Brass shortage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    I'm having trouble finding 7mm-08 brass..........anyone know of an internet site that has this type brass? I'm aware that I can resize 308 ammo to 7mm-08 but I really would like to find the correct cases. (since I have 308 rifles and 7mm-08 rifles)

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Cabelas has Nosler in stock.

3uve4ysu.jpg

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    Hey Mickey: I checked out the Cabelas site but it really is crazy to see the prices for "un-loaded" brass nearly as high as loaded ammo. I can't prove it but I feel our Govt.
    has something to do with the sudden shortage of reloading components. If they can't take our guns...the next best option would be to remove the ammo. Why else would there be such a shortage of powders, brass, bullets and primers? Just my opinion.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    Mr. Swamprat2: I'm not real sure where Denham Springs is located.....but it doesn't sound very close to Jacksonville Florida. Thanks for your reply though.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Hey Mickey: I checked out the Cabelas site but it really is crazy to see the prices for "un-loaded" brass nearly as high as loaded ammo. I can't prove it but I feel our Govt.
    has something to do with the sudden shortage of reloading components. If they can't take our guns...the next best option would be to remove the ammo. Why else would there be such a shortage of powders, brass, bullets and primers? Just my opinion.

There is a shortage because everyone is still buying up everything that hits the shelves.
    Supply vs. demand. I have to say, it seems to be getting just a bit easier to find reloading components than it was 6-8 months ago.
    As for the price, I have never seen Nosler brass that has been "cheap". I am used to paying $1 per piece of Lapua brass for .260 and recently 6.5x47 Lapua for a new build that I plan on getting put together. I get plenty of firings off of it to justify the cost. Matter of fact, 150 pieces of lapua brass in my .260 will last the life of the barrel.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    micky: How does your 260 compare with the 7mm-08? I've never shot one but it sounds like the 260 is based on the 30-06 case, such as the 270 was. If it is I can see why many
    shooters like it. I've been shooting my 30-06 ( I have 3 ) and loading for it for 30 years as well as my 25-06 . If that Lupua brass last the way you described, then they are well worth what you paid for it. I load fairly "hot" loads so they don't seem to get the type life span you mentioned. They are not Max Loads but they are still fairly strong. But what you said about people buying up components as soon as they are placed on the shelves. It took me a full year to finally built up my stash of 22's. I didn't see it coming when it
    dawned on me that there was a shortage already. Well thanks for your reply on my post.....have fun shooting my friend.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    micky: How does your 260 compare with the 7mm-08? I've never shot one but it sounds like the 260 is based on the 30-06 case, such as the 270 was. If it is I can see why many
    shooters like it. I've been shooting my 30-06 ( I have 3 ) and loading for it for 30 years as well as my 25-06 . If that Lupua brass last the way you described, then they are well worth what you paid for it. I load fairly "hot" loads so they don't seem to get the type life span you mentioned. They are not Max Loads but they are still fairly strong.

.260 is the .308 necked down to 6.5mm.
    43gr of h4350 with a 139gr scenar is my load. Think that is 1 grain over the Hodgdon "max" load, but safe in my rifle.
    I'll get 13+ firings out of my brass before the primer pockets leak with Russian primers.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    mickey: Guess that explains the reason for 308 cases being "not as available" as they used to be. I have 3 or 4 hundred Mil 308 brass cases but as you already know, they can't be loaded quite the same as Civilian cases. Happy shooting Bud.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    Gator45/70: Is your handle derived from the type weapon you prefer? I've always wanted to own one of those, maybe in a replica Sharps. I don't think you could still eat a deer if you shot it in the front shoulder!#@. If you happen to find
    some of those 7mm-08 cases, drop me a line at druliaj@bellsouth.net. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk "trade" on this forum. If there is a moderator reading these posts and knows the answer to this question, please be so kind as to let me know
    before I make a stupid mistake (even in ignorance ). Thanks for your interests in my brass problem Gator45/70.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    No, no I use the 45/70 on bears and hogs nothing more, On this forum you have to go private by p.m. or e-mail, I did find a few pieces that your looking for, Stand-by e-mail incoming.

Gator45/70: Is your handle derived from the type weapon you prefer? I've always wanted to own one of those, maybe in a replica Sharps. I don't think you could still eat a deer if you shot it in the front shoulder!#@. If you happen to find
    some of those 7mm-08 cases, drop me a line at druliaj@bellsouth.net. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk "trade" on this forum. If there is a moderator reading these posts and knows the answer to this question, please be so kind as to let me know
    before I make a stupid mistake (even in ignorance ). Thanks for your interests in my brass problem Gator45/70.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    Hey micky: I was going through a mixed bag of brass I found at a range yesterday and was sorting out the 308 shells. I came across what appeared to be a 308 but was surprised to see "260" on it's base. I remembered you telling me the 260 was derived from the 308 case. What struck me was how close in similarity these two cartridges are
    in size.There's almost no difference in size. So that leads me to wonder what advantage the 260 has over the 308.I haven't checked the load charts but I would suspect the difference would be simply velocity, flatter shooting and bullet diameter.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Bullet diameter is the only difference between the 243, 260, 7/08, 308, 338 Federal, and 358. The 260's big advantage over the 308 are the better high BC bullets available in 6.5mm. As distances stretch they fly flatter and buck the wind better. Plus recoil less.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    One other thing I discovered today at Gander Mtn about the 260...........the price tag for 20 loaded shells is about $39! I would assume you 260 folks "roll" your own shells
    at least I would. But I will admit....the cartridge is pretty impressive.

Top Bottom