Advice sought on precision 22lr competition rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drnike50

Mar 24, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I would like to gear up for competition using 22lr rifles. Any advice on the best rifle, scope, barrel, trigger, stock would be much appreciated. I'm presently shooting a Ruger 10/22 takedown, so almost anything will probably be a step up from where I am!

WILDMAN

Liberty Gun Works
    Mar 19, 2007
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Silhouette shooting out to 100 meters? I really like the 10/22 when it is customized. I have one that will shoot less than 1moa with good precision ammo. I also have a few old remington target rifles model 521T that will also shoot about 1moa with the precision ammo. Your choice depends on what you are more comfortable shooting. I custom built my own 10/22 for about $700 (price of rifle included) doing all the trigger/bolt work myself. I could have bought a custom fcg for about $200 to $250 but wanted to try it myself and it came out OK. I may eventually buy one though. If you are wanting a bolt type magazine fed rifle I may be interested in selling one of my Remington 521T's. PM for details if interested

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Ditch it and get an Annie if competition is your end goal.
    I know I would have come out gun and money ahead, but I'm stubborn that way, plus building your own 10/22 in a hell of a lot of fun.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Go to the match. See what works for the majority of people doing well in the discipline in which you want to participate. An Annie would work well for small bore. You may can get away with a lesser rifle or buy used rifle of the quality other shooters are using.

xmeister

xmeister
    Sep 21, 2010
    Prairieville
    If you want to be competitive, look at an Anschutz mod 54, find an old Rem 40-x or buy a used bench rest rifle. Get a minimum of 24x target scope, then start testing individual lots of good ammo. Ammo is where the game is won or lost. Forget about a 10-22.

Lanny

highstandard40

Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was going to stay out of this thread because I have no real world experience in 22LR Benchrest. But I think Lanny is correct in the suggestion to forget about a 10-22. I did speak at length with some 22LR benchrest shooters in Wilmington, NC while I was there competing in a Regional Handgun match last year and none of them used 10-22s. Now there can be no doubt that 10-22 precision has taken some amazing leaps, but I don't think they have risen to the level of the guns Lanny suggested.

Top Bottom