Decent semi auto for first air rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I'm trying to figure out a decent/nice semi auto air gun for back yard plinking. Looking to spend around $300 for gun and optic. Id prefer to buy local over Internet, so what's out there and where?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm trying to figure out a decent/nice semi auto air gun for back yard plinking. Looking to spend around $300 for gun and optic. Id prefer to buy local over Internet, so what's out there and where?

Is semi-auto definitely a requirement? I have a pretty awesome (relatively speaking) Gamo break barrel air rifle that is tons of fun for backyard plinking. If you want to try it out, just hit me up.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I ended up picking up a benjamin break barren nitro piston. Got around 350 rds through it and just sighted it in again yesterday now that its broken in. Got 7 in a row at 40 yards about the size of a half dollar. With the .22 I was able to take out a fairly large armadillo with one shot at around 35 yards. Reloading it sucks though after the 15-20th shot. Did a side by side with my neighbors gamo, and the benjamin is much quieter. For the bigger stuff, im gonna try and find a single shot .22 that can handle .22short instead of the LR, as its much quieter than the LR.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Well I have a Umerex steelforce has a 6 round burst mode, sadly it only goes 430 fps, but its soo much fun.... soo much fun...

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    A friend of mine has a Crosman 1077 and it's a lot of fun; uses CO2 powerlets and 12 round rotary magazines. There are .22 repeaters out there, but they get into high dollar territory pretty quick. This Hammerli seems to be well thought of and it uses the big 90 gram CO2 cartridges that you can find at Wal-Mart. Either of those should give you plenty leftover in your budget to buy an optic.

Top Bottom