Mosin vs Modern hunting rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I was thinking of replacing my stolen SKS and my stolen .30-06 with a Mosin Nagant, two birds with one stone. Idea being it is cheap, and cheap to shoot, interesting in its own right as a piece of history and a military gun. My opportunities to hunt and shoot are fewer than they once were so I'm trying to scale back but still cover all the bases.

I even ordered a Mosin from Classic Firearms, but got cold feet and canceled the order. I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward a modern rifle being a better fit for me, maybe in a .308.

In short, I think the $100 price tag is an illusion... shipping, transfer, elbow grease, refinishing supplies... As a hunting gun it's not an ideal platform for a scope if I wanted one; and it is long and heavy, with lots of recoil.

A modern bolt gun with synthetic stock and a scope can be had for $300 new. But how much might one cost in a pawn shop, in cosmetic condition akin to a surplus Mosin?

If I expected to have a lot of time at the range, the ammo cost savings could be huge with a Mosin. But I really don't. And if I did, it might be more attractive to shoot something with lighter recoil; and I'd not be as sensitive to the purchase price of the gun itself.

The Mosin seems like the sort of gun that one might really enjoy tinkering with, that could become a hobby in its own right. But I have a lot of other toys crying out for use, and for maintenance, so maybe I need something I can wipe with oil and put away.

Anxious to hear what insurance is going to give me for my SKS. I paid $150 for it, shiny new, and didn't put much wear on it to speak of.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Get the modern rifle first, really you need a good gum with optics capability first, then you can get a mosin, I suggest getting a type 53 carbine, they look rough but almost always the metals fantastic, and they shoot great, and they are the same price as the regular rifle....

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Or you could just learn to shoot the Mosin with Iron sights. You don't have to have a scope to hunt. I spent last year with irons and ended up with meat on the table. Most hunting in this part of the country is within 100 yards anyways. The reason I wouldn't go with a Mosin is just that they are long long guns..... unless you can find a M38 or M44 which drives up the price.

IMO, get what you want, I'm just saying that you don't HAVE to HAVE a scope.

I'm actually planning on hunting with a hand gun this season and intend to shoot with iron sights.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    For some reason I'm trying to be disciplined and not just run out and refill the gun locker; so I'm researching what few purchases could give me the most flexibility. But I'm a junkie for research. Once I know the best way to remove cosmoline, how to raise the front sight needle, to refinishing the stock, which rounds are good for hunting, where to get a spam can of cheap ammo for plinking for $100, the cheapest local transfer, and then spot a great price for the gun itself, it's generally all over.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    Yes, if I were to get the Mosin, I'd really try to keep it to iron sights. Every deer I've killed has been on iron sights anyway, I think.

But as I justify which guns I am going to select... the obvious first one is a 12 gauge shotgun. So the utility of a deer rifle sort of starts where the range of a 12 gauge slug ends. An accurate gun with a scope capable of longer shots seems a better complement. Something that helps me make a better shot when I may be perpetually rusty and with eyes getting no younger... maybe a heat seeking missile.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have owned 3 Mosins (Hex and a round receivers and a M44) I sold them all because they kick like a mule and I never shot them. I put the money towards a M1A which is a lot more fun to shoot.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I know I loved shooting the SKS, and the .30-06 sort of intimidated me. An accurate specimen of .308 in a semi-automatic would be damn near perfect. But would a modern, lightweight .308 bolt gun such as I'm considering have less recoil than a heavier Mosin M 91/30? I guess probably so, because of the ability to select lighter grain bullets. I don't think an M1A is in my budget. :(

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    What I had ordered was the "B" grade 91/30 from Classic, on sale for $99. Sort of a grab bag, don't know what you are going to get. Originally I was saying out loud, "I don't care how it looks, if the bore is good. I'm thinking of it as a tool." Then I started watching videos on refinishing. I started seeing this Mosin thing as perhaps a gateway drug of some sort, and I've narrowly escaped! So far.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I know a place in hammond selling t53s, for 130, they are rough but the bores and metal are good. ..

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Have you considered a lever action Marlin or Winchester in .30-30? Should fill the bill for your hunting needs without breaking the bank or your shoulder. You can scope 'em if you wish.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    For some reason I'm trying to be disciplined and not just run out and refill the gun locker; so I'm researching what few purchases could give me the most flexibility. But I'm a junkie for research. Once I know the best way to remove cosmoline, how to raise the front sight needle, to refinishing the stock, which rounds are good for hunting, where to get a spam can of cheap ammo for plinking for $100, the cheapest local transfer, and then spot a great price for the gun itself, it's generally all over.

Yes, if I were to get the Mosin, I'd really try to keep it to iron sights. Every deer I've killed has been on iron sights anyway, I think.

But as I justify which guns I am going to select... the obvious first one is a 12 gauge shotgun. So the utility of a deer rifle sort of starts where the range of a 12 gauge slug ends. An accurate gun with a scope capable of longer shots seems a better complement. Something that helps me make a better shot when I may be perpetually rusty and with eyes getting no younger... maybe a heat seeking missile.

Considering all that, I'd just buy a light weight bolt gun in .308, or .243. A .308 is going to kick as much as a .30-06 when talking standard factory ammo. IMO, they will bruise your shoulder if you don't properly hold them. Stick your elbow out, place it in the pocket (not on your bones), pull against it firm, and you should handle the recoil fine.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I see that recommendation often, and am fond of a .30-30... but it seems to me that they more expensive than bolt guns. (Academy: Marlin 30/30 $369, Mossberg ATR 100 w/scope in various calibers $299).

Also, my dad has his Marlin .30-30 I shot my first deer with that will likely be mine one day, since my brother got my grandpa's.

So sticking with a I could go with quirky lovable fun guns with open sights, and get a Henry AR-7 .22 and a Mosin... or I can go with modern synthetic scoped guns, a Remington 597 .22 and a Marlin XS7 .308.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Ferrara's has "Chinese Type 53s" for $110. I haven't done mucn research into these, so I don't really know what that means, but I'm toying with the idea of just jumping in.

They also have Mosin Nagants for $170. Check out their facebook page if you have it, there are some pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I think the other thing with the mosin would be availability of a good expanding bullet. most modern calibers are carried almost anywhere. 54r would be a decent bit harder to find if you were to go on a trip to hunt and forgot the ammo.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Type 53 is the Chinese m44, the Russians have the machines to make them to China in 53... They are a good erudite they look rough but we're not shot much, but the chu wood stocks are so soft they crack easy, but don't rot

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Your choice, but where else will you find a rifle in the .308 power range for about $150.00?
    My mosins have all been accurate with iron sights, yes they kick but unless you get a 12 lb rifle they all will.

Hunting type ammo is not too hard to find.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I see that recommendation often, and am fond of a .30-30... but it seems to me that they more expensive than bolt guns. (Academy: Marlin 30/30 $369, Mossberg ATR 100 w/scope in various calibers $299).

Also, my dad has his Marlin .30-30 I shot my first deer with that will likely be mine one day, since my brother got my grandpa's.

So sticking with a I could go with quirky lovable fun guns with open sights, and get a Henry AR-7 .22 and a Mosin... or I can go with modern synthetic scoped guns, a Remington 597 .22 and a Marlin XS7 .308.

Find a used .30-30. They are cheaper because everyone thinks .30-30 is a chump round.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Saqqara, Take a ride to folsom, Ill let you shoot a 91/30 an M44 and a type 53. You can try with irons or with the scope. Then Shoot my 308. Then you can make an informed decision.

Top Bottom