First time shooter training?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    New Orleans
    I'm looking for a training, reasonably priced, for (a woman) who has never shot a gun before. Most CHP classes have everything she would need to know about firearm safety, personal defense, loading/unloading, but most mention they are for someone who has used a gun before. She has no firearms experience at all.

She will be purchasing her first pistol soon as well.

Can anyone recommend any range/place that provides classes like this?
    Any area is fine.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I think Annie Oakleaf advertises training for women. Or you can help her learn the basics of firearms safety before she makes it out to training. Also you can let her try a bunch of pistols to help her decide what she wants. B/c i know my wife wanted a little gun, till she shot my LCP and Pf-9, then she realized she likes the lighter recoil of a larger gun.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    VataGroup out of Slidell/covington has a Women's only class on June 7. I've had good personal experiences with them. VataGroup dot net, for schedule and contact info.

Plus the above advice of trying before you buy as much as possible. Small guns are cute, but aren't alway the best fit. Spend some time on each gun you can get a hold of to find issues like hot spots (irritation caused by grip shape or mag release placement, etc...) before dropping the cash. Had a friend purchase a semi-auto compact for his wife only to find out after that the mag pinches her hand when firing, she sucks it up, but a little more time trying things out would likely have found something that was better suited for her.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    We run a monthly Introduction to Home Defense Handguns course that is usually about 80% female. We are starting off with the very basics and shoot about 200 rounds. The student cap is 8 or less depending on experience levels coming in. The next one coming up is May 4th. More information and reviews available on our website. http://bearcotraining.com/courses/intro-to-home-defense-handguns/

Topics Covered:
    Gun Safety
    Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
    Overview of defensive handgun types and which ones are best for personal defense
    Fundamental Home Defense Tactics
    Responsible Defensive Firearms Storage
    Dealing with Law Enforcement Response and calling 911
    *Home Defense* shooting situation

Edit: we also run a reality based force-on-force extension to this course at our non-lethal shoot house. Role players are brought in to run students through a couple home invasion scenarios.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If you're in New Orleans the Saint Bernard Rifle and Pistol club does whole "ladies only" afternoon. Where are you located?

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    +1 for Advantage Group. Great instructor. She will learn a lot.

Also check out Phobos Solutions.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

Phobos Sol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Greater NOLA
    Phobos Solutions will be hosting an Introduction to Basic Handgun course on May 3, 2014. This course has been specifically designed to PROPERLY teach the fundamentals in order to mazimize the potential of success. Phobos Solutions offer the ability to bring numerous different firearms of multiple make model and design to allow the student to try several before settling on one and spending their hard earned money.

All Phobos Solutions instructors are certified to teach thru numerous certifying bodies many of which are far above the requirements for a NRA instructor certification. If you are interested refer to our website www.phobossolutions.com. We specialize in helping new shooters establish solid fundamentals thru the use of proper and proven instruction techniques.

For more information on this course please email us info@phobossolutions.com.

rboyd314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Went to Precision Firearms to set up basic handgun course set up for my daughter. The guy there said someone would call me to set it up. Three weeks later, no call. A friend had the same thing happen to her. Is there anyone else in Baton Rouge who does a basic handgun course?

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Went to Precision Firearms to set up basic handgun course set up for my daughter. The guy there said someone would call me to set it up. Three weeks later, no call. A friend had the same thing happen to her. Is there anyone else in Baton Rouge who does a basic handgun course?

I highly recommend the ladies only class that Advantage Group puts on.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    A little OT, but great idea on getting some training for a new shooter. I wish I had taken a couple of classes years ago, I have picked up a few bad habits over the years I am working on.

Top Bottom