Life expectancy of Sherburne shooters?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    That place makes me nervous! Guns pointing in every direction… and when the range is cold, guns are on the bench pointing down range with people working on them. Someone gonna get hurt there, or wrose!!!

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's why a lot of us go early weekend mornings or during the week :D. Beyond that though it's a self-policed range. If somebody's doing something unsafe firmly but politely ask them to stop doing it. If you approach people the right way I've never had an issue getting someone who's doing something unsafe to stop.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    That's why a lot of us go early weekend mornings or during the week :D. Beyond that though it's a self-policed range. If somebody's doing something unsafe firmly but politely ask them to stop doing it. If you approach people the right way I've never had an issue getting someone who's doing something unsafe to stop.

I did, but there was so many normal club violations to correct you wouldn’t have time to shoot (exaggeration :))! Still had a good day shooting!:draw:

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Unfortunately, the ranges who have supervision are having to cater to the "least common denominator" in an attempt to keep things relatively safe for everyone. No rapid fire, prone or standing fire, etc.. It's going to get worse as more and more shooters utilize the ranges we have, I'm afraid.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I go there some, I dont go down range without a friend watching the line.. If someone is working on the gun, tell them a cold range means NO gun touching and for them to be away from the gun.. you have to communicate .. not everyone's idea of safe is the same..

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I go there some, I dont go down range without a friend watching the line.. If someone is working on the gun, tell them a cold range means NO gun touching and for them to be away from the gun.. you have to communicate .. not everyone's idea of safe is the same..

Great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish

^^^THIS.

Communication is key. If you see an unsafe act kindly correct said violator. And keep a friend back on the line to ensure your safty down range.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    It's not just Sherburne. Many people either don't get it or truly don't know better. Even at my own range I've had to jump on a few people about how they handle things.

Bareny88pdc beat me to it by a minute. What he said.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Dave is right, everyone's idea of safe is different. I have gone to Sherburne for years because I don't want to join a club. It was always understood and okay for a cold range to leave the rifles on the rest, just don't touch them. One day a jackoff was bitching and complaining that all of us had to unload and pickup our rifles to go down range and if we didn't he was calling so and so blah blah blah... He was a lil a**hole about it. We basically told him no and he went away. It's all how you talk to people.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Dave is right, everyone's idea of safe is different. I have gone to Sherburne for years because I don't want to join a club. It was always understood and okay for a cold range to leave the rifles on the rest, just don't touch them. One day a jackoff was bitching and complaining that all of us had to unload and pickup our rifles to go down range and if we didn't he was calling so and so blah blah blah... He was a lil a**hole about it. We basically told him no and he went away. It's all how you talk to people.

Good attitude, were you at Sherburne on Saturday?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Had 2 ladies and 2 teenage girls together at barneys a few weeks ago sign up for range time and proceed to say "ive never fired a gun before. how do i put bullets in it"

The kid* (edit: changed to a less insulting, yet equally accurate adjective) behind the counter starts explaining all this crap about sight pictures and breathing techniques, and never once discussed not pointing it in unsafe directions or how to use the safety. If he had been more focused on the threat of loss of life than the 16yr olds chest, I'd like to think he'd have given more valuable information.

As soon as they walked off I asked him "is there an RO or someone to accompany them?"

"no sir. pistol or rifle?"

"You don't think that with 20 people in there, that she might have just admitted to being a tremendous liability?"

"no sir. ....pistol or rifle?"

"Both. Oh, I sure hope she remembers your ten minute speech on sight pictures while shes pointing that revolver at everyone in the building"

when I walked in, two guys had beat me to it and offered some friendly assistance- which the girls, and everyone else, were appreciative for. As I left the guy told me as soon as she walked in she loaded the revolver and answered a text message in the other hand with the revolver pointed straight at him. This was his red flag to offer assistance, or leave. I thanked him for helping her and relayed the conversation out front.

long winded, but +1 to it being every range, everywhere.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I think i know the one your talking about, 25/26 years old with a bit of an attitude, Never smile's either.

Had 2 ladies and 2 teenage girls together at barneys a few weeks ago sign up for range time and proceed to say "ive never fired a gun before. how do i put bullets in it"

The kid* (edit: changed to a less insulting, yet equally accurate adjective) behind the counter starts explaining all this crap about sight pictures and breathing techniques, and never once discussed not pointing it in unsafe directions or how to use the safety. If he had been more focused on the threat of loss of life than the 16yr olds chest, I'd like to think he'd have given more valuable information.

As soon as they walked off I asked him "is there an RO or someone to accompany them?"

"no sir. pistol or rifle?"

"You don't think that with 20 people in there, that she might have just admitted to being a tremendous liability?"

"no sir. ....pistol or rifle?"

"Both. Oh, I sure hope she remembers your ten minute speech on sight pictures while shes pointing that revolver at everyone in the building"

when I walked in, two guys had beat me to it and offered some friendly assistance- which the girls, and everyone else, were appreciative for. As I left the guy told me as soon as she walked in she loaded the revolver and answered a text message in the other hand with the revolver pointed straight at him. This was his red flag to offer assistance, or leave. I thanked him for helping her and relayed the conversation out front.

long winded, but +1 to it being every range, everywhere.

Top Bottom