1911 holster question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I'm looking for an OWB holster for a 5 inch 1911. I was looking at a couple of Open Top holsters and was wondering if 1911 owners felt it necessary to carry in a rig with a thumb-break retention strap. I've carried Glocks in open top holsters and assume that a cocked and locked 1911 wouldn't pose any more safety concerns than a Glock.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The thumb break gives a bit of retention protection, blocks the hammer, and blocks the safety from inadvertent movement. Arguably a must if you carry locked and cocked. I've never had an issue drawing from a thumb break. I did go through a couple of holsters before settling on the Desantis thumb break. The Desantis thumb break fits snuggly between the hammer and firing pin, breaks easily even on first use, and is slightly canted forward. I would also say that a proper belt is just as important as the holster. Feed the belt through holster loop, then the belt loop, then the holster loop for very secure and consistent placement.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    If your thumb safety and grip safety are working properly on a 1911, a thumb break to block the hammer is merely belt and suspenders…unnecessary IMO but doesn't hurt anything if it makes you comfy. All mine are open top.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I have an excellent open top by Ed Brown (made by DeSantis). I bought it many years back and wear it once in a while. It is a model 087 84. Good leather. Conceals well. Holds the 1911 nicely.

Doubt they make it anymore, but give the DeSantis web site a look. They make really nice holsters for 1911.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Forgot to add my recommendations for 1911 holsters: for leather, I like and use Milt Sparks VMII (IWB) and BN55 (OWB, straight), Galco's Combat Master (OWB, FBI cant) and, in kydex for competition, either a Blade-Tech DOH or KyTac, both OWB and straight (no cant).

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Thumb break is not necessary for safety. I have one by Desantis with a thumb break, and one with out. I have IWB holsters with out a thumb break. Get what ever you feel comfortable with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom