NOLA gunsmith knowledgeable in milsurp rifles?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemiDesperado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Hi all. As you can see, I'm new to these forums. I recently moved to NOLA and acquired a Gew. 88 Commission Rifle, probably made about 1890. I have been researching this firearm quite a bit online and can tell that I need to have the barrel and chamber checked out by a qualified gunsmith before remotely considering taking it out to the range.

I have learned the hard way in the past that you really gotta take milsurp rifles to gunsmiths who know their history and subject matter extremely well -- otherwise, you get incorrect and misleading information.

Does anyone have any recommendations on qualified gunsmiths in NOLA? I'd be willing to drive an hour or so outside of town if you know of anyone a bit farther away.

Thanks!

SemiDesperado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Try Comeaux's Gun Clinic or Gretna Gun. They've both done good work for me. Just Google them for ph/location info.
    Thanks for the info but sadly things didn't turn out well (to say the least).

Gretna gun didn't even know what slugging the bore meant, and said they weren't "equipped" to do my very basic work. They also recommended Comeaux, so I gave it a try.

My experience was horrible. The man running his business was very rude on the phone and charged me a ludicrous amount for the "work" he did -- about 15 minutes worth total. Even worse, when I got my rifle back home I noticed rust all over the barrel and the bore that wasn't there before. This guy actually stores his customers' guns OUTSIDE IN A SHED. Unbelievable. As I'm typing this, I'm trying to get all the rust off of my rifle. Never again.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the info but sadly things didn't turn out well (to say the least).

Gretna gun didn't even know what slugging the bore meant, and said they weren't "equipped" to do my very basic work. They also recommended Comeaux, so I gave it a try.

My experience was horrible. The man running his business was very rude on the phone and charged me a ludicrous amount for the "work" he did -- about 15 minutes worth total. Even worse, when I got my rifle back home I noticed rust all over the barrel and the bore that wasn't there before. This guy actually stores his customers' guns OUTSIDE IN A SHED. Unbelievable. As I'm typing this, I'm trying to get all the rust off of my rifle. Never again.

This guy actually stores his customers' guns OUTSIDE IN A SHED. Unbelievable.

WTF.....that's crazy. You are almost bound to end up with a rusted gun with our humidity unless prior oiling down of the firearm. And I guess he didn't do that...since it ended rusted.

Sainte70

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    NOLA

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    You could try the grumpy old guy in Lacombe, no real recommendations. Try the guns-n-ammo place in pearl piver, they are at least polite and seem to have their customers in mind. Good luck.
    BTW Ken is higher than a kite on his prices in my opinion.

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    SD This is my first post and I hope you haven't wasted your time with any gun work. I have a GEW 88 and it has been converted to modern 8mm Look at the top of the receiver and if it has been converted it will have a notch and a "V" at the front and back of the receiver.
    That being said it is a tough, strong rifle but modern ammo is really too much for a lot of use. The original round was 1/3 weaker with a blackpowder mix and different dimensions than modern ammo.
    Necessary work will require a chamber ream and barrel work involving boring the diameter.
    Most available have had this done as per the markings aforementioned.
    It will be shootable but at the range the concussion will clear the tables on either side of you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom