Most underrated rimfire rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sphill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Leesville, LA
    I believe the most underrated rimfire rifle is the CZ 452 and the Cricket youth guns. What do you think is the most underrated?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Marlin 60
    So much attention is given to the Ruger 10/22 that people forget how excellent the out-of-the-box accuracy is on this rifle.....not to mention the reliabilty and dependability of this fine tube fed semi auto .22lr rifle.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I like my 10/22's lots, but when I head to the woods to shoot a squirrel I usually grab the Marlin Model 60. The 10/22 is quicker to reload with the magazines, but heck the Model 60 holds 12 or more rounds and usually that's plenty enough for me to make a quick hunt in the morning. For what they cost and for how accurate they are, I second the poster above on it being underrated.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Years ago I would have said "CZ, what is that?" Now, it's the only brand of new 22 rifle I'll buy. They're just too darn accurate. I'd have to say Marlins are underrated based on the fact that some folks swear by them, but I've never had any luck with them.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Just purchased a composite model 60 for my step son to shoot. I've owned and sold two others from the late 80's early 90's and I was never really impressed with them. One would jam all the time. Hopefully the new one will work out.

A CZ is next on my list. I'm really liking the Ruger American I recently purchased. Sighted in the scope I mounted this weekend and took out an orange dot smaller than a dime at 30 yards with 10 shots. Watch out squirrels.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Just purchased a composite model 60 for my step son to shoot. I've owned and sold two others from the late 80's early 90's and I was never really impressed with them. One would jam all the time. Hopefully the new one will work out.

A CZ is next on my list. I'm really liking the Ruger American I recently purchased. Sighted in the scope I mounted this weekend and took out an orange dot smaller than a dime at 30 yards with 10 shots. Watch out squirrels.

I had jamming issures with my Marlin with the Remington ammo. Changed to CCI and haven't had an issue since.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I won't go near a Cricket. Too many bad stories and a few horrible ones.
    Including the kid who had some fingers mangled when one went kaboom!

The only Youth Models I would approve of is the Savage Rascal and/or Henry Mini-Bolt.
    Well made, quality youth rifles.

Savage Rascal /Orange

qjud74y.png

Last edited:

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Rossi crack barrel .22/.410. Started my daughter off on it so she could shoot cb shorts and get used to shooting and not be scared of the sound. Later she could hit a 8" steel target at 100yds with a cheap Tasco red dot on it with regular .22 ammo. I have schooled countless children on this gun as well. (when someone says My kid needs to learn how to shoot, this is the gun I dig out of the safe and some cb shorts). Plus you get a .410 barrel to top off the deal. When I bought thr Rossi it was only 119$ at Wmart. I think the last time I looked it was 139$

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I won't go near a Cricket. Too many bad stories and a few horrible ones.
    Including the kid who had some fingers mangled when one went kaboom!

The only Youth Models I would approve of is the Savage Rascal and/or Henry Mini-Bolt.
    Well made, quality youth rifles.

Savage Rascal /Orange

qjud74y.png

The Thompson Center Hotshot gets no love.
    I got one for my daughter 3 years ago and another for my son yesterday.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The Thompson Center Hotshot gets no love.
    I got one for my daughter 3 years ago and another for my son yesterday.

Well I didn't like the idea of the hammer. Wanted to go with a traditional Bolt Action.
    Which is also why I also didn't choose the Henry. The Henry's firing pin has to be manually pulled back in order to fire.

The Savage Rascal bolt is reset by lifting the bolt handle up. Just thought it was more in tune to what I wanted them to learn.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'd have to vote Marlin 60 also. Even neglected and gummed up mine has been reliable and accurate. Mine likes thunderbolts.
    Also the NEF Versapak, i was surprised at the accuracy out of the box. And as pointed out, crack barrels arent fussy about ammo and are easy for new shooters. I reckon the bolt action singles are good too but i havent owned one yet.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I had a pocket full of .22 cowboy guns and then I bought a Browning, now its just the Browning. The 33-degree throw of the lever with the trigger is quick and on target but then its hard to miss with it. Browning T-bolt is another passed by. They are pricy but hey you get what you pay for.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I believe the most underrated rimfire rifle is the CZ 452 and the Cricket youth guns. What do you think is the most underrated?

452 was discontinued, the new CZ455 is even better.

Just cant find a lefty anywhere in the model I want.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    marlin.jpg

Bought one of these about 12 years ago when I used to duck hunt a lot. We would shoot tin cans (or empty shotgun shells) in the afternoons. With a compact 4x scope, it is a real tack driver.

Plus, broken down, it fit in my hunting gear duffel bag.

nd09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks guys, this thread reminded me to get on the ball to having my old Winchester 190 Ted Williams fixed. Dropped it off to a small local shop today. I love that thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom