My running log, by JR1572, hijacked by AustinBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Been focusing more on sprints now that I'm finally back on the foot.

First sprint was 55 yards (a foot race that we guessed at 50 yards and measured afterwards) and came in at 7.16. This made me decide to try again at the 40 yard mark for old times' sake.

Ran a 5.22 on my best of 3, outdoors in the heat. I'm making 5 flat my goal. The heat and humidity yesterday sure didn't help, when it cools off I think I'll get a free tenth or so. At any rate this is the first time I measured it in a decade, so I wasn't disappointed. I'll be doing parachute sprints and widdling this time down, hopefully.

Note that these were hand timed, and is just a rough gauge of measurement. I have no idea what my laser timed 40 is, but its certainly not a 5.22. When I think I run a 5.0 I'll head over and ask the local coach to time me for shts/giggles, and will of course post the reading here for my just praise or ridicule :rofl:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Been focusing more on sprints now that I'm finally back on the foot.

First sprint was 55 yards (a foot race that we guessed at 50 yards and measured afterwards) and came in at 7.16. This made me decide to try again at the 40 yard mark for old times' sake.

Ran a 5.22 on my best of 3, outdoors in the heat. I'm making 5 flat my goal. The heat and humidity yesterday sure didn't help, when it cools off I think I'll get a free tenth or so. At any rate this is the first time I measured it in a decade, so I wasn't disappointed. I'll be doing parachute sprints and widdling this time down, hopefully.

Note that these were hand timed, and is just a rough gauge of measurement. I have no idea what my laser timed 40 is, but its certainly not a 5.22. When I think I run a 5.0 I'll head over and ask the local coach to time me for shts/giggles, and will of course post the reading here for my just praise or ridicule :rofl:

Well at that rate we might actually get you out to the biking trails soon....

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well at that rate we might actually get you out to the biking trails soon....

I sure hope so. Toe feels okay today, but its red and ugly. May have doc make sure that I'm not dying of some alien infection or something, and as soon as I get the all clear I'll be out there in no time.

and it'll be cooling off soon too? I sense plenty of bike rides in the near future.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I sure hope so. Toe feels okay today, but its red and ugly. May have doc make sure that I'm not dying of some alien infection or something, and as soon as I get the all clear I'll be out there in no time.

and it'll be cooling off soon too? I sense plenty of bike rides in the near future.

Excuses excuses :P

Heat isn't much of a factor. At a moderate pace of around 10 MPH out there you have a solid breeze in your face the whole time. Oh, and the tree canopy keeps the temp down pretty well. The worst part is the humidity that gets stuck under the trees, but this is Southern Louisiana afterall, so humidity is to be expected.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Excuses excuses :P

Heat isn't much of a factor. At a moderate pace of around 10 MPH out there you have a solid breeze in your face the whole time. Oh, and the tree canopy keeps the temp down pretty well. The worst part is the humidity that gets stuck under the trees, but this is Southern Louisiana afterall, so humidity is to be expected.

hmm hadnt considered that. I've been riding on the street - and its hot as f

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    hmm hadnt considered that. I've been riding on the street - and its hot as f

Yeah. Much too hot for that. Two of my best friends just did the trace. 470 miles over 8 days. 36 hours of biking.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Boxed for 45 minutes today. Then an hour and a half of tennis @ LSU with a buddy followed up by a brisk jog around the lakes. Sunburns are just SO much fun! But hey, at least I burned off my LSU dinner from last night!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Having had major knee surgery in the past and weighing 215lbs I've never been a good runner. I'm also very prone to chin splints. But I'm stupid and stubborn so I run 3 miles most days anyways because I live near the lakes. It makes my knees and my right hip ache and my chins kill me.

Until today. Needed some new shoes so I went by varsity sports. They talked me into getting some shoes that are specifically for long distance or people with bad knees. I got em and went for a run. I could feel them soaking up the impact on every step. I normally do my 3 miles at around 23 minutes. Today was 21:43 at 2pm and hot as hell. And I didn't stop there either. I just kept running because my legs felt great. No pain anywhere for the first time in years. Couldn't be happier and thought I would share. Shoes are made by Hoka one.
    1ab8bf714c07220878abb63e34d20378.jpg

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Having had major knee surgery in the past and weighing 215lbs I've never been a good runner. I'm also very prone to chin splints. But I'm stupid and stubborn so I run 3 miles most days anyways because I live near the lakes. It makes my knees and my right hip ache and my chins kill me.

Until today. Needed some new shoes so I went by varsity sports. They talked me into getting some shoes that are specifically for long distance or people with bad knees. I got em and went for a run. I could feel them soaking up the impact on every step. I normally do my 3 miles at around 23 minutes. Today was 21:43 at 2pm and hot as hell. And I didn't stop there either. I just kept running because my legs felt great. No pain anywhere for the first time in years. Couldn't be happier and thought I would share. Shoes are made by Hoka one.

You can't beat good running shoes, for sure. Make sure you replace them once they start to wear out. And hey man, that's not a bad 5k time at all! Stick with it!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

+1 on Varsity Sports. Those guys know what's up. I also went to highschool with many of the younger guys that work there which is also a plus!

I have toned down my running considerably and am now running the LSU lakes twice a week. I have also picked racquetball, tennis, and boxing as a two times a week sport just to get something different in. I will be starting Crossfit on Thursday.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Man those things remind me of Herman Munster shoes lol but they are great shoes. My wife has a pair and loves them. If you can get past the looks they are great comfort wise

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    +1 on Varsity Sports. Those guys know what's up. I also went to highschool with many of the younger guys that work there which is also a plus!

I have toned down my running considerably and am now running the LSU lakes twice a week. I have also picked racquetball, tennis, and boxing as a two times a week sport just to get something different in. I will be starting Crossfit on Thursday.

You may know this. How long is Kleinhart Ave. from Perkins to Parker st?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    That's funny. We ran that every day for Highschool. It's about 9/10 of a mile.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Thats why I asked. I knew you went to catholic and I see those kids all the time running around here. I want to do some 1 mile sprints and figured that would be a good street. 9/10 is close enough.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thats why I asked. I knew you went to catholic and I see those kids all the time running around here. I want to do some 1 mile sprints and figured that would be a good street. 9/10 is close enough.

How'd you know I went to Catholic?? Haha! Yeah if you run from Parker to the park on Perkins it's right at a mile. Parker to Perkins is just shy. A good sprint is to go from St. Rose to Perkins. There and back should be about half a mile if I remember correctly.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Either read it here somewhere are you told me when you sold that marlin rifle.

Or maybe I have a thing for forum mods and I'm stalking you.........

Probably the latter. If you live around Catholic and ever want a running buddy, lmk. I have been running the LSU lakes on Sundays lately. I wouldn't mind doing the ole bears run again.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Any updates on fitness stuff guys?

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Sure. I'm in the gym 6 days a week. I'm from not even being able to run a mile from my back to a 11-12 minute mile. (I don't get gassed, my lower back gets in a knot so I slow down, but surgery was just in July)
    I can ride a 24 minute 5-mile on my mtn bike.

I'm down from 267lbs to 214. I had made it down to 205 but I started lifting again.

I feel great and I never skip leg day :) haha

Top Bottom