Turkey Hunting (Pictures, Reports)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Alright guys,

Turkey season is here, so I figured I would start a thread for pictures/reports on your season.

6ujege4u.jpg

Picture of my brother with a turkey he got yesterday up in Tupelo, MS. He is definitely the hunter in the family.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    never been turkey hunting. in fact, its the only "traditional" hunting season I've never participated in.

I hear you have to be drunk to clean them, and that its a half-day task.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Here is a good one I got last season with my bow. First one and that was fun and challenging.

Not too hard to clean once you've got the basics down. Start on something easier like a hog maybe.

I'm sure you brother wouldn't mind showing you if you don't get squeamish.
    by5ejape.jpg

Last edited:

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Here is a good one I got last season with my bow. First one and that was fun and challenging.

Not too hard to clean once you've got the basics down. Start on something easier like a hog maybe.

by5ejape.jpg

Nice bird!

I don't get squeamish. Cleaned plenty of wildlife. Just never killed a turkey, so I never had to clean one. Yet.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    never been turkey hunting. in fact, its the only "traditional" hunting season I've never participated in.

I hear you have to be drunk to clean them, and that its a half-day task.

Cleaning takes only a few minutes, most people skin and remove the breast, legs and thighs and throw the rest. No need for plucking.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Season ends this Sunday in my area of St. Tammany. We have some of the smartest game in the country! I see turkey, deer, dove, squirrel, and rabbit at the camp ONLY when we cant hunt them. I think these creatures must have a copy of the Louisiana hunting regulations and calendar! Come Monday, Ill be seeing turkey run across the road and gas lines. :mad:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

by5ejape.jpg

That's quite an accomplishment, right there. :cheers:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    That's quite an accomplishment, right there. :cheers:

Thanks man. I love bow hunting or shooting bows in general. I don't have that Fred bear anymore. Now I shoot a PSE brute-x with the skullworks design. 27-1/2" draw 68.7 lbs 323 FPS is what I'm shooting with 100gr ram cats and carbon pile driver arrows (350's)

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I'm gonna bump this thread back up and hope some more join in. I love turkey season. I'm back in Texas until Wednesday so in the blind I will be. My dad bagged one this morning 10 minutes ago. Head shot with the .17hmr. Here is my setup and view. Get on of the blind when I get out.
    First pic is just the table for rifle pictures and stuff with all the skulls
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397909537.822633.jpg
    24.5yd group
    dytyqa9a.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397909474.690330.jpg
    20yds to feeder
    Last year took a bird at this blind on the backside of the trees at 31yds.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397909608.505887.jpg

No turkey this morning and I missed a blaze faced squirrel at 25yds. He moved before the arrow got to him.
    unejubu2.jpg

7usuhy7y.jpg

Dad and his turkey from this morning
    After walking to it found out it was a beared hen and not a jake/Tom. Also found out he brought the 12ga instead of the .17.
    9ezeme2u.jpg

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I almost hit three turkeys with a Polaris last weekend in Mississippi. I had never seen a turkey get above 20 feet off above the ground, but these birds took off like effing hawks!

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Made my only hunt of the year on the last day of the season this morning and had a hen come out. Watched her for about 45 min. No gobbler ever showed up. It was a nice morning to be in the woods. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398001690.843198.jpg

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Made my only hunt of the year on the last day of the season this morning and had a hen come out. Watched her for about 45 min. No gobbler ever showed up. It was a nice morning to be in the woods. View attachment 48954

Yes it is. Overcast here in Texas. Slight drizzle off and on. I have heard several gobblers and called in a pair of hens... Can't get the gobblers in. Don't know what's up. The seem to be staying tucked in the cedars right now.
    nuraza2y.jpg

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I grew up Turkey hunting as a kid in Pennsylvania. Hunted all over the Eastern part of that state. I've been dying to try Louisiana but it's been tough getting started. Where are the more promising regions in Louisiana? Are farmers agreeable to public hunting if you ask permission?

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Yeah, I miss the turkey woods of north Florida; big, fat gobblers running all over the place. Since I've been in LA, I've only seen ONE turkey and it was a hen. The lack of plentiful, public hunting lands in the SE portion of Louisiana doesn't help matters any...

Top Bottom