Concealed carry in purse for wife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ok ladies and gents, need some advice!!! My wife and I had or third son, and last child that is, about 5 weeks ago, she is ready to start concealed carrying!!!! She doesn't wanna sacarafice here wardrobe just yet, with that being said we are looking into a concealed carry purse, we have went through the diff rules of maintaining the purse on her at all times, and the diff kind of safety aspects... So is there a place locally where she can see them first and try them out, they are pretty costly and she doesn't want one that isn't in fashion or doesn't fit right lol!!! Or can anybody advise me on where to look for a good one? Thanks for all your help

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My wife uses the Gun Toten Mamas purse.
    I think it's a hobo handbag in dark brown and I ordered a longer shoulder strap.
    Cabelas was the only place that had several in stock.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I could not find an attractive concealed carry specific purse.

When my wardrobe doesn't allow hip carry (which is rare), it's holstered in a pocket in my actual purse.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Holstered in a dedicated pocket inside the purse of her choosing is how I got mine to carry. In fact she has a holster for each of her purses, just has to swap contents including firearm.

My lady won't carry on the hip, ankle, or in an ugly purse. I'd rather her carry, so this was our compromise. Shes carrying a concealed hammer .38 revolver, selected because she doesn't know how to clear a jam in an automatic and the hammer won't hangup if she needs to yank it quickly.

I'd also advise purchasing a $5.00 purse at walmart, (or using an old torn one) and either teaching her or finding someone to teach her how to fire through the purse- with the firearm still inside. Very effective use for the ladies.

FYI the hardest part of this is changing your ladies purse habits. ie: leaving it on the floor in the dressing room while she goes to grab a different size, leaving it in the passenger seat while shes at the gym, or leaving it on the floor at home (if you have kids)

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I don't think firing through the purse is an effective tactic for anyone. It's very difficult to tell where the muzzle is pointed under stress. Not to mention there is a nearly unlited amount of stuff in a purse to bind up a cylinder. Why not teach her how to clear a jam in an automatic?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't think firing through the purse is an effective tactic for anyone. It's very difficult to tell where the muzzle is pointed under stress. Not to mention there is a nearly unlited amount of stuff in a purse to bind up a cylinder. Why not teach her how to clear a jam in an automatic?

oh i disagree. it conveniently mitigates the draw time when you can just pull the trigger, assuming its a very up-close and personal situation. Obviously i'd recommend drawing for sight picture if afforded the opportunity. Additionally, ladies can have their hand on the firearm ready to draw a little less conspicuously than we can. It's not my preference, but it does have some arguable advantages.

she fired the autos and the revolvers- she favored the concealed hammer .38, and it was more comfortable for her. she also carries small purses- so a big gun was an automatic "no". It's what works for her, so I don't argue it. however, she DID express interest in shooting the nightstand g19 the other day, so things may change.

fwiw she loves shooting the big guns, but frowns if i even ask her to put sunglasses in that purse. it wasn't going to happen, so I picked my battles and was happy to get her carrying.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Purse Fire briefs well but fails miserably in real life. She may not be able to get a sight picture but I bet she can almost always draw to the retention position from which she can shoot, protect herself from Getting battered, and fend to maintain space. From inside the purse she can't see or reference the gun, it ties up a hand, it has a much higher probability of jamming the gun, and she is now physically strapped to the end of the long lever. Looks neat on the youtubes, probably works ok in a controlled environment, becomes a grease fire under stress or when in an entanglement.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe

It should be an emergency shot, where they do not have time to draw. Kinda like shooting close range before you join hands in the draw. My understanding is that you point the muzzle to the threat, and pull the purse away from the gun, but you can fire at any time, with an auto, you will most likely get a jam. It ain't pretty, but, you fight with what you have.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Purse Fire briefs well but fails miserably in real life. She may not be able to get a sight picture but I bet she can almost always draw to the retention position from which she can shoot, protect herself from Getting battered, and fend to maintain space. From inside the purse she can't see or reference the gun, it ties up a hand, it has a much higher probability of jamming the gun, and she is now physically strapped to the end of the long lever. Looks neat on the youtubes, probably works ok in a controlled environment, becomes a grease fire under stress or when in an entanglement.

hmm. fantastic points VG, I honestly wouldn't have considered that. I now picture a hand in a flailing purse with the muzzle darting around dangerously.

on paper though... it looked fantastic. appreciate the tip.

@Fred- yeah I've done it a few times at the range and as VG acknowledged, it works great against an unsuspecting silhouette. I think the hidden advice there is "if they are so close that you can't afford the extra second, they were too close."

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So we all agree a purse shot is a bad idea under any but the most extreme circumstances. So why base gun selection around that capability? Why choose a gun inferior in every other way just because it can maybe shoot through a purse okay?

And yes, situational awareness is key. If our women are in a situation where they don't even have time to get their gun out of the purse, they've already lost the fight and no trick shots are gonna help them anyway.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    "if they are so close that you can't afford the extra second, they were too close."
    Amen, but we can't foresee every situation. I would rather have my wife have a gun in her purse than no gun. A nice holstered gun would be the ideal. But...

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    And yes, situational awareness is key. If our women are in a situation where they don't even have time to get their gun out of the purse, they've already lost the fight and no trick shots are gonna help them anyway.

This is when they shoot through the purse... Maybe they lost some tactical advantage, but not out of the fight yet. Don't get me wrong, not ideal, but better than nothing.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This is when they shoot through the purse... Maybe they lost some tactical advantage, but not out of the fight yet. Don't get me wrong, not ideal, but better than nothing.

So you'd rather plan around the 1% than have the best tool for the other 99%? Personally I'd rather train away the 1%.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I think his point mirrored my initial one: if the choices are the purse or an unarmed lady, the purse wins by default.

So, to develop this point: how DO women carry during summertime?? I mean guns and dresses only mix in bond movies

paging red?

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    So you'd rather plan around the 1% than have the best tool for the other 99%? Personally I'd rather train away the 1%.

No, I would prefer a holster, but many women want to keep a gun in the purse. It is in no way the ideal in my opinion. I see purse carry as seriously problematic. But, I also see it going on for a long time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom