Thermal Imaging Scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I bought an AK47 strictly for protection. I estimate the target to be very short range: around 20 – 40 yards. If I were forced to protect my family, night time conditions will come into play, so I want a scope that will handle this. I’m seriously leaning toward a thermal imaging scope vs. a NV. Here’s the issue: Other than what I researched on the Internet I know nothing about thermal scopes and they’re too darn expensive to buy one I won’t be pleased with.

I do not want to pay additional money for one offering video recording if there is such a thing. I do want one that can be used in both daytime and nighttime conditions and because the target range will be so close I think anything over 1x – 1.5x magnification would be too strong. If possible I would like to pay in the $4,000 range, but am open to $6,000 - $7,000 if necessary to get what I want with high quality. I’m not concerned about low battery life because I would keep a bunch of them on hand. Here are some questions:

Is there a difference between a sight and a scope?

What do I look for in a good thermal imaging scope?

Are there thermal imaging scopes that work well in sunlight and dark (night) conditions?

Would I be better off buying a red dot scope for daylight conditions and a thermal scope for nighttime? Quick release scopes, of course.

Are they durable or will I need to replace a part or parts over time? Keep in mind that the ONLY time I would use it would be IF the need would arise to protect my family at night. I do not hunt and have no hog problems.

And please offer suggestions as to what scope you would recommend.

Thanks.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why not a red dot (Aimpoint, EOTech etc.) and a white light (Surefire, Streamlight)?

I concur. Relying upon a scope to defend yourself at night is just not a good idea. Things break. A good sturdy flashlight or a mounted weapon light plus being a decent shot will do much more good than a scope. If you just want a cool toy to play with, that is one thing, but a light will be much better at night over a thermal scope. Also, if you pose the argument that a light will give away your position or something light that, I argue that at 20-40 yards even in complete darkness you should still be able to see the (insert noun) that you are protecting yourself from. If not, you probably shouldn't be just 'blindly' shooting said noun.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I would get a red dot (Aimpoint or Eotech). And a nice flashlight (Surefire or Streamlight) that has a quality mount. For mounts, check out the Fusion mount system from Unity Tactical or light mounts from VTAC.

If you really want thermal, look at FLIR. They have really nice scopes at great prices.

Contact Chris at Interstate Guns in Hammond. He can help you more with any questions about these products.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I bought an AK47 strictly for protection. I estimate the target to be very short range: around 20 – 40 yards. If I were forced to protect my family, night time conditions will come into play, so I want a scope that will handle this. I’m seriously leaning toward a thermal imaging scope vs. a NV. Here’s the issue: Other than what I researched on the Internet I know nothing about thermal scopes and they’re too darn expensive to buy one I won’t be pleased with.

I do not want to pay additional money for one offering video recording if there is such a thing. I do want one that can be used in both daytime and nighttime conditions and because the target range will be so close I think anything over 1x – 1.5x magnification would be too strong. If possible I would like to pay in the $4,000 range, but am open to $6,000 - $7,000 if necessary to get what I want with high quality. I’m not concerned about low battery life because I would keep a bunch of them on hand. Here are some questions:

Is there a difference between a sight and a scope?

What do I look for in a good thermal imaging scope?

Are there thermal imaging scopes that work well in sunlight and dark (night) conditions?

Would I be better off buying a red dot scope for daylight conditions and a thermal scope for nighttime? Quick release scopes, of course.

Are they durable or will I need to replace a part or parts over time? Keep in mind that the ONLY time I would use it would be IF the need would arise to protect my family at night. I do not hunt and have no hog problems.

And please offer suggestions as to what scope you would recommend.

Thanks.

I would come by and check out the FLIR RS units that we got in. The RS24 would be right up your alley.

To answer some of your questions, thermal works in conditions that NV does not. You need no ambiant (sp?) light for thermal to work. It sees through fog and smoke. It will see through tree lines. A lot of time you can even track with it depending on how long the subject being tracked passed through the area. The RS units are made to mount onto rifles and are plenty durable to stick on an AK.

Last edited:

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I spent about an hour at InterstateGuns yesterday. Not only do those people know their business, they couldn't be more helpful and nice. But I wasn't considering a thermal scope at the time. I have an AirPoint Pro mounted on my gun now. With the thermal I could shoot and move and not be seen, unless someone had a thermal pointed at me, which in such a crowd would be unlikely. But with a flashlight they could just aim at it. Am I missing something?

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I spent about an hour at InterstateGuns yesterday. Not only do those people know their business, they couldn't be more helpful and nice. But I wasn't considering a thermal scope at the time. I have an AirPoint Pro mounted on my gun now. With the thermal I could shoot and move and not be seen, unless someone had a thermal pointed at me, which in such a crowd would be unlikely. But with a flashlight they could just aim at it. Am I missing something?

You don't use the light all the time.

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you are worried about protecting your family I would imagine you could differentiate between them and an intruder in the dark more quickly using white light vs. thermal signature.

Last edited:

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    As a lot of other folk have said, if your goal is home defense then you'd be better served with a RDS and weapon light and the training to be able to use the system effectively. A thermal sight on a defensive weapon will not give you the positive ID you'd need to confidently engage someone inside your home/on your property and you'd be more than like to shoot someone you wouldn't have intended to shoot.

Sent from iPhone. Inconsequential word may have been left to die on editing floor.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I would be concerned about the reaction of the DA's office &/or a jury if there was a defensive shooting using a thermal imaging scope for home defense.

Now for hog hunting (assuming its legal) that would be great.

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The other issue would be having to point your rifle at anything you are trying to ID through the thermal scope.

And the argument of being able to shoot and move without being seen unless the BG had a thermal isn't very good. All they would need is a flashlight.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I would echo the basic optic + white light opinion. If you want to step it up a notch, add an IR light and NV goggles to the equation.

Thermal is awesome but works best for a pretty narrow application, and self defense ain't it.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    Also a good high lumen weapon light is pretty blinding when it hits your eyes, especially at night. This can easily blind and distract said intruders.

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    OKAY, you've convinced me to go the flashlight route. Chris, I spoke with someone at your store today - I can never remember names, but I think he told me he spent about 6 years in the special forces. He said he would like to sell me a thermal scope to make more money, but that I should save my money and buy a flashlight. Heck! I ain't about to argue with you guys. You obviously know what you're talking about. It's just another example of why so many of us buy from your store. I very much appreciated his honesty.

MOTOR51 - There's practically no crime whatsoever in my neighborhood, but myself and MANY people I speak with believe the possibility exists that Obama might encourage urban uprisings all over the country. I could get into details of how he could more than likely accomplish this, but that's for another forum.

What I found interesting is that I spoke with 3 technical agents at 3 different online weapons stores, and when I told them the purpose for which I bought the AK, every one of them told me I'm not the only one, that there are loads of people buying assault weapons for fear of an uprising.

I appreciate everyone's advise......and the substantial amount of money you saved me.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    OKAY, you've convinced me to go the flashlight route. Chris, I spoke with someone at your store today - I can never remember names, but I think he told me he spent about 6 years in the special forces. He said he would like to sell me a thermal scope to make more money, but that I should save my money and buy a flashlight. Heck! I ain't about to argue with you guys. You obviously know what you're talking about. It's just another example of why so many of us buy from your store. I very much appreciated his honesty.

MOTOR51 - There's practically no crime whatsoever in my neighborhood, but myself and MANY people I speak with believe the possibility exists that Obama might encourage urban uprisings all over the country. I could get into details of how he could more than likely accomplish this, but that's for another forum.

What I found interesting is that I spoke with 3 technical agents at 3 different online weapons stores, and when I told them the purpose for which I bought the AK, every one of them told me I'm not the only one, that there are loads of people buying assault weapons for fear of an uprising.

I appreciate everyone's advise......and the substantial amount of money you saved me.

I think you have chosen wisely.

Top Bottom