Just bought a 1898 Krag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I received one from my father many years ago. It no longer has the original stock though. The rounds average about 35.00 for a box of 20. I know many people do not like them, but Cheaper than dirt does get some deals periodically and I have paid less than 20.00 for a box. I think it is the best shooting gun that I have especially considering the age. I even found a guy in PA that manufacturers sight rails for them.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Question: why do you figure it's an '03 stock? The 1903 Springfield is a totally different animal and the Krag with its side magazine would never fit. The wood in your pics appears to be original not counting the decoration. GW

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Question: why do you figure it's an '03 stock? The 1903 Springfield is a totally different animal and the Krag with its side magazine would never fit. The wood in your pics appears to be original not counting the decoration. GW

Pic #7 says 1903 maybe. My stock is pretty rough and "sportized" so I can't compare it, but mechanically they are very nice guns.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was offered a choice of one of those or a 8mm Mauser back in the early 80's in exchange for some labor. The Krag was rough and I knew absolutely nothing about them. The Mauser had 3rd reich markings, matching numbers and a bunch of ammo. A clean armory specimen. I never looked back....til now.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Nice rifle. I have 2 sportered Krags, but not a clean original rifle like that. Do yourself a favor and avoid current production ammo for that gun. What I mean is that the Krag action has a single locking lug that can crack under the high pressure of new loads developed for more modern rifles such as the Ruger model 1.

Find someone to load for you, look online as this is not too hard or look locally. I have a friend that loads a 165 gr. bullet for about +- 2000 fps that will not overpressure the action. This is adequate for target or normal hunting, I believe that Hornady has a load that is a 220 gr. bullet at about 2400-2500 fps that is close to military original, but does put a bit more stress on a +-110 year old gun that is not/was not the strongest of designs.

The gun should be safe to shoot and is a fun rifle at the range, do not misunderstand me; but please do accept it's limitations.
    BTW, the side loading magazine is the best idea ever and the easiest to load design of all.

Adanacdjm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2014
    St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
    I have a 1908 Norwegian Krag which is a Norwegian carbine built at the Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk (Arms Factory) in Norway in 1908. It appears the stock is a Model 1897 Carbine for the Norwegian Mountain Artillery and Royal Engineers.
    ce02e76cb7eb819319e0ee8b76abbae0.jpg
    a934b0cd66ef8a9b5b61bbf4e653ee29.jpg

It is chambered for the 6.5 X 55mm 'Swedish Mauser' cartridge. This ammo is readily available and popular here in Canada and in the U.S.
    As previous posters stated it is the smoothest bolt action I have ever had the privilege of operating.
    A fun rifle to shoot and I've taken a few deer over the years with this 100+ year old gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coastie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    OHHHH, Krags.....
    Let me see....4 U.S., 3 Norwegian, 4 Danish.
    I think that's about right.
    Now...wanted: a reasonably priced source of 8x58 Danish Rimmed ammo.
    [don't tell me about converting 45-70, 45-90 is the better start. And you need
    to "thin" the rim CORRECTLY!]
    {by the way the Norwegians barrels have LEFT hand threads!}

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom