Smart TVs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    Hitman,

So is it mostly pre - recorded tv shows or are their lives like there are for sports?

Is there a need for the Roku 3 at $100 vs the cheaper Roku 1 or 2 for $50?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hitman,

So is it mostly pre - recorded tv shows or are their lives like there are for sports?

Is there a need for the Roku 3 at $100 vs the cheaper Roku 1 or 2 for $50?

Only the Watch ESPN and some News Channels are live. Some of the Pay Channels too.
    Everything else is pre-recorded. I think Hulu+ is like the day after or something.

I don't know, b/c I hate watching TV shows AS they are happening b/c you have to wait a week per episode, months per season.
    I much prefer the way I do it now. If I want to sit down and watch a couple episodes of Breaking Bad, I can.
    If the Season 2 Finale of 'The Killing' is so awesome I want to see Ep. 1 of Season 3 now, I just hit PLAY!
    ....and no commercials.... ;)

I have one of the first Roku's ever. Big Black Box and a 3 year old Roku 2. They both work fine.
    Mainly b/c the software has been updated via firmware. The box is just the portal.

However, I'd buy the Roku 3 if I were going to pick one up.
    I've read it's very fast plus the new remotes are very nice.
    Plus with the 3 you get USB and MicroSd as well as casting from your phone.
    Which is a little different than wifi control of the box like they have now.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Just went and got the Roku 3. Added a few channels so far but will have to figure it out more later. Thanks for yalls input.

Do you have Netflix/Amazon Prime?

Download Roku App on your phone
    and you can access content and channels quickly. Even search for new channels.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have Netflix. Already signed in to that and Pandora. I created a Hulu account. Looks like they have most of the shows we watch. Don't like how some say free but you have to actually use your cable provider.
    Your right. There are so many crazy channels you could never see them all.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I didn't read everything But I had an almost brand new Samsung 60" quad core- 240 CMR Smart TV. I say had, because I moved to a new house right after buying it and it wouldn't fit where it needed to be at the new house. I sold it and bought a Vizio because everyone said " they are just as good as a Samsung". Blasphemy, its like someone trying to say that a ha-pernt is "just as good as a glock". Moral of the story is that I now have the same model Samsung in a 50" (with a ridiculous picture and "smart" features) and a vizio in an extra bedroom for kids to play video games on.

Aristotle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A couple of things. For starters the Vizio "Smart" TV apps suck. I had Netflix, and CONSTANTLY had problems with the Vizio app. Next, Amazon Fire TV is friggin AWESOME. Once I got it (I'm an Amazon Prime member) I cancelled Netflix a week later. It never hangs, is ridiculously fast and I have never had a problem with it. At times, it only had the ability to BUY vs rent movies that I want, but that's my only issue with it. TV manufacturers just don't build in the kind of hardware or bulletproof software platforms (or maybe RAM or processing power...I don't know, but the ish doesn't work like it should) needed to seamlessly run apps. Vizios are still good TVs though. I would buy one that has a minimum of 120hz refresh rate which is a high enough quality picture to watch just about anything and it still performs well with Bluray, etc and forget about the rest of the bells and whistles except for the highest resolution and the number of HDMI ports you need. You can buy them cheap on Amazon or even at Costco. We recently got a 50 for the den and a 32 for the bedroom and both were cheap compared to what retail outlets want for "top of the line."

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Just bought. 55" Samsung smart tv. I like it. Made some stuff I had obsolete but I like now that the only thing hooked up to my tv is a ps4. Less cables.
    Anyone want to buy a Apple TV or blue ray player or xbox360? Haha

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Digging a little bit, but does anyone use a keyboard with their smart tv that works with all or most of the apps? I recently bought a Samsung UN65J6200, which is a 2015 model TV, and all the reviews for keyboards reporting problems are 2 or 3 years old. Don't know if issues have been addressed or if they still only really work with the browser.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I recently bought a smart tv for my bedroom, I like it. It was $50 more than the same tv without smart, well worth it in my opinion. My son loves it! It is not as quick as using a wii or such, but that was expected. I do not hook computers to my tv, just never have. I like that my phone communicates with it and will send video to the tv if I choose. Did I mention that my kid loves it? It is mostly only used for Netflix, youtube and amazon prime and I don't have a keyboard.
    I don't watch much tv, maybe a couple hours a week, mostly before sleeping, so all the fancy stuff isn't real important to me. My old 720 plasma is just fine in my book, technology need not progress any further, but the smart features are nice!

Last edited:

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    You should look into a amazon prime membership and a amazon fire stick, there are tons for shows, and movies for everyone in the family. Amazon prime is $99 a year and the fire stick is $39 (one time charge), plus you get free two day shipping with the prime account.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I like my Samsung. The ONLY issue I get is a "hick-up" in the sound when streaming anything in 4k. Very rarely in 1080, but it does happen. If I stream from my Xbox however, no issues. So I'm leaning towards its some sort of TV issue.
    I also found that it wont take a hard line connection. I haven't figured that out but I can never get it to see that I've plugged a wire into the back of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom