Favorite Rail and Muzzle Device?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    What is your favorite rail or muzzle device? There are SO any out there, it is daunting to pick the device for someone else. I personally like the old school A1 bird cage... if I am not using a suppressor. I do like the YHM flash hiders, a solid piece and a good price. I am torn between the ALG defense free float rails and the Troy rails with the little rubber O's, and the RRA free float tube feels nice also! Just building a run of uppers and looking for what people like. Everyone has to have their own proprietary rail these days!!!

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    maybe keep it modular ... you really can't go wrong with the magpul fore ends for simplicity sake, I'm sure folks would love it, if you offer a couple of varieties of free float tubes. as for muzzle devices, i'd go with the A2 birdcage for the masses, and carry higher ended stuff like ALG or Ferfrans or Lantac or JP etc.

if you carried some upper tier free float tubes, key mod rails or any other modular rail, i'd be a customer for sure!

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    The Troy rail with the rubber O's does look really cool!

I really like the MI Gen 2 SS rail. It's a perfect small diameter rail, easy to grab onto and can put a rail section anywhere. These can be found on many assembled uppers from PSA, Core 15, etc.

However, my next build will likely be with a keymod rail as this seems to becoming the new rage with an increasing line of keymod only accessories.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    My new free float hand guard came with a continuous full length top rail machined into it.
    And my favorite muzzle device is a thread cap. Damn muzzle devices make the gun too loud.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Midwest industries ss 12" free float, with a afg, fits great, really light, slim, and a yhm muzzle brake, loud but works great, but then again all brakes are loud lol

LA_LEO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I like my Troy Alpha Rail. As far as muzzel device...I currently run a Battle Comp. I shot a buddies BCM Gunfighter Comp the other day and was HIGHLY impressed! It felt as if he was running an adjustable gas block and had it tuned just right! I might be in the market for a BCM soon

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I like the Daniel Defense drop in rails. Pretty easy to install and they work great, plus they just came out with a model that has keymod.

Front Sight magazine did a comparison of different muzzle devices to give you an idea of how they will affect movement of the barrel. They strapped a bright green laser to the side of the barrel and took long exposure photos of a target as they fired a single shot to show how the laser traced along the target. It gives you a pretty solid idea of how each device affects muzzle movement. They had the guns in a wheeled sled and used how much the sled rolled back as a rough gauge of recoil reduction. My only complaint is they only had one control - no muzzle device, and didn't compare standard A1/A2 flash hiders to see if those have any measureable impact on muzzle rise and recoil compared to no muzzle device.

Write up is here, my takeaway is the best bang for the buck in terms of muzzle rise compensation and recoil reduction was the Miculek. Other compensators performed better, but IMHO not enough to justify their vastly higher prices compared to the Miculek. Maybe if you're a higher end 3-gun shooter, but I'm not there yet.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I like the midwest keymod rails. I need one for my scar. Just came out last month. That with a thorntail mount and insight wml.

As far as muzzle devices. I liked my troy medieval brake. The factory one on my scar is a pws i believe. Its effective but loud, as expected.

Last edited:

Patchgunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    Lafayette
    Lantac = hands down number one in the flat muzzle department

Hand guards is personal preference = I prefer smaller od modular tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    Rainier Arms SWITCH .308 Rail 15.5 (has a slant and few difference from the fortis)
    Rainier Arms RAC .308 Comp

Just started putting together my new .308 AR and the Rainier/Fortis stuff is amazing.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a Daniel defense lite rail on pretty much all my ar's but seems like the new thing is key mod rails. I got to try bcm's rail, and man the thin diameter and smooth sides were nice. And you add rail sections or specific accessories to different areas. Overall it's a great product, but too pricey to change all of my guns over. But my next build will probably have some sort or propitiatory rail that has smooth sides (everyone is making one, seeking, mi, bcm, just to name a few)

As far as muzzle device, I like any of the aac 51t adapters but then again I'm partial. I owned a noveske kx3, bcm gun fighter, levang linear, vortex 4 prong, and another one that slips my mind. Over all they work, the vortex seemed louder than the others (all on sbr's)

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    I used a CMMG RKM9 keymod rail on my latest upper. I really like it. It's slim profile is really nice. I like that the barrel nut did not need to be timed for the gas tube also. Very light, and also inexpensive.

984197_10103710968356695_7252266484822386493_n.jpg

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore

Patchgunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm gunna be honest I'm a m lok fan boy now. It's a great system. I'm also a alg emr handguard fan. Light weight modular and all get out and a excellent barrel nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Most of my AR's carry a levang linear comp. works like it should, everything goes out the front, less noise, less cost.
    Not a big fan of having pounds of add ons so the Magpul Handguards work fine for most of mine, but Troy and Seekins does offer some nice stuff.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    most of my rifles have DD lite rails, They are light, rigid and can mount pretty much anything to them since they are full railed. A few of my rifles have keymod rails (seekins MCSR and Knights URX 4.0) and though feel great in hand since they are round. I don't like the fact I have spend money to ADD a rail section. Only thing keymod they have are panels, hand stops and VFG's. If I wanted to add a light, laser, beer bottle opener etc. I'll have to add a rail section.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I know this isn't what the OP probably was referring to, but my favorite muzzle device: A bayonet. Preferably a blade, not the communist spike style.

Top Bottom