Winchester 70 vs Browning X Bolt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsman11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Louisiana
    So I was about to buy a Remington 700 sps in .308 but now they got this big recall on the trigger and I was talking to a salesman in a gun store today and they said that they don't know when they are going to start selling them again. So due this I am starting to look at some other rifles and I've can't decide between the Winchester 70 or the Browning X bolt. Its going to be used for deer hunting and its ether going to be in .308 or 30-06. What are yall thoughts on these two rifles and what are some major differences between the two.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I was going to buy an X-Bolt until I did research and put a Tikka T3 .308 in my hands. Much smoother bold action, lighter and less expensive with a guaranteed 1" or less MOA at 100yds. Do your research. Tikka is made by Sako and uses the same bbl as their high end rifles.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    If it were me id go with the model 70 because im a Winchester fan,to me Browning rifles are overrated.

drack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Jacksonville Fla
    Sportsman11: I've owned a model 70 in 270cal since the late 90's and I also own a Browning in 25-06. I favor the Model 70. It's never failed except once due to neglect. I got caught in a rain/snow storm hunting in the Va. mountains. The problem occurred because I failed to remove all the moisture from the bolt mechanism. The firing pin would not strike with enough force to upset the primer. For sure both the Winchester and Browning rifles are top notch....I just prefer the Model 70 (not just because it's cheaper to buy ).

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If it were me id go with the model 70 because im a Winchester fan,to me Browning rifles are overrated.

I agree on the centerfire rifles. They look great. I would not buy a centerfire Browning based on what I have seen from some of their rifles.

I love some of their shotguns and rimfires though.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    So I was about to buy a Remington 700 sps in .308 but now they got this big recall on the trigger and I was talking to a salesman in a gun store today and they said that they don't know when they are going to start selling them again. So due this I am starting to look at some other rifles and I've can't decide between the Winchester 70 or the Browning X bolt. Its going to be used for deer hunting and its ether going to be in .308 or 30-06. What are yall thoughts on these two rifles and what are some major differences between the two.

I would also look at the Tikka as well. Great value to the buyer. Truer action, guaranteed accuracy, user adjustable trigger, great extractor/ejector system. We would love to see you in the store if you can make it to hammond. We've got both the Tikka as well as the Brownings in stock.

BTW Tikka is the sister company to Sako. Tikka uses a Sako barrel. Tikka builds the rifle themselves. Both are imported by Beretta. They also mold their own stocks as well.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I agree on the centerfire rifles. They look great. I would not buy a centerfire Browning based on what I have seen from some of their rifles.

I love some of their shotguns and rimfires though.

I agree some of their shotguns and rimfires are awesome especially older ones.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Honestly, rifles today are so much better today than yesteryear so you really can't go wrong. I'd define your predominant hunting environment: wet, dry, range, sitting, walking, scope, etc. For example, if I were stalking deer several miles a day in inclement weather and 90% of my shots were within 200 yards I'd choose a lighter, composite stock rifle. On the other end of the scale, if mostly hunting from a tree stand and shooting >200 yards I'd choose a heavier rifle with a much better trigger. Define your predominant hunting environment and your rifle options will become clear. I would even open the aperture to Savage and Ruger.

Lone Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have several Browning rifles Bars and BLRs, but no x-bolts. I have 2 model 70s. They are the new ones made in South Carolina. They very well made and excellent shooters. They are great rifles. I love my Brownings, as I said I own no x-bolts. I would also take a hard look at CZ bolt actions. I have some CZ 550's and they are my most accurate rifles. I understand CZ is discontinuing their 550s and replacing them with their model 557. This only applies to their standard calibers as their dangerous game guns will continue to use their 550 actions since they are controlled round feed while the 557 is push feed. However there are plenty of 550's on gunbroker in standard calibers such as 30-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom