Recommend me an AK 74

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    I'm jumping into the 74 world now from the 47...still own multiple ak 47 (AKM) rifles. But now I'm wanting to go ak 74...I want an arsenal because I love 107fr in 7.62x39 but they are to damn hard to find in the 5.45 pattern right now plus I want to keep it under 800 bucks...when I try to do my own research all that really pops up is polish tantals which are all out of stock, arsenals which are great but out of stock and a little high for me right now and Waffen Werks which are in stock but I'm scared to go that route because the reviews lately on them are not so good and claim that waffen werks quality control is sub par lately....

Am I missing something here? Are there any others I'm overlooking or worth taking a shot on? I'd love to hear all of your recommendations. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Wait. With cheap surplus 5.45 being recently banned from import, a LOT of guys will be dumping their 74s (already starting to see it happen). I think prices on the new rifles will drop as well due to a decrease in demand.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    That's crazy man the ammo still available is plentiful and still pretty cheap. The same as 7.62x39 from what I can tell

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's crazy man the ammo still available is plentiful and still pretty cheap. The same as 7.62x39 from what I can tell

Surplus 7N6 ammo is the reason most people own 5.45 rifles, it's that simple. The supply of it that's left is drying up quickly and already jumping up in price. By the summer it'll be a buyer's market when it comes to AK74s.

Either way if I was in the market I'd go for an Arsenal SGL31 or an original barrel kit build from a reputable builder.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    Original barrel kit build as in buy a kit buy a receiver and build it myself??? I don't have the tools or patience I don't think.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    Sgl 31 would be great just not wanting to spend 1200 on one...but then again what's the old saying buy once cry once

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Sgl 31 would be great just not wanting to spend 1200 on one...but then again what's the old saying buy once cry once

The fixed stock SGL31s are usually sub-$900.

By kit build I mean a rifle already built (the Waffen Works would be an example of this). With the key being built by a reputable builder. Waffen Works has been hit or miss over the years, and I much prefer rifles built with the original barrel. I've been out of the AK game a while, but for a loooong time the US made barrels just weren't up to par. Maybe that's changed recently.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Surplus 7N6 ammo is the reason most people own 5.45 rifles, it's that simple. The supply of it that's left is drying up quickly and already jumping up in price. By the summer it'll be a buyer's market when it comes to AK74s.

Yeah +1

Although there have always been 5.45 enthusiasts, the 74s only became as popular as they are today because of the comparative price disparity between 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

Now that the price difference is likely going away, there is less reason to love and likely less demand which will translate to lower prices.

USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    But they are not $1200, atlantic list them for $1065.

Ya this is true but after FFL and shipping it would be close...regardless I'm thinking I wanna stay under 800 if possible if not then I most likely will go with an arsenal

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Ya this is true but after FFL and shipping it would be close...regardless I'm thinking I wanna stay under 800 if possible if not then I most likely will go with an arsenal

One thing to remember is factory built guns will hold their value better than a kit built gun with a US made barrel.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Nothing wrong with an Arsenal either really. Hell, there's not really much wrong with an old WASR. There are exceptions to the rule such as possible canted sights, etc, but overall IMVHO an AK is an AK is an AK. Some have better finishes and look "purtier" but the design's inherent strengths and weaknesses usually has them all performing about the same. Become proficient with the platform and it's capabilities and they all start to shoot the same. Just don't baby your AK. It's ok to be rough with her. She's a dirty, dirty little whore and likes that sort of thing. YMMV.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    US made AK barrels suck.If you dont want to spend a lot but want a quality AK then get a Saiga and convert it to what you want.

Saigas have dried up now. As much as I hate to admit it, it's cheaper to buy one than convert a Saiga these days and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Izmash went through an upheaval and now Putin is acting like an ass so there is no telling what is going to happen to Russian imports. All I know is that they are hard to find and over priced when you do find them.

Top Bottom