Louisiana Expungements do not allow firearm ownership according to NICS/FBI/DOJ

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    Got this back from the NRA Civil Rights defense people today

The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund recently supported a similar case in Montana and lost. The issue was whether Montana's restoration of rights satisfies the requirements of 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(20), or is it insufficient based on the holding in Caron v. United States, 118 S.Ct. 2007 (1998), which held a person cannot be convicted under federal law of being a felon in possession of a firearm stemming from a state felony conviction if the state law that removed the disability allows the person to possess all firearms (rifle, shotgun, pistol). On the other hand, a person may be convicted under federal law of being a felon in possession of a firearm stemming from a state felony conviction if state law allows such a person to possess only certain firearms, e.g., rifles and shotguns, but not pistols. In this case, Mr. Van de hule was denied permission to purchase a hunting rifle following a background check. A lawsuit was filed. The court held that Montana’s refusal to grant a license to carry a pistol to a person whose civil rights have been restored meant that under Caron he could not possess any firearm under federal law. Consequently, a person with restored rights may be denied a license to carry a pistol concealed. Van der hule filed an amended complaint in U.S. District Court seeking declaratory relief that the full restoration of rights by Montana no longer makes him a prohibited person under 18 U.S. Code § 922(g)(1), and that the federal background check system should be ordered to issue a proceed response to a background check. The court denied relief on September 15, 2009. It ruled that his inability to obtain a Montana license to carry a concealed firearm means that he falls under the all or nothing prohibition established in the Caron v. United States decision. An appeal was taken to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. The court on July 16, 2014, held that Van de hule falls under the all or nothing prohibition established in Caron. The court applied intermediate scrutiny and held that his Second Amendment rights were not violated. Van Der Hule v. Holder, 2014 U.S. App. LEXIS 13531.

I sent back a email asking if it would be viable to challenge the constitutionality of LARS 40:1379.3(c)(10). Will see what they say.
    This is the first I had heard about this problem in Montana.

infringed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Louisiana

The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund recently supported a similar case in Montana and lost. The issue was whether Montana's restoration of rights satisfies the requirements of 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(20), or is it insufficient based on the holding in Caron v. United States, 118 S.Ct. 2007 (1998), which held a person cannot be convicted under federal law of being a felon in possession of a firearm stemming from a state felony conviction if the state law that removed the disability allows the person to possess all firearms (rifle, shotgun, pistol). On the other hand, a person may be convicted under federal law of being a felon in possession of a firearm stemming from a state felony conviction if state law allows such a person to possess only certain firearms, e.g., rifles and shotguns, but not pistols. In this case, Mr. Van de hule was denied permission to purchase a hunting rifle following a background check. A lawsuit was filed. The court held that Montana’s refusal to grant a license to carry a pistol to a person whose civil rights have been restored meant that under Caron he could not possess any firearm under federal law. Consequently, a person with restored rights may be denied a license to carry a pistol concealed. Van der hule filed an amended complaint in U.S. District Court seeking declaratory relief that the full restoration of rights by Montana no longer makes him a prohibited person under 18 U.S. Code § 922(g)(1), and that the federal background check system should be ordered to issue a proceed response to a background check. The court denied relief on September 15, 2009. It ruled that his inability to obtain a Montana license to carry a concealed firearm means that he falls under the all or nothing prohibition established in the Caron v. United States decision. An appeal was taken to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. The court on July 16, 2014, held that Van de hule falls under the all or nothing prohibition established in Caron. The court applied intermediate scrutiny and held that his Second Amendment rights were not violated. Van Der Hule v. Holder, 2014 U.S. App. LEXIS 13531.

The Van der Hule v. United States opinion from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals can be found here: https://mega.co.nz/#!71RxGBRa!NUqJitefzXWaJm-iYvJjciskkckgFyxFD5euH8vxx6k

The Montana statute pertaining to this is 45-8-321: http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2003/mca/45/8/45-8-321.htm

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

I sent back a email asking if it would be viable to challenge the constitutionality of LARS 40:1379.3(c)(10). Will see what they say.
    This is the first I had heard about this problem in Montana.
    I'm a little confused here. Is this saying that he can legally own/possess but cannot purchase?

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    No it says that since he cannot have a concealed carry in Montana that he cannot possess or purchase according to federal law.
    The down side to challenging the constitutionality is that if you loose the local reps will probably never consider changing the CHP laws.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The issue was whether Montana's restoration of rights satisfies the requirements of 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(20), or is it insufficient based on the holding in Caron v. United States, 118 S.Ct. 2007 (1998), ***which held a person cannot be convicted under federal law of being a felon in possession of a firearm stemming from a state felony conviction if the state law that removed the disability allows the person to possess all firearms (rifle, shotgun, pistol). On the other hand, a person may be convicted under federal law of being a felon in possession of a firearm stemming from a state felony conviction if state law allows such a person to possess only certain firearms, e.g., rifles and shotguns, but not pistols. In this case, Mr. Van de hule was denied permission to purchase a hunting rifle following a background check.***

See how that can be confusing?

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    The court denied relief on September 15, 2009. It ruled that his inability to obtain a Montana license to carry a concealed firearm means that he falls under the all or nothing prohibition established in the Caron v. United States decision. An appeal was taken to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. The court on July 16, 2014, held that Van de hule falls under the all or nothing prohibition established in Caron. The court applied intermediate scrutiny and held that his Second Amendment rights were not violated. Van Der Hule v. Holder, 2014 U.S. App. LEXIS 13531.

This is where I saw the problem. And yes this is all very confusing. Think about it for a second according to state law I can carry a rifle, shotgun or pistol as long as I dont conceal it. I am somehow much more dangerous if I go to class and get a CHP. Dont know about most people but that sounds ridiculous to me.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Ron Paul had an easy fix for this and similar situations. He wanted to repeal the 1968 Nazi GCA. It is too bad that most Republicans and Democrats do not want to uphold the Constitution.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Anyone else get one of these? Basically state law does not trump federal law and state restoration of rights are pointless and a waste of time and money

67965250fe6869d2454ac07c64da784e.jpg

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    There are only two ways to remedy the situation:
    1. Gold Seal Pardon from the governor (It only remedies the situation on an individual basis and there's no way in the world the governor is going to sign the number of pardons it would require to make all of the 893 & 894'ers legal under Caron v. United States)
    2. The State of Louisiana would have to rewrite the CHP law so that individuals with 893 & 894 convictions would not be prohibited from obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    This is how we need it to look.

http://www.sog.unc.edu/node/2673#_ftn2

Firearm Rights after Felony Conviction

Revised March 2014

This part deals with North Carolina procedures for restoration of the right to possess a firearm after conviction of a nonviolent felony (seeTable 19). The restoration procedure, in G.S. 14-415.4, became effective February 1, 2010, meaning that a person who meets the criteria in that statute is eligible for restoration whether his or her offense or conviction occurred before or after February 1, 2010.*See*S.L. 2010-108(H 1260), as amended by*S.L. 2011-2*(H 18) (clarifying effective date). A person with a nonviolent felony conviction in North Carolina or in another jurisdiction may petition for restoration of firearm rights in North Carolina if the person meets the statutory criteria.[1]

An order granting restoration overrides G.S. 14-415.1, which otherwise bans a person convicted of a felony from purchasing, owning, possessing, or having any firearm or weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in G.S. 14-288.8(c).*See*G.S. 14-415.4(a), (b). Restoration also removes the felony conviction bar on eligibility for a handgun permit (see*G.S. 14-404(c)) and for a concealed handgun permit.*See*G.S. 14-415.12(b)(3).[2]*Restoration does not constitute an expunction or pardon. G.S. 14-415.4(i).

Federal law also imposes a firearms ban for felony convictions. 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(1).[3]*Federal law lifts this ban if a person’s civil rights have been restored unless the restoration does not permit the person to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms. 18 U.S.C 921(a)(20). Completion of a felony sentence alone does not lift the federal firearms ban because although North Carolina law restores a person’s civil rights after the person completes his or her sentence, it continues to impose a firearms ban.[4]*Whether North Carolina's restoration process lifts the federal firearms ban for felony convictions is beyond the scope of this edition of the guide.*See generally Caron v. United States, 524 U.S. 308 (1998). <--- Sounds about right.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Caron v. U.S., - U.S. - (1998)
    In this case the Supreme court decides that in order for a felon's right to own firearms to be considered restored under state law, the state must give him the right to own any firearm at all, and not just some firearms, even if the specific firearms he is caught with he is allowed to have under state law. In this case Caron could legally have long guns under Mass. law, but could not possess handguns outside his home or business, due to his felony convictions under Mass. law. He was caught possessing only rifles and shotguns, but the federal court still enhanced his sentence for committing another crime for being a felon in possession of firearms. *The Supreme court affirms that reasoning, deciding that the fact that his firearm possession was legal under the state law, the same law that is supposed to determine whether his conviction bars him from owning firearms does not matter, as this is a federal law, and this is what Congress must have meant, to deny firearms ownership rights to the largest group of people possible.* The court in this case, and in the*Bryan v. US, eviserates two of the reforms the NRA pushed very hard to get in the 1986 FOPA.

Another good read on the subject, especially for those who don't see a problem with this. http://www.constitution.org/ussc/524-308jr.htm

Last edited:

325paratrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    St. Mary
    Add one more. Just found this discussion while researching my own situation. Received my NICS appeal back Friday stating that since I'm ineligible for a LA CCP, I'm now a prohibited person, after not being a prohibited person as of my last NICS check (August of last year). I contacted a lawyer in New Orleans who deals with a lot of firearms and Gun Trust issues and he said his phone has been ringing off of the hook since June about this issue and he's currently researching a way to attack DOJ's interpretation of Caron v. U.S. He's supposed to get back to me next week so I guess we'll see what happens.

Am I wrong, or does this now create a conflict between state and federal law?

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Add one more. Just found this discussion while researching my own situation. Received my NICS appeal back Friday stating that since I'm ineligible for a LA CCP, I'm now a prohibited person, after not being a prohibited person as of my last NICS check (August of last year). I contacted a lawyer in New Orleans who deals with a lot of firearms and Gun Trust issues and he said his phone has been ringing off of the hook since June about this issue and he's currently researching a way to attack DOJ's interpretation of Caron v. U.S. He's supposed to get back to me next week so I guess we'll see what happens.

Am I wrong, or does this now create a conflict between state and federal law?

It sure seems like a conflict since LA Legislature specifically states that after 10 years of no felony convictions....FIREARM rights ARE RESTORED.
    None of the other cases which went before the Supreme Courts had a state law similar to La which specifically restored all rights INCLUDING FIREARMS the way Louisiana spells it out with the 10 year rule. Furthermore...La Attorney General Opinions also interpreted that gun rights are restored after 10 years for non-violent felonies.

RS 14:95.1
    C. The provisions of this Section prohibiting the possession of firearms and carrying concealed weapons by persons who have been convicted of certain felonies shall not apply to any person who has not been convicted of any felony for a period of ten years from the date of completion of sentence, probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    It sure seems like a conflict since LA Legislature specifically states that after 10 years of no felony convictions....FIREARM rights ARE RESTORED.
    None of the other cases which went before the Supreme Courts had a state law similar to La which specifically restored all rights INCLUDING FIREARMS the way Louisiana spells it out with the 10 year rule. Furthermore...La Attorney General Opinions also interpreted that gun rights are restored after 10 years for non-violent felonies.

RS 14:95.1
    C. The provisions of this Section prohibiting the possession of firearms and carrying concealed weapons by persons who have been convicted of certain felonies shall not apply to any person who has not been convicted of any felony for a period of ten years from the date of completion of sentence, probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

This states that not only have all firearm rights been restored, but this states implicitly that the right to CCW is not prohibited after 10 years. Therefore 40:1379(10) should NOT be valid.

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    The 2 laws do contradict one another. I know for a fact that the LSP uses 40:1379. I have asked how they choose which law to use and have not gotten a answer from anyone. It would seem with the change in the state constitution this should be a non issue but so far that has not been the way it has worked.

325paratrooper please let us know what the lawyer says when he gets back to you.

Last edited:

325paratrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    St. Mary
    Will do. The issue seems to me that the feds are considering a CCP as a right, but states consider a CCP a privelege. One will have to accept the other's definition. It would be poetic justice if this attempt to broaden the definition of "prohibited persons" ends up making a CCP a federally recognized right. That would scrap the training and proficiency requirements also. Hmmm...I can hear Bloomberg and his Moms squealing already.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Will do. The issue seems to me that the feds are considering a CCP as a right, but states consider a CCP a privelege. One will have to accept the other's definition. It would be poetic justice if this attempt to broaden the definition of "prohibited persons" ends up making a CCP a federally recognized right. That would scrap the training and proficiency requirements also. Hmmm...I can hear Bloomberg and his Moms squealing already.
    Wouldn't get your hopes up on federal change. State, possibly but will take some time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom