gun stores in the state with a buddy of mine who's figured out how to own guns here. Price for a brick of Thunderbolts was about 35 bucks US, but I'll take the shortage over their gun laws any day of the year.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    For all you guys who are finding .22, on the net or in stores, I could use a favor.

I need a couple of boxes of Fiocchi 38gr sub sonics for this hunting season. It's what my rifle likes and what I'm used to.

Any heads up on where it might be available is much appreciated. If you have some, I have other .22lr brands to trade.

dsc_0017.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom