Encounter with wildlife agent at Honey Island

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    This may get pretty long, but there's a point to it.

I went to the Honey Island range yesterday for a couple of hours. I haven't been past the range is a very long time. After I left the range, I decided to head down to Indian Bayou Road and check things out. At the end of the road was parked a wildlife agent just chilling in his truck, talking on his phone. I waved as I passed him, he waved back, and I turned around and headed back to the main road. About two minutes later he appeared in my rear view mirror and flashed his blue lights.
    I pulled over immediately and kept my hands on the steering wheel, knowing I had a couple of firearms in the truck.

Agent: "How are you doing?"
    Me: "Doing fine, you?"
    Agent: "I'm good. You were going a little fast down the road."
    Me: "Sorry about that."
    Agent: "So whatcha doing back here?"
    Me: "Just left the range and I haven't been back in this area in years. Just thought I'd check it out."
    Agent: "Do you have any firearms on you?"
    Me: "Yes, sir."

This is where I was getting a little nervous. I know I can have a firearm in my truck, but I was still getting nervous. This was the first time I've been pulled over with a gun on me.

Agent: "What do you have?"
    Me: "I have a .22 and a 9mm."
    Agent: "Where are they?"
    Me: "The .22 is behind my seat and the 9mm is under that junk there." I pointed to a pile on the passenger floor.
    Agent: "Are they loaded?"
    Me: "No sir. I cleared them before I left the range."
    Agent: "Ok. Did you fill out the self clearing permit at the entrance?"
    Me: "No sir."
    Agent: "You need to fill out a permit whenever you do anything other than going to and from the range."

He continued to tell me about the rules of the WMA. I'm man enough to admit when I've done something wrong. I know I should have filled out the self-clearing permit before I went anywhere else than the range. I apologized to the agent.

Agent: "I'm not going to write you a fine or anything, just be sure to fill out the paperwork next time you come in."
    Me: "Yes sir."
    Agent: "Try to keep it around 25 on these dirt roads. I know there's no speed limit signs posted but these roads are pretty jacked up."
    Me: "Yes sir. I'll do that."

So here's a couple of points to keep in mind when visiting the Honey Island range:
    1. Even though you may not see a wildlife agent each time you go there, that doesn't mean they aren't there.
    2. If you only go to the range, you don't need to fill out the permit. But you can't go anywhere else without filling out the permit. You can only go to and from the range.
    3. If you think you may want to go joy riding while in the WMA, fill out the permit when you go in just in case. The time it took for the agent to questions me , I could have had the permit filled out.
    4. Treat law enforcement like you would want to be treated and all will be fine.
    5. Don't be a dumbass like me and ignore the rules of the WMA. I knew what I did was wrong and still did it anyway. I consider myself lucky that the agent didn't issue a fine to me. But luck can only get me so far.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I'm glad he was cool too. But I really don't want to test just how cool he is. Definitely will fill out the permit EVERY time I visit from now on... even if it's just to go to the range.

As long as you have and keep the pull-tag, that you get when you pay and sign in to the range, you are covered when leaving the range and heading straight out of the WMA. The same instructions can be found at the Pearl River WMA entrance...

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    You're correct on that. My point was that when I go again, it would just be easier to fill out the permit when I get there just in case I decide to play around elsewhere in the WMA. Better safe than sorry.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Thanks for posting this, I only go to the range there, but knowledge is power! You gave great advice on how to enjoy the MWR without hassle.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    What? He did not taze you? You did not ask if you were being detained, no video? I don't believe you...

Actually sounds like all but one interaction with LEO I have had. Only dealt with the WF once, but same thing. Makes you wonder, if in the locker room at WFA if the agent was telling the others about someone who was actually polite, listened to the rules, and agreed to follow them in the future.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Good story, good outcome, the only thing I will add is to ALWAYS FILL OUT A SELF CLEARING PERMIT!!! they use these to see how many people use the WMA and for what, and to assist in the allocation of funds. While far fetched, if a lot of people fill out the form, and write RANGE on it, maybe they will build another range at another WMA, or expand Honey Island or Sherburne.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    There are some good guys out there. I've had interaction with them a few times. One time we were geocaching and I guess we looked a little suspicious looking around one particular spot and he rolled up on us. Same type of interaction as you had. He was polite, we were polite, explained what we were doing and he was interested in learning about it. Even helped point out spots on our map. Told us to be safe and went on his way.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    My experience with WLF has always been great in the pearl river WMA. Wish I could say the same about some of the other hunters there.
    Like it was said above, respect and kindness will usually be accepted and returned when dealing with a LEO or wildlife agent!

But as for our fellow hunters out there, not so much.
    I worry more about some idiot with a gun in thoses swamps/woods than any hog, snake, or mosquitoes!!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have always had professional interactions with the WL agents. Same goes for the LEos who patrol in Iberville waters.. I dont know why folks think they are assholes or out to get them. Generally speaking, they are just making sure we are following the rules..They didnt write the rules.. Folks we elected did.

Top Bottom