My Experience @ the PHOBOS SOLUTIONS Precision Rifle Class!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I can now add Basic Precision Rifle to my tool box, thanks to PHOBOS SOLUTIONS! I had to jump on this opportunity since I know of very few precision classes offered here in Louisiana within 1hr from my location (North Shore). A class like this has been on my *TO DO* list of training for a while now.

Just FYI, other than my hunting experience with a scoped gun, I have VERY little technical knowledge of precision shooting. Here in S. Louisiana I hunt swamps and the longest shot I have taken for large game is 75yrds. So in short, I know NOTHING when it comes to the precision platform. I guess it’s a good thing for the instructors since I had not established any bad habits they would need to break. LOL.

The class took place in Covington at what I call, *THE PIT*. Great place to shoot! I got there at 8:30am and met with instructors, Lewis Frost and James Wine. They were ranging distances and setting up targets for the day. This was the first time I met either instructors and was very surprised to see how friendly they were. I almost immediately felt like I had known these guys for years. My perception on Precision shooting was one of academic study of math, physics, and geography. In my mind, very black and white, dry subjects. Thus I expected the instructors to be of the like. I was wrong!

The day started off with a class orientation and safety brief as all classes should. We then placed our guns on a cleaning table for Lewis to make a quick inspection to determine what we had to work with and how he would have to tailor the class. Since we all had different glass, it was important for him to determine if it was Mil-Mil or MOA-MOA so he could call corrections for each shooters set-up. No one showed up with a sub-par bang stick that needed to be replaced. We started out with two bolt guns and the rest were .308 AR platforms. At that point he left all guns in their original configuration so as to let each shooter see for them selves what it would do without recommended changes.

We were then given a 5* binder data book. First thought was, *Oh S*&%* do I need to memorize all this? Once I opened it and realized that much of it was templates I would need to fill in as I shot, I felt less over whelmed. We all went through terms and basics to get us started. So far, Lewis was keeping us interested and to my surprise, I was not lost. He was making it simple to understand yet technical enough that I did not feel spoon fed. Before we shot our zeroing groups we were taught the *Proper* way to clean our guns. This was a must to get an accurate cold bore shot. I would later learn that each consequential shot was reliant on the previous one. Thus, we needed to take our time and do it right as well as document everything. Throughout the first day Lewis would teach us what and how to enter data into our logs after our shots. We then lay behind our guns and Lewis would come by and check the eye relief and cheek weld making adjustments as needed. Never realized how important the cheek weld would be to a long day of shooting.

We were all ready to send our first *Cold Bore* shot down range at 100yrds. We documented it and then fired a five shot string. We all hit paper but not to the standard Lewis wanted to see. James collected the targets and we analyzed with an explanation of what we were doing wrong. Lewis would just look at the target and tell us shot by shot what we did wrong. At first I doubted he could actually call this. Later in the day, I realized this ability was legit! He would call out what I did wrong before I was able to voice it. I was impressed to say the least! We chronographed each gun so as to assist with scope adjustments later. This number plays a key role in the mathematic for proper scope adjustment. As we fired a few more five shot groups and documented same, Lewis would start making changed to a shooters gun, position, grip, cheek weld, etc…. On a side note, he encouraged us to ask questions and to interrupt him if he started using unfamiliar terms. Not one time throughout the two days did I ever feel lost or under stimulated. I felt so at ease, that I had no qualm about asking any question. Both Lewis and James were eager to share all the wealth of information they had to offer. Lewis pulled a plethora of personal equipment and allowed us to use so as to see the difference in what we brought and what it did to improve our accuracy. He encouraged us to shoot his guns (worth more than what my wife would ever allow me to spend! LOL). He reiterated the fact that they were just tools to be used. Either way, I could not help but treat them with white gloves. We continued to shoot at 100yrds to work our data entry skills and fundamentals.

We broke for lunch but no one left. We hydrated and snacked on what we brought while discussing a number of topics. It felt like a day of shooting with your older very knowledgeable buddies! The whole group clicked. As we finished eating, we would each clean our gun as requested so as to fire another cold bore shot. As the day progressed we noticed our groups get better and we were all falling into place with equipment. It was 200yrd time and we documented those shots. Before the day ended steel was introduced and we were able to enjoy the beautiful sound of a rounds hitting steel. None of us were ready for the day to end but as our shot groups showed, we were ready to give our shoulders a rest. So we cleaned our guns as Lewis and James continued to discuss our results.

The Next day I knew we would push out to beyond 200yrds. We started with a cold bore at 100yrds and then 200yrds all on paper. We then went to 300yrds on paper and steel poppers with Lewis calling adjustments to each shooters scope. We analyzed shots and made adjustments with discussions re scope clicks at distance, wind, temp, humidity, and light. By noon it was hot and bright and Lewis had us shoot paper at 300yrds. We were all amazed how uniformly low and right all of our shots were going. As Lewis explained it, it was due to shadow and light at noon and the placement of the sun. All this must be taken into account and here we had it shown to us first hand. We then moved to 400yrds paper and after adjustments and analyzing our shots, we were hitting a steel swinger. Love that sound!! James was able to get the furthest steel silhouette out to 450yrds. It looked further but I ranged it and it was spot on at 450yrds. Lewis worked his mental magic and called scope adjustments to each of us and BING! Oh, that lovely sound!

The last string for the day was to confirm our 100yrd zero. We dialed it back and shot our 5 shot group. (See Below)

I just want to thank Nick for helping me get in on the class! Thank you man! I hope to be seeing you guys again soon.

In summary, here are my opinions, good and bad, from the two day class.

GOOD: I learned a hell of a lot about me, the gun, and the ammo.

BAD: Now I have to buy a smaller Harris bi-pod and more 168gr FGMM ammo. I also enjoyed scratching the surface of precision rifle so that means I need to come up with more $ to continue this new skill set. Here are some pics Phobos allowed me to use. Enjoy!

What you will need:
    Bolt or Semi Auto Rifle capable 1 inch groups at 100 yards. 250 rounds of Match Grade ammunition, A weapon sling, Bipod or bag for use as support, Rear support bag, eye and ear protection, fluids for hydration.

Student recommendations: Baseball cap, sunscreen, insect repellant, knee and elbow pads Laser Rangefinder, Spotting scope or Binoculars, Shooting Mat.

Last edited:

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Sounds like fun man. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like I need to stock up on ammo and take a class myself.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Looks good, also looks like the only female has the coolest setup. Good to see some people putting on a rifle class locally.

Now its time to step up and take a class at K&M in florida.

Phobos Sol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Greater NOLA
    Mark, thank you for the AAR. The logistics for this class are the most difficult of all the classes we offer, but seeing your write up makes it all worth it. I am glad you learned your rifle better and enjoyed learning it at that. I am posting some more photos from the class and hope to have a lot more posted on our website soon.

Nick

948A8FE1-20AB-42D8-B74F-17623CA72F75_zpsrmdurugd.jpg

DF3C9A7E-6E67-4E97-A6BB-78700E580F13_zpsubnlgavd.jpg

81450C98-B343-494F-92F4-CC82C0666D5D_zpsr1goy3mk.jpg

08615A78-ABDE-4311-B4B1-004A2C14D95D_zpshcptiqha.jpg

7D9CCDF5-165D-4747-BF2B-4E032E65039E_zpsiqeegj1m.jpg

C8630106-412A-4729-91AF-9175C3D5FF08_zpsd3k9mqdy.jpg

A00B37AF-3983-4F9B-AD2D-2FC5309661B0_zpsmr712ngr.jpg

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Hopefully not completely off the subject... I took my concealed carry class with James Wine and the rest of the Phobos crew, and I agree 100% with freedive10's observation on the approachability, friendliness and professionalism of the team. Can't wait to save up some cash and participate in the rest of their courses. A+!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Great to see new people taking interest in precision rifle. There is a growing contingent of new shooters around Monroe Louisiana that the Morris boys have hooked and I've got a few guys who's lips I've ripped in my area.

Riley6874

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    New Orleans
    I also took the precision rifle class with mark. First, a huge thank you needs to go out to Phobos Solutions for putting on a First Class Training experience, the amount of work and prep that went into this class was top notch, from the shooting platforms to each persons personal Date book that Lewis Frost took the time to make for everybody and of course the instructors. Second, As someone who has never shot precision Rifle other than to zero a scope at the range, Lewis's approach and instruction made learning very easy and fun. He took the time to explain everything and the why it was happening. This class gave me the knowledge to confidently work a scope and to be able to make precision shots. As someone who trains with Lewis and Phobos Solutions on a very regular basis, Lewis Nick and Jimmy are the best that you will ever find. I waited over a year for them to teach this class and the wait was well worth it. Mark did an excellent job of describing the two days, so I dont have much to add to that other than If you want to learn about precision rifle shooting this is a must take class , you will not be disappointed.

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    We have it tentatively scheduled for 9/27 & 9/28. It will be Covington again. I'll get it up on our website soon, and will post it in our Sponsor Thread soon.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & misspellings thanks to iPhone

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    We have it tentatively scheduled for 9/27 & 9/28. It will be Covington again. I'll get it up on our website soon, and will post it in our Sponsor Thread soon.

Nick

GAAAAH!!!
    Another class while I'll be on my cruise! :wtc:

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    I hesitate to ask this, cause everyone asks this, but do you have any scope recommendations? Less than five hundred dollars?

Phobos Sol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Greater NOLA
    Jabba,

Scopes are one of the most critical things you can buy when you become involved in shooting long distance. My general recommendation is do not skimp on the scope. We have had several people arrive at these precision rifle classes with various scopes and often in a very short periods of time it becomes obvious that the lower end scopes have difficulty tracking there for making consistent adjustments very difficult.

As far as my recommendation for a scope that is under $500.00. The only scopes that I am aware of that are well made with good glass and an excellent warranty would be the Vortex optics. I have T&E several of these and the offer several different lines that have a wide variety in price. However, they were all consistently good performers. They offer a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X44. That was a good value at around $599.00 retail. There may be many other offerings in this price range that are of very good value and quality but I am not very knowledgeable on scopes with in this price range.

If I was in the market for a new optic and wanted to stay local I would go see Jay or Chris over at Sport Optics in Hammond they are both very knowledgeable and they have a very large selection of optics on hand for you to view. Below you will find the link to the Vortex scope I referenced earlier.

http://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-rifle-scopes.aspx

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I'd like to take the class myself, I bought a rifle to take a clase 2 years ago, and had just broke it in when Isaac hit and flooded my house but my guns cleaned up well and work fine 1/4" moa if I do my part. As far as scopes, I just put on one of the Bushnell Elite HDMR's which are excellent and highly recommend it, and the price was $1200, but its 34mm so a new set of rings was needed, I put Nightforce rings I got from Jay at Sportoptics in Hammond. Oh and a big hello to Nick and Lewis, I miss seeing y'all at Nicks Shooting Range.
    Darrell

Last edited:

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Just checked out the Phobos website. Is the Defensive Designated Marksman just the new name for the Long Range class, or is this something new?

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    DDM is the same course as the AAR above. We have a new tech building our site and things are a little wonky right now. Hope this helps.

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom