Marijuana possession shouldn't carry a 20-year prison term: Editorial-- TP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2014/04/possession_of_marijuana_should.html

Someone caught in Louisiana for the second time with a small amount of marijuana faces up to five years in jail and the possibility of hard labor. On a third or subsequent offense, the sentence can be 20 years with hard labor. These sorts of harsh penalties for marijuana possession and other non-violent crimes are one reason the state has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

There's a simple change that could make a significant difference.

Senate Bill 323 by Sens. J.P. Morrell and Robert Adley would make the penalty for possession of marijuana a fine of up to $100 and six months in jail on all offenses. The legislation would eliminate the enhanced penalties in current law for second and subsequent pot possession convictions.

That is a sensible reform the coalition behind the Smart on Crime legislative agenda says would save the state "millions of dollars in supervision and incarceration costs." It also would bring tremendous relief to thousands of families across Louisiana.

A Smart on Crime briefing paper notes that the legislation "would not affect possession of larger quantities, possession with intent, cultivation, or distribution."

The Senate's Judiciary C Committee is expected to consider the bill next week, and it ought to be an easy call for legislators.

The groups pushing the Smart on Crime reforms are a mix of business, religious and civic leaders, including Blueprint Louisiana, the Pelican Institute and Right on Crime, a project of the Texas Public Policy Foundation. They emphasize the cost to families and to the state's economy by the absence of so many people from Louisiana's work force.

Mainly because of mandatory minimum sentences, the state's prison population doubled over the past 20 years to 40,000, according to Blueprint Louisiana, a statewide citizen group focused on reforms in criminal justice, education, health care and other issues. "Only 37 percent of offenders in Louisiana have been convicted of violent crimes ... and the average sentence for a drug-related crime is almost 10 years," according to the group.

The Pelican Institute points out that Louisiana is out of step, even with conservative states like Texas and Georgia, which have moved away from prison terms for nonviolent offenders to emphasize rehabilitation.

Texas was paying $3 billion a year on prisons and facing the prospect of spending $2 billion more to build new ones when officials decided to invest $241 million in treatment and diversion programs. The state reduced sanctions for people who violated probation or parole, who had accounted for two-thirds of prison admissions, and gave judges more discretion. Incarceration rates, recidivism and the crime rate are down.

Louisiana's Legislature has approved modest sentencing reforms in the past couple of years, including a change in law to allow prosecutors and some defendants to enter into plea agreements for sentences below mandatory minimums. Another change allowed second-time offenders who are model prisoners to be eligible for parole after serving a third of their sentences instead of 50 percent.

But state laws on nonviolent offenses are still draconian.

Louisiana consistently ranks No. 1 for the percentage of residents who are locked up. One in every 86 adults in the state is serving time, which is more than twice the national average. And our nation incarcerates more people than any other country in the world.

Having that many people in prison devours state resources that could be used for education or health care or other vital services in Louisiana. And it unnecessarily breaks apart families and, in many cases, leaves them vulnerable financially.

Violent offenders ought to be in prison. But some offenders who are serving life sentences in Louisiana have never been convicted of a violent crime. That makes no sense. It would be better for the state and for thousands of families if nonviolent offenders get a chance to be rehabilitated and can avoid jail.

Senate Bill 323 is an important step toward that goal and lawmakers ought to approve it. The Judiciary Committee can start that process next week.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Thanks for posting about this, at least it's a step in the right direction. I'll make sure to contact my reps and judiciary committee.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Or people could learn their lesson and quit breaking the law. Seems like an easier option.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Or people could learn their lesson and quit breaking the law. Seems like an easier option.

Six months in jail for the second conviction seems much more appropriate to me and should be just as affective as far as "teaching lessons" is concerned.

Why should Louisiana tax payers waste tax dollars incarcerating non-violent offenders whose only crime is marijuana possession ?

In my opinion...wasting money locking up someone for 5 years over marijuana is just plain stupid, wasteful and counterproductive. And FWIW...if the person is behind the wheel while under the influence...then the judge can tack on penalties.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Or lawmakers can stop making ******** laws and let grown adults make their own personal life choices. That's even easier.

Are you ever going to make a valid point versus silly comments about not having laws?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Six months in jail for the second conviction seems much more appropriate to me and should be just as affective as far as "teaching lessons" is concerned.

Why should Louisiana tax payers waste tax dollars incarcerating non-violent offenders whose only crime is marijuana possession ?

In my opinion...wasting money locking up someone for 5 years over marijuana is just plain stupid, wasteful and counterproductive. And FWIW...if the person is behind the wheel while under the influence...then the judge can tack on penalties.

I would like to see an accurate study on how many people actually do that amount of time. I could list my first hand experience but who wants to hear that.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    http://norml.org/data/item/louisiana-marijuana-possession?category_id=862

Above is the number of arrests...
    I can't find the number who are actually incarcerated for only marijuana in La...can't find the article.....But from memory...I think its close to 2000 people were doing time for ONLY marijuana possession in 2009.

The number of people that actually do time vs the number of people that get arrested is VERY low from my experience. I would bet that the ones that do time have a lengthy criminal background and all of that was taken into consideration.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The number of people that actually do time vs the number of people that get arrested is VERY low from my experience. I would bet that the ones that do time have a lengthy criminal background and all of that was taken into consideration.

Well...Yea...I'm sure almost all of them have priors. But just because they have a prior...does not equate to deserving time if their only infraction is a roach in the ashtray. I'm sorry...but when we talk about crime and punishment...the established logic tends to get circular IMO.

If he was bad before...and has been released...but now has weed...DOES not always equate to now deserving to be locked up IMO.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA

Some people can't. A close family member got addicted to drugs. I don't know whatever made him try or start doing drugs (Yes that action is still against the law and a stupid choice) but once that monkey got on his back he couldn't seem to quit going back. While he was sober he said he was wore down and "sick and tired of being sick and tired" and he wanted nothing more to do with it, then something would happen and pull him back in. The whole family took steps to try and get him to quit (intervention, tough love, it even went as far as me and another brother finding his "dealer"- he just found another one.) but he kept sliding. Before I saw someone I loved going through this I always thought that it was the addict just telling you what you want to hear. But this was my brother- I could tell that he really wanted out. My parents tried calling the police in and searching his room to get him arrested. The police couldn't find anything and they told my parents that they couldn't take him into custody unless there was a law being broken (keep in mind this was in MN and 20-some years ago). All that caused him to do was move out and go further down the spiral. Finally the best thing happened. He OD'd. He didn't die, but it was REAL scary there for a minute. When they brought him into the hospital he had some meth on him which was enough to send him in front of a judge. He was sentenced to 60 days in jail and 6 months in-patient rehab (in-house). The jailers and counselors said he went through pretty rough withdrawals. After all was said and done he had one relapse and checked himself back in. All in all I say it is a pretty good program because I have seen it work first hand. I know that this convo is referring mainly to marijuana, but I believe that it is a gateway drug and my brother will tell you it is. Granted if he would've never broke the law in the first place he would have never been in that position, but once you're there- addiction is a bitch. I think the rehab system and that judge saved my brothers life. My family and I still thank them every chance we get.

EDIT: He was never arrested for anything before and was pretty cautious I guess so he never got arrested with anything on him prior to this. My parents talked to the judge and the DA prior to the trial and told them the situation. This was his first criminal offense.

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm glad your brother got off drugs, but, mj is WAY different than meth!!
    Serous question, can alcohol be a gate way drug (say to mj) or does it have to be illegal first to be a gate way drug?

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Serous question, can alcohol be a gate way drug (say to mj) or does it have to be illegal first to be a gate way drug?

I understand that marijuana is very different then meth, but MJ is where he started. My answer to your other question is I do believe alcohol could be a gateway drug. Anything that lowers your inhibitions to make you say "awe screw it that looks like fun. Let me try it!" is a gateway drug in my opinion. That's where the company you keep comes into play. I don't want to hang with potheads methheads etc. so I would never be exposed to that. But that's just my opinion.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

Alcohol can be a gateway drug. So can pot, whip-cream hits, gasoline, or Nyquil for that matter. I feel a lot of it boils down to personality when it comes down to pot, as it can't be proven physically addictive like alcohol, nicotine, heroin, cocaine, ect. I seriously question if pot would be the gateway drug it is today if it was legal, as you would not be put in the environment obtaining it that gives you access to cocaine, meth, heroin, ect. While alcohol is a physically addictive drug, it's not considered a common gateway drug, as habitual alcohol users are statistically less likely to move in to harder drugs, although you can argue that most users of harder drugs also use alcohol. Personally, I don't think pot would be anymore of a gateway drug than alcohol if it was legally obtainable like alcohol.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The biggest reason marijuana has a reputation for being a gateway drug is that it is illegal...so once a teenager gets introduced to that underworld of dealers...They then have the "connection."

Eventually...one will be introduced to a dealer who just so happens to also have some heroin today. And the sly dealer says here....Its on me...my treat. Or....when looking for weed....the dealer will say. no...I'm out of weed...but have some oxycontin. So in a way...yes...Its a gateway drug only because one gets introduced to the drug underworld.

As far as true gateway drug from an addiction perspective....well that is alcohol. Everyone I have ever known started drinking beer in high school.

Top Bottom