Red dot co-witness absolute vs 1/3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I'm not new to the AR platform but I am new to a red dot on one. After reading at least a dozen different articles I can't figure out what configuration would be best to run.

My hesitation to use the 1/3 setup is it's going to create and even higher sight/bore. My usage would be for 5 -100 yards training and self defense scenarios.

For those of you that run a red dot on an AR do you prefer a 1/3 or absolute co-witness?

Does it just come down to personal preference, or is one really better than the other?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It more than likely is just like you figured, personal preference.
    I have 2 rifles configured like you mentioned. 2 red dot sights with a flip up in the rear, standard A-2 front. I prefer the absolute cowitness height for my dot. I'm a both eyes open shooter and fixate on the target downrange and not so much my sights. I really don't notice the ring or tube between my eyes and the target. But wait, I see a lot more references to the lower 1/3 cowitness height, so that must be correct and I must be wrong...
    I think the lower cowitness height just gives you a less obstructed view in the lense, idk, but you could try what I did. Go out and shoot both setups and see what feels more natural for you.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I prefer the higher mount, the tiny difference in height over bore makes no noticeable change in my experience. Try 'em both and see what you prefer. I use a 16", standard A2 front sight, flip rear, Eotech on a Larue mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom